Power washer buying tips ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a gas if you are not going to use the machine for more than a minute or two you need to shut it off. The pump will overheat when trigger is not pulled for any period of time

With electric it just stops the motor when you let go of the handle.

I run 8gpm and a buffer tank and Ive actually had some residential water supplies keep up with that. If you cant keep up with 3-5 gpm, something is wrong. Wells are another story all together.

Last edited:
I bought a Simpson 3100 psi with a GC190 engine 5 years ago. Been a great unit, except that Honda takes 7 pulls to start if it sat longer than a week and blows a cloud of smoke. 2 years ago I inherited a brand new in box 212cc predator engine and put it on the pressure washer. Can sit for 2 months now and fire up first pull. Runs smoother, holds more fuel and uses less fuel too. I used to use my brothers older Kartcher with the same GC190 engine and that one started way easier and didn't have a governor bounce problem whenever I'd let off the trigger. Disappointed in the GC190 that came with mine. It just sits in the shed now. I've worked on a lot of pressure washers and my two favorite pump brands are CAT and AR. Knowing what I know now I'd just build my own pressure washer if I were to do it over.

I've serviced a business owners GX270,340 and 390 powered pressure washers that the guy did nothing to including NO oil changes for 10-15 years and they still run great. So, there's that. Myself I'd find an old 8-10HP B&S to build a pressure washer with ideally, for my own personal use. Why? well the sound, smell, brute simplicity and those engines never failed me.

I agree with most of what's said here.

I'll add that I don't think it's necessary to seek out a specific brand of pump. But it's smart to shop type of pump

There's really only 2 big triplex pump manufacturers when it comes to the high end consumer grade machines discussed: CAT and AR. Both are excellent products from reputable names.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Pressure washers are one of those subjects where you get what you pay for. There are no units that are cheap, powerful, long-lasting and reliable. It's also a subject where more power is always better. The difference in time can be remarkable between a larger unit and a homeowner grade unit. My cheap unit took 8 hours to clean my fence. My 4000PSI unit can do it in an hour and a half.

With that in mind, Axial pumps tend not to last long, and can be finicky when they have a little time on them. (the kind with the valves on the end)

A "Cat" brand triplex pump is probably the first thing you should look for when considering a pressure washer. (blue color pump body)

Here is a very good quality unit that would be about the minimum size to do the job you want and hold up for years:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200594737_200594737

^ 100% agree

get the mitm with the honda gx200 on it. ...fantastic unit and with a good triplex pump....Mi-T-M Work Pro Honda 3200 psi Gasoline 2.4 gpm Pressure Washer
Item no. 1823491 | WP-3200-0MHB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back