PQIA analyzes five 5W-20s, two with issues, Feb 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha

"is compatible with SN, SM, SL and ILSAC GF-5 service classification."

Talk about weasel words. They are honest, they did not say it meets the API/SN spec.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Hahaha

"is compatible with SN, SM, SL and ILSAC GF-5 service classification."

Talk about weasel words. They are honest, they did not say it meets the API/SN spec.
smile.gif

And is named "MORGAS".

I always enjoy visiting PQI America, but I have to admit, I never hear of these consumer alert brands.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I always enjoy visiting PQI America, but I have to admit, I never hear of these consumer alert brands.

They are usually found in a Stop-n-Rob aka Convenience store. They have some oddball oils on the shelves sometimes. Whatever they can get for $.25/quart and mark up to $6/quart is all they are looking for it seems.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Talk about weasel words.

They're not really weasel words. They're accurate. The PQIA doesn't run the entire regimen of tests required for SN/GF-5 certification. It's a lot easier to demonstrate cheaply that the oil is out of spec, rather than within spec. A $30 VOA can show that the viscosity is totally wrong or that the phosphorus is out of whack. Those are enough to preclude GF-5 certification, for instance. Confirming the certification, however, takes a little more than checking viscosity, Noack, and running an elemental analysis.

I suppose the working assumption is that someone trying to cheat the consumer by selling something that can't meet the specification isn't going to have something that's pretty darned close. They're likely going to be offering something that's grossly unsuitable.

On the plus side, Havoline and O'R brand look respectable. Nice shot of moly in both, and at least in this sample, Havoline Noack looks good. Havoline a good everyday price at WM.

Thanks Tom.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
On the plus side, Havoline and O'R brand look respectable. Nice shot of moly in both, and at least in this sample, Havoline Noack looks good. Havoline a good everyday price at WM.

Thanks Tom.

Yup, Havoline is just as good and not inferior to any oil from any major oil company. When you buy Havoline your buying oil, not marketing expenses.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Thanks Tom.

Yup, Havoline is just as good and not inferior to any oil from any major oil company. When you buy Havoline your buying oil, not marketing expenses.

And that is why they are not on the shelf at Advance auto anymore. Sad thing is people love to say Ads don't work on them, yet the stuff that advertises the most seems to sell the most as well.

Yeah I have to agree. At my Walmarts Yorktown and Mechanicsville near me don't carry Havoline anymore either. And O Reilly's is likely getting rid of Havoline Pro DS and conventional as well. So, by Havoline will be gone completely from SE Va before too long. And I don't like it at all. Havoline Pro DS is a very good oil that runs very good in my Altima 3.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back