Pre-Painted auto body parts?

JHZR2

Staff member
Anyone have any success buying pre painted auto body parts?

There's a vendor with such a name (paintedautobodyparts) that sells them, including CAPA certified ones.

I need to get an S-10 hood at some point as mine has rust bumps.

Sure I could get unpainted and a shop do it, or get used and have a shop strip and repaint. I'd imagine that the first option there would be more expensive, the second higher risk of getting rust after some time.

Any thoughts?

I bought a bumper cover painted and delivered to my door for about half the cost that I was quoted locally. It looked perfect. I would do it again

Unless you're saving it as a collector car why replace a hood for rust patches.? That is unless they're massive holes. In the forever of old cars in the salt mine here in Rustville I've never changed a hood while everything else done was just a stop gap to eventual destruction. The reason, it's not down in the flying crap that causes it all. Hood fixes are retry simple and last permanently🤞🻠. The issue is getting it perfect as it's right up top where everyone sees it.....
Aside from that pre painted sounds kinda 💸. Like special💸💸💸💸order kinda pricy. [censored] they come pre primed anyways how much can it cost to shoot it at a body shop, say 40 for a pint of paint far less clear coat then labor......and it's a pathetically simple fun type job in a shop. It would take me an hour in the driveway a pro 20 minutes.
If you do decide to go that route do make sure to call around. Some places will tell you rocket science stories and want💸💸 while others welcome such things for a fair price.

Last edited:
Paint fades over time so the hood on even a 3 year old car won't match the code exactly. A body shop will tint the paint to match the car. Not something possible with the pre-painted parts. Might not be too far off to notice on a hood, but you can always see some cars that have had a fender or door painted and there is a definite difference between the adjacent panels.

A lot of it is going to depend on your personal tolerance of something that might not match quite properly. If your tolerance is fairly high, go for it.

I put an eBay chrome rear step bumper from Taiwan on my Silverado. For $150 delivered, a complete kit... brackets and all, was on my doorstep in three days. My tolerance level was pretty high. For the price, I honestly wasn't disappointed.

That said, there are colors that are going to match easier than others. Maybe your S10 is white or black.

I've seen otherwise good bodyshops do a horrible job of matching paint, even when the vehicle was right in front of them. One is a local second generation shop, that couldn't match the paint on a co-worker's Tahoe, that is is same color as my Silverado (Sport Red). Even from 20 feet away, it isn't right.

What's the existing paint like? How old? Is it 2 tone? Metallic? Pearlescent? Standard? What kind of finish, matte, high gloss??

If it's a basic blk/wht then pre painted might be the way to go. But if the existing paint job is more complex than a basic blk high gloss, than your best chance of getting a good match will be to have a body shop paint and blend.

Wow! Cool site! a Painted bumper cover for my Mustang GT is only $271! too bad my paint code (E8) isn't listed
confused2.gif

The hood of my Prius was body-shop painted under a previous owner and that paint is going one way while the rest of the car is going another. I don't like it.

I'd find a "southern hood" that was OE painted under the same process as the rest of your truck, with hopes that it will continue to fade and weather as everything else.

It's not an emergency, so take your time.

The paint won't match the rest of the vehicle but if you don't care about that, it's probably the best option cost-wise.

Depends on the paint code, hit or miss on how easy it is to match. But on a older car, you need to blend, too much pigment will have faded. Either have a shop respray yours or get some touch up.

What is the price on the pre-painted hood? I'd imagine having a shop do a decent job prepping and painting one you brought in would be $300-500?

I wouldn't be too worried about perfect paint match on an S-10 pickup, but that's me.

Little late to the party, and this is not an advertisement and i am not an affiliate.,

I have tried almost every painted part supplier in the US from ebay, amazon and individual websites. There is only one that has their game together and knows what they're doing. I have ordered probably 15 different parts from MBI Auto (Bumpers That Deliver) over the last 3 or 4 years and have had no issues. Customer service is next to none

Bumpers That Deliver // MBI Auto

I used pre-painted front bumper cover on my old 04 Grand Prix. I matched perfectly and looked great. Car was black.

I used a prepainted door handle on a 2000 Camry and it matched prefectly. Purchased off eBay.
This particular door handle is famous for breaking on these cars.

Here’s a question. With modern clear coats, does paint actually fade with time anymore?
Yes. Many elements come into play. Amount of sun, amount of time vehicle sits in the sun, proper car washing technique, salt from the ocean, salt from the roads during the winter etc etc

Back