PP 5w20, 07 corolla 5531 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the UOA from the 4th oil change. I forgot to send in the sample for a few weeks. Looks fairly normal, I wish iron had came down like the copper. This oil interval was over the coldest part of winter with mostly shorter trips that were stop and go. Probably less than 40% highway driving. This also included an maint. dose of ARX and one bottle of techron the fill-up before the oil change. Did not change the oil filter (toyota OEM). Gonna try Utah Bill's formula and replaced this with plain yellow bottle 5w30 that was purchased on sale.

Blackstone didn't really have anything worth repeating so here are the numbers:

MI/HR on Oil------5531-----4910-----3920
MI/HR on Unit-----15398----9867-----4957
Sample Date-------3/20/08--11/3/07--7/5/07
Make up Oil-------0--------0--------0
ALUMINUM----------3--------3--------3
CHROMIUM----------1--------0--------0
IRON--------------9--------8--------9
COPPER------------3--------11-------31
LEAD--------------2--------2--------1
TIN---------------0--------1--------4
MOLY--------------61-------53-------115
NICKEL------------0--------0--------0
MANGANESE---------1--------1--------1
SILVER------------0--------0--------0
TITANIUM----------0--------0--------0
POTASSIUM---------0--------1--------4
BORON-------------34-------24-------40
SILICON-----------15-------18-------53
SODIUM------------8--------32-------248
CALCIUM-----------2983-----2556-----1436
MAGNESIUM---------21-------16-------8
PHOSPHORUS--------710------664------585
ZINC--------------876------777------736
BARIUM------------0--------0--------2

SUS VISC. @ 210F--52.2-----52.5-----52.7
cST VISC. @ 100C--7.93-----8.03-----8.10
FLASHPOINT F------390------385------385
FUEL %------------ ANTIFREEZE %------0.0------?-------0.0
WATER-------------0.0------0.0-----0.0
INSOLUBLES--------0.2------0.1-----0.2
TBN---------------3.2------4.3-----2.9

Nothing wrong with the iron on this sample. You will get two to three times more moly and a little less calcium with the yellow bottle Pennzoil.

I am thinking about putting PP 5w20 into my 05 Corolla as well. What kind of mileage did you get? Does the engine run smooth with 5w20?

sunfire,

During the coldest part of winter I only averaged 34mpg in stop and go driving. We are back to summer blend fuels (still has 10% ethanol) and my last two fill ups have been 38mpg. Last summer on PP5w20 was also 38mpg. I haven't noticed any difference in the engine at all since going to the yellow bottle. Same idle, sounds same--- no noticeable difference. I still have enough PP5w20 for one more OCI. I am saving it for next winter.

I followed Bill in Utah's recommendations with my 08' Corolla as well. Went to Pennzoil conventional 5w-30 after draining factory fill. I am not going to go with 5w-20 as I have heard on here from various folks, Bill included, that the Corollas really like the 5w-30. Not that the 20 stuff would hurt anything, but as long as its under warranty and what not, sticking with the 30.

Looks perfectly fine to me, except the Silicon seems a tad high (still breaking in?) Good winter report, in my opinion. Use PP or Yellow Bottle with confidence. They're both great oils in my opinion.

Yep 1ZZFE. Mine is an LE. I think the only corolla/matrix that have the 2zzfe are the XRS versions. I think they stopped making the XRS 2zzfe version in 2006 or 2005.

I am not sure why people like the 5w30, but I do know Bill says to go with the manufacturer's recommendation. Toyota recommends 5w20 GF-4 oil on this engine for models 2006 or newer. Even for older models of this same engine I would go with the 5w20 because my guess is the engine design has probably not changed, but Bill is correct that it is safest to go with manufacturers specs.

The 01 corolla 1zzfe states 5w30 so I wouldnt want 5w20 in my 01 since these burn oil. If I remember right the engine design is different than the later models.

My 08 LE still has 5w30 on the oil filler cap and in the manual, have mostly 5W30 and 6 quarts MC 7500 5w20 stockpiled, might start stocking up on the 5w20.

Have 18 quarts amsoil 0w20

I do not think their is anything wrong with this UOA for this engine at all. I do not think you will get much improvement over what you have right here if usuage remains the same so will the wear. To be honest the only way I think you would get any further drop would be if you went with Redline 5W30 or 5W20. I do not think it would be cost effective though and you would have to do two OCI's with it before you did a UOA just to make sure their was no leaching. It would though probably give you a trophy UOA if that is what you are after. If you just want the engine to last longer then you want to own the car I do not think it is going to matter much as all the current SM or better 5W20 oils seem to be well built.

Thanks for all the comments.

I am not really worried about the difference between 5w20 & 5w30. Look at the copy and paste below, these are from the UOA above. From right to left:
bulk
PP5w20---PP5w20---5w30
SUS VISC. @ 210F--52.2-----52.5-----52.7
cST VISC. @ 100C--7.93-----8.03-----8.10

I know this is only comparing PP5w20 to one type of unknown conventional 5w30, but this tells me that they are very close. I don't see the 5w20 as being so thin to cause any problems. The middle run was also from last summer (July through Oct.). If I could have gotten more PP on sale I probably would have continued to run it. When I went to the store the best deal was on conv. pennzoil 5w30. I am going to run it over the summer and then put in the last of my PP5w20 for next winter. The only reason I am thinking PP5w20 for winter is a little longer OCI, and my short trips. There were several times this last winter where my coolant was just getting up to normal temp as I arrived at work. That tells me the oil probably isn't getting to optimum temp on these short trips.

For those that think Toyota calls for 5w30 in these engines for 2006 and later I have included a link below to the Toyota TSB on 5w20 GF-4 motor oil.
http://www.matrixowners.com/tsb/TS-EG018-06.pdf
There is some ambiguity however because while the 1zz-fe is listed for 5w20 GF-4, the bulletin also says to follow what the fill cap says. I think the 5w20 would be fine, it is probably best to try each type and do a UOA to see what works best or maybe call Toyota customer service to be sure if you are concerned about warranty issues.

Why would you want lower iron? Those numbers are great. You will not get longer life out of that engine with a few tics less iron.

Run 5W-20, save gas, follow mfg specs and get a long life out of your engine. 5W-30 is a waste of fuel. You will not get more life out of that engine running 5W-30.

You could go 7500 miles and save on oil changes too.

Winston,

I agree completely that 9 ppm of Iron is great and not worth worrying about. Other 1zzfe drivers are showing 3-4 ppm with engines that have more miles on them. I expect it to come down regardless of oil used. I also plan on extending my drains to at least 7500. I will probably do one more ~5k interval with conventional pennzoil 5w30 to check it out. Next fill of PP might even see 10k.

The actual facts do make your gas savings comments suspect. I have tracked every single tank of gas in a journal. I am actually getting better gas mileage with the conventional pennzoil 5w30 than when I had the PP5w20 in the crankcase.

When I did the last oil change we were still on winter blends. I did not notice any difference in mpg until they switched over to summer blends. A guy I work with started getting better gas mileage at almost the exact time. Looking at the journal I am not noticing any difference in gas mileage between the toyota bulk conventional 5w30, PP5w20, and yellow bottle 5w30. Driving habits and summer/winter blend are what seems to make the most differences with this car.

cheers

There is very little energy content difference between summer and winter fuel blends. Something like 1.7% max. However, there is a big mileage difference between summer driving and winter driving, and that is probably what you are seeing.

Either is probably larger than what would be caused by different motor oils, at least of a similar grade, which should be under 1% in most cases and usually well under 1%.

FYI.

Quote:
at least of a similar grade,

A very important distinction. Try comparing a 4 mile commute between 15w-40 and synth 0w-20 and see where the numbers fall.
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back