PP vs Petro Canada Supreme Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau

Last edited:
I don't think you can really go wrong with either. Myself, I like the PC's better Noack and touch higher HTHS (PC is 3.2). CCS & MRV are both very close, one win to each, so I guess that's a toss up.

Pricing I got was $7.47/L which is better than regular price PP here but sale prices are usually better.

Then there's the part about using a Canadian product, which I do like....
08.gif

You're really splitting hairs with this comparo - these are probably the two 'closest' syns you can find.

PC Supreme you will NOT find on sale - only 'deal' there is the 0W-30 grade, which is under $6/litre. You are more likely to find a real deal on PP in 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: cp3
I don't think you can really go wrong with either. Myself, I like the PC's better Noack and touch higher HTHS (PC is 3.2). CCS & MRV are both very close, one win to each, so I guess that's a toss up.

Pricing I got was $7.47/L which is better than regular price PP here but sale prices are usually better.

Then there's the part about using a Canadian product, which I do like....
08.gif

Aww that's disappointing. Was going to check out the pricing to see if it was significantly better. Guess I'll stick with stocking up on PP when on sale (it hasn't been in a while! come on Walmart!)

Ya, the pricing isn't that great but then I don't know what sale pricing is on PP these days. On the other hand the 0w30 is $5.62/L which is quite a bit better, getting close to regular price conventional. You could look at the cost effectiveness of putting the 0w30 in the other cars and just running the 5w30 in the RDX.

Unfortunately the 0w30 is the only one that is a "deal". The 5w30 conventional isn't bad at $4.60/L but can be beaten with sales.

I prefer PC 0W-30 for it's higher 177 VI and high HTHSV of 3.2cP to both PP and PC 5W-30.
The fact that it's not labelled at meeting dexos 1 and HTO-06 doesn't mean it couldn't; certification is expensive.
Plus you're not paying the premium price for that certification.

Having said that, if you can get PP on sale for the equivalent of 5 buck/L it's hard to pass up. But I fear the days of $19.88/4.4L jug at Walmart are long gone.

Pc oil seems to be made for our climate. Tailored to our specific needs. You can't go wrong with either though. Buy whatever you can find cheapest

Considering how good Petro-Canada oils are, it's strange that the major retailers in Canada like Walmart, Cdn Tire, etc don't stock it.
It's a major weakness of PC; their terrible product distribution.

Mau, you should also check the price of the Acura/Honda brand 5W-30 with a couple of local dealers. Both PC and Idemitsu are the suppliers to Honda/Acura Canada. The last time I checked a 12L case could be had for under 60 bucks.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Mau, you should also check the price of the Acura/Honda brand 5W-30 with a couple of local dealers. Both PC and Idemitsu are the suppliers to Honda/Acura Canada. The last time I checked a 12L case could be had for under 60 bucks.

I don't think the Honda/Acura brand of 5w30 oils meet the HTO-06 requirement. I believe the Acura dealers use Mobil 1 5w30 for the RDX hence why it's more expensive then the other vehicles for it's oil change. At least this is what they are suppose to be doing according to the dealership I purchased the RDX from.

I may look into the 0w30 for the Maxima and TL, however the TL says 5w20 on the cap, ive been putting in PP 5w30 because I have stock and also because it's light enough to pass off as a heavy 5w20 lol (people on Acurazine are puttin Redline 5w30!).

Last edited:
The synthetic 5W-30 meets the HTO-06 spec'. I have a bottle of the Idemitsu made Genuine Acura Full Synthetic Motor Oil in front of me and it states MEETS HONDA HTO-06 SPECIFICATION.
Canadian part # CA67007.

EOM hasn't been a supplier to Honda for many years. As I said, the only lubricant suppliers now are Idemitsu and Petro-Canada.

BTW Red Line 5W-30 with it's HTHSV of 3.8cP is effectively a 40wt oil (heavier than M1 0W-40 at all temp's). Most people that use this oil don't realize that dispite the fact that RL suggests dropping a grade when switching to their products.

Mau, if the Honda/Acura 5w30 oil doesn't meet the HTO-06 standard, I would be definitely surprised. It would be like GM selling GM brand oil that wasn't Dexos for the related viscosity.

As for sub $20 per 4.4L pricing as noted by Caterham, it almost still exists if you are willing to drive to the US. Especially considering rate of exchange and WM sells 4.73L jugs...

Coprolite, a few of us do just that.
Last summer I took advantage of an M1 sale at AZ just across the border; 5qts plus M1 filter for $29.95 on some SN GF-5 0W-40.
EOM is still selling only the SM GF-4 versions of their oil in Canada for $11.79/L plus 13% tax!

Strangely, most of our new car dealer sell their OEM oil very cheaply, cheaper than most US dealers do. So we can get OEM full syn oil for about 5 bucks/L. That's often the best deal on oil sourced in Canada.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Coprolite, a few of us do just that.
Last summer I took advantage of an M1 sale at AZ just across the border; 5qts plus M1 filter for $29.95 on some SN GF-5 0W-40.
EOM is still selling only the SM GF-4 versions of their oil in Canada for $11.79/L plus 13% tax!

Strangely, most of our new car dealer sell their OEM oil very cheaply, cheaper than most US dealers do. So we can get OEM full syn oil for about 5 bucks/L. That's often the best deal on oil sourced in Canada.

So Caterham what do you think would be the best deal on oil for my vehicles in my signature.

Originally Posted By: CptnFormat
Where can I buy PC Oil's that isn't a gas station?

I'm not sure about their oil, but I bought a case of PC's Dura Drive synthetic ATF from a local distributor. It's a great product and if I recall correctly it was only $6.50 litre for a case of 12 litres. I'm going to call the same distributor to try and order a case of 5w20 oil. If you go on the PC website it will direct you to closest distributor.

Mau, honestly whatever is cheapest.
I'd call a couple local Honda or Acura dealers in your area, ask for the price of the Honda/Acura syn' 5W-30 by the litre then ask how much of a discount you can get if you buy a case of 12. It is entirely negotiable on the part of the parts mgr.
As I mentioned under 60 bucks per 12L case the dealer can still make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back