PQIA Toyota 0w20 results are something!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Came here looking for a post on it since I was catching up on PQI's testing this year.

From results and price point, I still really prefer 0w20 M1 AFE. Just a nice balance of what I want in an oil, but for homebrew blending; and not knowing TGMO's price point, it is still fun the potential blends with oils balanced this way.

Is there another low NOACK, relatively high TBN and respectable VI 20 grade oil out there to rival M1's AFE? I'd soon as consider Pennzoil Ultra Platinum if it existed at WM locally but alas...
21.gif
19.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Valvoline’s VAS 5w20 has a Noack of 7.6.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

My impression is that T knew that, in their engines, a 0W20 viscosity would not ensure hydrodinamic lubrication. Thus the strong additive pack.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Came here looking for a post on it since I was catching up on PQI's testing this year.

From results and price point, I still really prefer 0w20 M1 AFE. Just a nice balance of what I want in an oil, but for homebrew blending; and not knowing TGMO's price point, it is still fun the potential blends with oils balanced this way.

Is there another low NOACK, relatively high TBN and respectable VI 20 grade oil out there to rival M1's AFE? I'd soon as consider Pennzoil Ultra Platinum if it existed at WM locally but alas...
21.gif
19.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Valvoline’s VAS 5w20 has a Noack of 7.6.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

Not bad but expected of a 5w20. The VI leaves a lot to be desired in that aspect naturally the cost of low NOACK like this.

... The VI leaves a lot to be desired in that aspect naturally the cost of low NOACK like this.
High VI is overrated, unless you actually need it. Son of Joe has repeatedly advocated (hypothetical) 10W-20.

Ah, I missed this!

The formula has changed! See the old formula here.

BOQI = 66. So, it's a GTL-based oil. It beats PPPP and everything else in base-oil quality, except the PAO-containing M1 0W-20 and Amsoil SS 0W-20, which score around 80.

It was all-calcium before. Now, it's a modern formulation with hybrid calcium and magnesium. Boron is still here.

Moly content is amazing! They really want to get the best MPG.

It looks like they are getting ready for the ILSAC GF-6/API SP era. This oil will probably be relabeled when those specs arrive in late 2019 or early 2020.

Solid oil with an amazing add pack! It's slightly inferior in base oil to M1 but yet superior to PPPP. It's add pack is the strongest for any ILSAC oil out there! The extra VII won't hurt -- it might even help.

You won't go wrong with this oil. The only caveat is to negotiate a good price with the dealer. This is the current official price but the dealers charge even more:

TGMO MSRP

Ha! Guess what! I have already had this high-moly GTL formulation of TGMO 0W-20 SN in my engine for over 3,000 miles! I had no idea I had this. I always thought I had the old Group III formulation with lower dose of moly and calcium detergent.

I've been wondering why the engine has been running so ridiculously smooth. It kind of feels like a thicker oil from how sturdy the engine feels when I go full throttle etc. It's now explained given the quality of the base oil and amount of moly present.

I can't wait to do a UOA on it! Stay tuned!

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Ha! Guess what! I have already had this high-moly GTL formulation of TGMO 0W-20 SN in my engine for over 3,000 miles! I had no idea I had this. I always thought I had the old Group III formulation with lower dose of moly and calcium detergent.

I've been wondering why the engine has been running so ridiculously smooth. It kind of feels like a thicker oil from how sturdy the engine feels when I go full throttle etc. It's now explained given the quality of the base oil and amount of moly present.

So it’s possible to define a better base oil by how it runs in the engine?

It's just a subjective observation so far. It will be interesting to see if a better base oil and add pack translates into a better UOA, which will be far more objective.

You should know by now that you can IMAGINE science into being...better than any religion.

Most people say a engine sounds quieter or runs smoother after fresh oil is put in. That could be true to some extent or it’s mostly a placebo effect. I’ll wager it’s a little of both.

Most people say a engine sounds quieter or runs smoother after fresh oil is put in. That could be true to some extent or it’s mostly a placebo effect. I’ll wager it’s a little of both.

Well it's been over 3,000 miles and a year and it feels smoother and smoother, with no sign of oil degradation.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Well it's been over 3,000 miles and a year and it feels smoother and smoother, with no sign of oil degradation.

Good to hear. I also get the same experience with the Valvoline I am running. The engine is very quiet and my fuel economy numbers are up. It’s a winning combo.

I just did a UOA on my highlander with the same batch of Toyota oil. Moly was only 38.
Same label and code on back. I did buy the case a couple of months ago.

Originally Posted By: CR94
The highish volatility is predictable, given the high viscosity index and low CCS numbers. It may not be such a great plan for engines notorious for carbon-clogged rings.
High VI in a finished oil = large amounts of viscosity improvers.

Originally Posted by Gokhan

Im glad that it's running good for your car.

Note that high moly is now something to be avoided...4 weeks is a long time in scientific terms.

I changed my oil the other day and refilled with Toyota 0w-20 SN+. This is about the 20th time I've changed the oil in this car (2010 RAV4 4-cyl) using Toyota 0w-20. It is noticeably thinner at room temperature than the previous SN formulation. I put a partial bottle in the freezer (probably around -15C) and it was amazingly free-flowing. I don't have any SN available to compare directly to SN+. If anyone has some SN left over it would be interesting to compare approximate viscosities.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back