PQIA tests five more 5W-20s

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thick GTX is probably why many allude to GTX quieting up valvetrain noise.

Originally Posted By: redhat
The thick GTX is probably why many allude to GTX quieting up valvetrain noise.

Castrol has always seem to run on the thick side compared to other oils. Not a bad thing by itself but for those in colder climates, esp during winter months, they may want to choose a different oil.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
A lot of their Edge offerings could be marketed as a blend too.
laugh.gif

Castrol's new motto: We call it what we want!

I was pretty surprised at the Castrol add pack too. Over 2,600 ppm calcium? That's more than Rotella or PYB long touted as "cleaning" oils. Wow.

And then a good dose of boron with some moly too just because they can. Sheesh, is GTX the new PYB??? I am impressed.

I have never cared for Castrol's marketing but I have long used a LOT of their oils, stuff like this certainly appeals to me.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I was pretty surprised at the Castrol add pack too. Over 2,600 ppm calcium? That's more than Rotella or PYB long touted as "cleaning" oils. Wow.

And then a good dose of boron with some moly too just because they can. Sheesh, is GTX the new PYB??? I am impressed.

I have never cared for Castrol's marketing but I have long used a LOT of their oils, stuff like this certainly appeals to me.

This Pennzoil had it beat:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Pennzoil.htm

Remember, the only spec that matters is noack!

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

This Pennzoil had it beat:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Pennzoil.htm

Remember, the only spec that matters is noack!

lol.gif

Seriously and unfortunately that Pennzoil is no more. Still very good but not what it was then. Man I sure used a lot of it!

Seriously and unfortunately that Pennzoil is no more. Still very good but not what it was then. Man I sure used a lot of it!

You are not a true noack worshipper! Why haven't you made a pilgrimage to Pep Boys, Piscataway, NJ and checked every PYB bottle to see if the label matches the one that PQIA tested?

pz520.gif

It wasn't really the NOACK that turned my crank about it, it was the whopping dose of moly and boron coupled with above average calcium for cleaning at 2,400 ppm. That was sold me, that and the results when I used it.

The NOACK was a fluke IMO, but the blend of additives was consistent for 3 years or more. Now they have tinkered with it, and while it's still a fine oil I can't tell it from QSGB anymore and honestly I'm suspicious they are now the same oil in different colored bottles. Consumers get to pick whether or not they want to pay for yellow and heavy marketing, or go with low profile green and save a couple bucks.

The GTX would make a great "thin" 5-30. Castrol has always made heavy for grade oils,i feel,because of their european parents. Not a bad thing at all.

I think we exaggerate their thickness. Their HTHS is quite likely much the same as every other competitor on the market. If you want a thick 20 grade, Red Line is about the only real option.

Yeah probably around 2.7 instead of the more common 2.6. Whoopee.

The best thick for grade 5w20's are cleverly disguised on the shelf under the label "5w30".
laugh.gif

I definitely felt the difference between Edge 10w30 and Ultimate Durability 5w30.

I have some Edge 5w20 to put in at a future date and it will be interesting to compare it to thinner 5w20s that I have or have tried such a PP 5w20 and UD 5w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back