PP EURO 0W40 Cleaning Too Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Our Mini Cooper turns oil black very quickly, yet there isn’t a spot of deposit or varnish anywhere in the engine. It’s all from blowby. My X5 with the V8 is easy on oil (no turbo, has an oil cooler, and there’s 10+ quarts of it). Usually a reddish-brown color when it comes time to change it.

I will post this picture once again and explain what it represents. This engine has a spotless valve train and many would say the rest of the engine would also be spotless but the bottom of the pistons say otherwise. This cannot be seen with a boroscope, look at the piston upper middle.
It still has plenty or crud and varnish, the reason for this is it is partially blocked from splash by the pickup tube.
Look at the lower right which is totally exposed as are the other 4, see the difference? IIRC this was with Mobil 1 0w40, notice the red tint to the oil.

The engine currently has 45k miles on it and has been on a 5k OCI with LL-01 approved synthetics for its whole life. I doubt there’s much in the way of deposits or varnish.

I doubt it has any deposits also, fact is the newer cars that have only ever had decent oils show less and less all the time unless the owner uses the cheapest garbage on the shelf or didn't change the oil as it needed (notice I didn't say OLM or owners manual) to save a buck or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back