What pressure washer should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace my electric pressure washer with a gas one. Tired of the poor performance and the cord. And replacing them all the time because the pumps break easily, looking for something that lasts. I am trying to decide betwen four (two higher end, two lower end). The main purpose would be washing the vehicles using my AutoGeek foam cannon, so one where I could leave the engine running even if not using the pump would be ideal. I'm really not sure what feature to look for to allow for this. I would also use it for siding and sidwalk cleaning. A detergent tank would be nice, but siphon would be OK.

Which one would you buy and why?

Higher end models:

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/murray-3-300-psi-gas-pressure-washer/0000000290614?bc=11434|11435|11471|11474

It isn't listed in the specs, but this one (above) has 3.3 GPM, a lot more than all the others. I don't like that his is on four wheels, this would make it harder to move around the yard when doing siding. Large (250cc) Briggs engine. Looks like it has electric start. Seems like a good price.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/powerboss-3300-psi-gpm-gas-pressure-washer/0000000303012?bc=11434|11435|11471|11474 In the review the person says this one can have the engine stay running without using the pump. No detergent tank. Honda engine.

Lower end models:

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/simpson-clean-machine-3,000-psi-2.4-gpm-gas-powered-pressure-washer/0000000313854

Besides the one above, Lowes also has one for $400 with a Honda engine. And for $300 with a Briggs engine that is less powerful and doesn't have the "idle down" feature. Right now Lowes has 11% rebate going on.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/simpson-clean-machine-3,000-psi-2.4-gpm-gas-powered-pressure-washer/0000000313854

Of the choices I'd go with this one: https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/powerboss-3300-psi-gpm-gas-pressure-washer/0000000303012?bc=11434|11435|11471|11474 I don't leave my machine running for more than a minute without triggering the gun. Having said that I have an 11 HP Honda machine which is over 30 years old, things might have changed a bit.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I don't leave my machine running for more than a minute without triggering the gun.

This ^^^^^^^^^

And whichever model you buy always connect the water first, then prime the pump with the engine OFF by holding the nozzle open until you get water coming out of the end of the nozzle. Running the pump without water will burn it up in seconds. This is why you NEVER loan out a pressure washer to anyone.

Try to buy one with a triplex pump. They are better constructed. And any pressure washer is only as good as the pump. It's much more important than the brand of engine. I purchased this one from Lowe's last year. And thus far it's run well, and given me good service. It always starts on the first or second pull, and delivers plenty of cleaning power.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SIMPSON-Po...ater-Gas-Pressure-Washer-CARB/1000731644

If you want a decent one, get one with a horz. shaft engine.

Worry about the pump brand not the engine.

I think electric are easier to deal with for a quick washing of something. You do not need to shut them off if you get a phone call or want to get a beer. Gas ones cannot be left running for very long without the trigger being pulled.

Gas ones cannot be brought into a basement for winter non freezing storage unless you are very careful to run it completely out of gas including draining fuel bowl (if you have a boiler/furnace with a flame.)

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I don't leave my machine running for more than a minute without triggering the gun.

This ^^^^^^^^^

And whichever model you buy always connect the water first, then prime the pump with the engine OFF by holding the nozzle open until you get water coming out of the end of the nozzle. Running the pump without water will burn it up in seconds. This is why you NEVER loan out a pressure washer to anyone.

Try to buy one with a triplex pump. They are better constructed. And any pressure washer is only as good as the pump. It's much more important than the brand of engine. I purchased this one from Lowe's last year. And thus far it's run well, and given me good service. It always starts on the first or second pull, and delivers plenty of cleaning power.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SIMPSON-Po...ater-Gas-Pressure-Washer-CARB/1000731644

Good points. Especially the part about lending it out. People will run the engine at full bore for several minutes while repositioning the machine or ladders and can destroy a pump in short order.

You can buy better electric pressure washers, but they are so expensive that you wouldn't want one. Having said that, I like having one that I can easily store in my basement so I don't have any freezing issues.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
You can buy better electric pressure washers, but they are so expensive that you wouldn't want one. Having said that, I like having one that I can easily store in my basement so I don't have any freezing issues.

Buy a better electric one at Home Depot or Lowes and try it out. If it does not have the power you need then return it.

I have electric, gas and hot water electric. Need to cut back before I move however. If I can get the job done with the electric, then I will use it.

As with so many things, the more you pay, the higher the quality and the better the performance.

Box store units are likely to be rather poor quality, with short lived pumps, unless you spend the maximum.

The CAT pumps are always my favorite.

This unit is a superb performer while not being "too" expensive or too big: (it's also on sale)

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200594736_200594736

Note: If you look at other models for less money, with the very same engine, you will notice the "cheap" pump saves you money. But remember that cheap pump will need to be replaced far sooner and even the cheap pumps "Ain't" cheap. Your $200 savings starts to look like a poor choice in about 4-5 years.

Last edited:
if you have a costco near by i would get this one

https://www.costco.com/A-I-Power-2700PSI-2.3GPM-Gas-Pressure-Washer.product.100343716.html

for car washing you don't need a lot of power. seems that most people use the green tip which is quite gentle. if you want to wash sidewalks these are more than powerful enough to do it.

as people have stated don't let the pump run dry. its easier to start it with the gun in the open position. this relieves the pressure at the pump. you usually just need the pressure washer to be on for initial rinse, foam and final rinse. keeping your engine running for this time period is a waste of gas in my opinion.

i always wanted a big commercial one , but they are overkill for what i am doing . the are heavy, take up a lot of space.

Whichever one you happen to get, pick up a can of this stuff. It's designed for pressure washers. When you're finished using the unit before you store it, you screw it into the threaded "IN" connection of the pump housing. Then, while you slowly pull the starter rope with the ignition "OFF", give it a shot until you see oil come out of the "OUT" connection on the pump.

It coats the inside of the pump pistons with oil, and displaces any water. It also prevents any calcium from building up if you have hard water. It only takes a minute to do it, and pumps are expensive to replace.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Strat...&hvtargid=pla-349392591569&psc=1

Originally Posted by billt460
Whichever one you happen to get, pick up a can of this stuff. It's designed for pressure washers. When you're finished using the unit before you store it, you screw it into the threaded "IN" connection of the pump housing. Then, while you slowly pull the starter rope with the ignition "OFF", give it a shot until you see oil come out of the "OUT" connection on the pump.

It coats the inside of the pump pistons with oil, and displaces any water. It also prevents any calcium from building up if you have hard water. It only takes a minute to do it, and pumps are expensive to replace.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Strat...&hvtargid=pla-349392591569&psc=1

+1

I've been using this for years, and the cheap vertical shaft pump on our Excell pressure washer bought in 1998 lasted until about 2-3 years ago.

Well, I looked at them all and was not crazy about any of them for one reason or another. So I kept looking at Norther Tool, Cub Cadet, and other places and brands. Eventually got around to Bear Cat (made by Echo). To get what I *really* wanted was almost $900. I can't justify that on a pressure washer for home use. But ended up with this one (link below). A dealer about 25 miles away that I bought a Toro zero turn and Super Recycler from last spring had a 2018 left over. Price raised $50 for 2019 models, plus I got another 15% off, and free spark plug, quart of oil, and air filter. $425 plus tax. Has an unloader valve and 5 year warranty, including on pump. Pretty pleased with the deal.

http://www.bearcatproducts.com/Products/PressureWashers/PW3100B

Can't stress enough after use keep pump wet with antifreeze I like old school pre mix EG antifreeze. Make up a whip hose pull engine over till antifreeze comes out the output end if people followed this tip it would save alot of pumps destroyed by deposit from tap water.

Originally Posted by dave123
Can't stress enough after use keep pump wet with antifreeze I like old school pre mix EG antifreeze. Make up a whip hose pull engine over till antifreeze comes out the output end if people followed this tip it would save alot of pumps destroyed by deposit from tap water.

I think this depends upon the water, hardness, etc.

The Bear Cat pressure washer pump listed in this thread has an axial pump. That is the cheap style of pump. Not long lasting. You want a triplex. I would not have spent $425 on a pressure washer with an axial pump.

In general Bear Cat products are quality. I have a Bear Cat lawn vacuum.

However it's the pump that makes the pressure washer.

Originally Posted by Donald

I think this depends upon the water, hardness, etc.

Ok it's not pump people can do whatever they want I could careless

Last edited:

It's good to remember that many pets love the taste of antifreeze. It will kill them in short order, and there is no real antidote other than something akin to a Vodka IV drip. Ethanol administered via IV can help by blocking the formation of ethylene glycol's toxic metabolites that lead to acidosis and kidney damage.

Because preserving a pressure washer pump is not a sealed operation, antifreeze may spill on the ground, and remain on and in the equipment. Make sure to clean up properly and keep pets away.

Originally Posted by Cujet

It's good to remember that many pets love the taste of antifreeze. It will kill them in short order, and there is no real antidote other than something akin to a Vodka IV drip. Ethanol administered via IV can help by blocking the formation of ethylene glycol's toxic metabolites that lead to acidosis and kidney damage.

Because preserving a pressure washer pump is not a sealed operation, antifreeze may spill on the ground, and remain on and in the equipment. Make sure to clean up properly and keep pets away.

Well you have other choices. Pink RV antifreeze or the low to automotive coolant.

Buy one of those pump saver antifreeze bottles, then refill it with pink RV antifreeze. It's cheap for a big jug of that stuff and should last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back