Power Steering Fluid or ATF For Power Steering System

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
The Camry calls for Dexron ATF for the power steering system. It's been suggested by several techs that I know and some whom I've watched on YouTube, that while ATF is typically used by many folks, actual power steering fluid is a better choice. In one form or another, those advocating for PSF say that the fluid has more/better additives designed specifically for the power steering system and ATF does not.

I'll be flushing the system at the next oil change. What are your thoughts as to the preference for dedicated PSF?

Last edited:
When it comes to "modern" power steering fluids and vehicles before eps I use either oem PS fluid or Prestone power steering fluid either asian, domestic or import depending on vehicle, but do not use universal or stop leak products in the power steering fluid systems. 80's up to mid 90's vehicles I'd feel comfortable using ATF for PS fluid.. and have with pretty good results.

In the Forte with traditional power steering I use Prestone Asian Synthetic PS fluid with great results but it's still over $10 a bottle.

The Camry calls for Dexron ATF for the power steering system. It's been suggested by several techs that I know and some whom I've watched on YouTube, that while ATF is typically used by many folks, actual power steering fluid is a better choice. In one form or another, those advocating for PSF say that the fluid has more/better additives designed specifically for the power steering system and ATF does not.

I'll be flushing the system at the next oil change. What are your thoughts as to the preference for dedicated PSF?
Follow the manual and not what some techs say, if you decide to do it.. Flushing of the power steering systems is over exagerated, I never done it or had any problems.

It's far from over exaggerated. to do it once or twice over the vehicles life seems very reasonable.
It's just a quick money maker for the shop doing it. I never seen it listed in any owners manuals of mine for scheduled service. Perhaps the less robust systems need to have it done.

I have only used DEXRON ATF in TOYOTA/LEXUS vehicles that required DEXRON ATF for their P/S units. Who knows better than them? Certainly not some guy or forum!
My personal suggestion and best success for Toyota P/S Systems is Mobil 1 synthetic Dex/Merc ATF...if you can still find it.

Last edited:
I was told for seal compatibility.

ATF or PSF for systems factory filled with ATF.
PSF ONLY for systems factory filled with PSF.

Depending on the system you may notice a difference in steering effort. From my own anecdotal experience the steering effort on my 335d changed significantly when I had the fluid changed from the factory fill to Dex3 (BMW recommendation). I think there was a factory error and my rack was filled with PSF (Pentosin CHF 11s).

Toyotas usually aren't picky. Either will probably work fine in your Camry :)

I was told for seal compatibility.

ATF or PSF for systems factory filled with ATF.
PSF ONLY for systems factory filled with PSF.

Depending on the system you may notice a difference in steering effort. From my own anecdotal experience the steering effort on my 335d changed significantly when I had the fluid changed from the factory fill to Dex3 (BMW recommendation). I think there was a factory error and my rack was filled with PSF (Pentosin CHF 11s).

Volvo had that mistake in their owners manuals for years in the early 2000s. The manuals said to use Dexron when in fact they really used the green CHF :oops:

Toyotas usually aren't picky. Either will probably work fine in your Camry :)

Volvo had that mistake in their owners manuals for years in the early 2000s. The manuals said to use Dexron when in fact they really used the green CHF :oops:
Interesting. BMW would typically use the same PS reservoir across all models but those filled with Pentosin had a green sticker on the cap (See below). Of course dealerships didn't just rely on the sticker. BMW also provided the information via VIN. I still think factory error with my car because it did not come with the sticker.

4b2h1Rm.jpg
W35xhFG.jpg

Follow the manual and not what some techs say, if you decide to do it..
Make sure the manual is correct. Some Volvo years the manual said to fill with ATF. Years later, they said oh that's a misprint don't use ATF. I wonder how many vehicles had their power steering life shortened from that.

It's just a quick money maker for the shop doing it. I never seen it listed in any owners manuals of mine for scheduled service. Perhaps the less robust systems need to have it done.
There's owners manuals that claim trans fluid also doesn't need to be changed.

I haven't seen VOA showing the techs or YouTube info.... nothing but scare fear BS

My recommendation is a full synthetic ATF or Asian or equivalent PSF. Your Toyota isn't picky.

l was using some lSO-32 hydraulic oil l already had, in a 2002 Alero, but the system already had developed a leaking line, and l wasn't keeping the car. But l wonder how different lSO-32 hydraulic oil and regular power steering fluid really is?

See my post regarding my '07 4Runner, PS pump had a groan when cold with two different flushes of Dex-Merc fluid. I flushed in Lube Gard synthetic PS fluid and it's quiet including this morning's -1 degF startup.

Back