PP 5W-30, 10K, 08 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my Nissan forums. This guy puts 5k a month on his Altima.

Miles on oil 10,000
Miles of engine 49,000

2056919420062237293S600x600Q85.jpg

I assume those are probably almost all Hwy miles if he racks up that much mileage. If that is the case, maybe this is an example of how easy Hwy miles are on engines/oils.

I agreed with Drew99GT, with TBN of 3.5 PP still has plenty of life left to protect the engine another 5k miles for the same driving condition (mostly highway).

This car and driving style can easily has 10k OCI's with good dino.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
15k is probably do able.

Was this from ssjones' car?

Yep, that's me. Thanks to finklejag for cross-posting. I don't know that much about the oil analysis, so I appreciate your comments. I'll just stick to 10k changes, but it's good to know if necessary, due to timing, another 1k or so won't hurt. That's with a PureOne Filter, btw. I need at least 250k out of this car, so it appears I'm on track.

Last edited:
Next up is to drain/fill my CVT fluid (at 50k). Has anyone seen posted results from Blackstone analysis on Nissan CVT fluid? That stuff is a little dear, so while I need the tranny to also last, don't necessarily want to waste the stuff (probably about $16/quart now, need 6 for a fill)

Originally Posted By: ssjones
Next up is to drain/fill my CVT fluid (at 50k). Has anyone seen posted results from Blackstone analysis on Nissan CVT fluid? That stuff is a little dear, so while I need the tranny to also last, don't necessarily want to waste the stuff (probably about $16/quart now, need 6 for a fill)

It doesn't need to be done until 60k at the earliest. Jatco considers their units to be "filled-for-life" under most service conditions.

In the service manual, it states that for a scheduled fluid change, you need to manually flush the transmission with the unit's capacity + 50% worth of fluid. It does not say that a drain and refill is acceptable. Of course, the flush procedure is required if and only if the fluid change was done as required by the maintenance schedule-- yours is not, so it's up to you as far as how you would like to do it.

O.K...I'll say it:

Looking at all of the numbers I have a very hard time believing there is 10K miles on the oil. The silicon value is the only thing that makes it remotely believable.

Originally Posted By: Al
O.K...I'll say it:

Looking at all of the numbers I have a very hard time believing there is 10K miles on the oil. The silicon value is the only thing that makes it remotely believable.

LOL. I will say that it's an exceptional report.

fine oil with a fine UOA. If he's doing 5k a month, all highway conditions, if he wanted to extend his oil changes even more. Amsoil may be ideal for him. he could get 6 months/30k with a UOA of course. It wouldn't hurt to try one time.

Not familiar with the warranty on this car, but if its the usual 60k for powertrain. I would do another 10k interval for warranty reasons and then try 15k, then 20k on the PP and maybe try an Amsoil or Mobil 1 oil filter for the 15k or longer intervals. 20k over 4 months looks very possible with this oil/ engine combo. Very nice report!

Originally Posted By: dcoyne78
Not familiar with the warranty on this car, but if its the usual 60k for powertrain. I would do another 10k interval for warranty reasons and then try 15k, then 20k on the PP and maybe try an Amsoil or Mobil 1 oil filter for the 15k or longer intervals. 20k over 4 months looks very possible with this oil/ engine combo. Very nice report!

Since this is a nissan, I would believe the maximum is 7500 miles or 6 months.
And since, he went too far, warranty is over (but seeing the results, who cares, you don't need it anyway), so I will say the same thing as Cutehumor: Go to Amsoil, you are the perfect candidate for the SSO. They made their product for customers like you.

Change oil only twice a year instead of 6 times (save a lot of time), put EaO filter and change it every other oil change (every year), you will save a bunch of money and time, and will probably gain a bit of mileage in the same time.

You have a nice engine, I like it a lot ;-p

very nice report. And yes, minimal warm up cycles with lots of highway miles = excellent wear.

Unfortunately my poor subie gets mostly short trips and lots of warm up cycles. I sure hope my first UOA comes back half as pretty as this one
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back