PPL

Status
Not open for further replies.
who here has their PPL? I am seriously considering doing it. flying has been my dream since i was a boy.

My brother has it. He uses his plane all the time , to relax. His plane is lovely. I go up with him when I'm home on vacation. Owning a plane is an expensive hobby. I think he's on his third engine in 15 years.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Owning a plane is an expensive hobby.

Originally Posted By: raptorman53
Go for it. You won't regret it.

Agree with both of these statements. Flying a small plane is the most enjoyable thing I do, when I can afford it. After a complete restoration, I had to sell my little Cessna due to a major economic downturn (that had absolutely nothing to do with the plane). Sold is to the local flying service as a trainer so now I rent it from time to time for my own enjoyment. I really miss this little Cessna.

74150ext-1-1.jpg

Definitely get your PPL. It's very rewarding for a hobby. I wouldn't recommed flying as a career, though. If I knew what I know now, I would have chose something different. I got a degree and I'm a CFI. I can't find a job.

Johnny, that's a cherry 150 you had there.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I wouldn't recommed flying as a career, though. If I knew what I know now, I would have chose something different. I got a degree and I'm a CFI. I can't find a job.

Depends who you ask, I don't regret it one bit. Having 18 days off a month, not having to worry if i'm going to get B-day's or Holidays off is nice. I was a CFI for 2 years and flew bank checks risking my life everyday for a year before I got an interview with an airlines. If I was still a CFI, I would say the same thing as you.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How much does a CFI make per year ?

Depends on which type of school and where. Big flight school with lots of student's you can get up to 50K+ or more or little as 15K year at some places.

What would this cost in Australia?
The PPL in the US is affordable, but not cheap.
OTOH, the first solo in a C172 is priceless.

Agreed, my solo in my C150 was priceless. But, what was more fun than that was when my friends who own this restored Boeing Stearman, let me fly it for the first time. What a rush that was, and what a neat plane.

BoeingStearman.jpg

Do you race the L39 in Reno?

Crinkles, give it a try. It's a wonderful experience and you will learn things that carry over into other areas of your life. I began taking lessons when I was in high school. Great fun to skip study hall and go flying! I let my license lapse due to financial reasons and the fact that I didn't have quite the mind set to be a good pilot. I had the skills, but the fun was over for me when I pulled the power off on base for landing. More time, and as a friend suggested, time in a taildragger would have been helpful. I don't know why landing was so stressful for me. I always did just fine.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
but the fun was over for me when I pulled the power off on base for landing. .... I don't know why landing was so stressful for me. I always did just fine.

Ed

maybe the ground rushing up to you
10.gif

edhackett: I do not. Not interested in doing so either. My partners are also against it.

crinkles: If you do decide to get into it and after you learn try different things to keep your interest up. Aerobatics, tailwheel, gliders, etc. In fact, although I've flown a lot of heavy iron during my career, gliders were my first love and still my favorite form of aviating. The time spent towing them (especially in tailwheel) can also be enjoyable. Both of these activities will make you a better pilot. It beats watching the ground go by from altitude.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Originally Posted By: edhackett
but the fun was over for me when I pulled the power off on base for landing. .... I don't know why landing was so stressful for me. I always did just fine.

Ed

maybe the ground rushing up to you
10.gif

grin2.gif

I considered learning how to fly in the early 80s but boating took all the fun money I could spare for sport. I enjoy planes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back