PQIA Tests 11 More Oils - Five have issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tom... have been awaiting the next batch with bated breath.

Suggestionss come on two levels...

Motorcraft oils.... because you haven't yet.

Diesel HDEO oils, majors and private labels. Lotta diesel owners out there that need help too.

Hard to believe anyone would put those oils into their car in the first place. Still, it is sad that they're even sold.

robert

I haven't heard of most of those brands.. they kinda resemble oils you'd see at truck stops or in the middle of know where.

Terrible Herbst wow can you imagine someone using Terrible Herbst??? And think they are driving on the other side of the lane. I traveled alot but I never could think of where they would be selling Terrible Herbst other than ....leave it.. alone!

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Terrible Herbst wow can you imagine someone using Terrible Herbst??? And think they are driving on the other side of the lane. I traveled alot but I never could think of where they would be selling Terrible Herbst other than ....leave it.. alone!

It's listed as a "racing oil", not many are going to be starting a engine like that in sub zero weather...

A lot of private label oils are regional and often have strange names, but make no mistake, private label oils represent about a quarter of the PCMO market. A LOT of people are buying these oils, sometimes due to price and sometimes due to convenience. BITOG members may shy away from unknown brands, but the the other 99.99% of Americans have no idea how to buy oil.

Tom NJ

Terrible Herbst is a gas station chain in the Las Vegas area, mostly co-branded with a major brand (Chevron, possibly others if I remember correctly). Still, I wouldn't chance it with an oil that didn't have a major brand on it, or, if a store brand, one that I could verify who blended it and that it was good quality.

What exactly is the point of having a maximum requirement if an oil can still be certified if it falls under the expanded number?

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Kangaroo oil.

"Headquartered in Cary, North Carolina, The Pantry, Inc. is the leading independently operated convenience store chain in the southeastern United States and one of the largest independently operated convenience store chains in the country. As of December 2, 2009, the Company operated 1,663 stores in eleven states under select banners, including Kangaroo Express(r), its primary operating banner. The Pantry's stores offer a broad selection of merchandise, as well as gasoline and other ancillary services designed to appeal to the convenience needs of its customers."

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: RamFan
What exactly is the point of having a maximum requirement if an oil can still be certified if it falls under the expanded number?

Good question. Actually, the oil cannot be certified if a test is out of specification. The "Expanded Range" is used by the API in their Aftermarket Audit Program, not in specification approval. In essence it adds the test reproducibility to the specification to account for the variability of a single test. For example, if a specification is 15% max and the test reproducibility is +- 1.6%, then a single spot test result of 16.6% could be in specification. PQIA, however, automatically runs a recheck if any results exceeds the specification.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Chevron Supreme looks like the winner in this bunch!

Agreed. Thankful it got run through, but wondering how it got lumped in with these knuckleheads.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown

I am cracking up!!! You just made my evening.......LOL!!!!

Originally Posted By: weebl
Terrible Herbst is a gas station chain in the Las Vegas area, mostly co-branded with a major brand (Chevron, possibly others if I remember correctly). Still, I wouldn't chance it with an oil that didn't have a major brand on it, or, if a store brand, one that I could verify who blended it and that it was good quality.

I bought gas at Terrible Herbst(Chevron) at Las Vegas sometimes for reason that they sell it for 5-6 cents less than other stations around. Didn't feel any difference with other gas. But never got in the store for anything.

Most drivers bought no-name oil for top-off at gas station because they sell it for a lot less than brand names, and to them oil is oil. And they only top-off because of low oil light which is usually 2-3 quarts low.

I didn't know Terrible Herbst sold an oil until the morning when I stopped in to gas up the Jag and grab a green tea. Not that I was considering buying it, but it is funny that I see this now, just about 6 hours later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back