Choosing Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cars say to use Dexron II or Dexron III for my power steering fluid. I have always used Amsoil ATF in my power steering systems as I was told it was a better choice.

Are there advantages in using Dexron II or III in my power steering systems over using a synthetic ATF? I know there are extreme pressures involved and I'm wondering if
I would be better off using the Dexron products?

Looks like Amsoil is Dexron VI...

Dexron III is a little thicker than VI, but is expected to shear down more...

I had leftover Delvac 50 ATF, a TES-295 fluid, which is synthetic, but the viscosity of Dexron III...

I also put a Wix 33033 filter in the return line.

I use super tech dex merc atf in my Camry power steering. Zero issues. I don't think you need any special atf, but to each his own

Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash40
Valvoline Maxlife is Dex III and is a great choice.

Last I checked Valvoline Maxlife has a viscosity of 5.8 cSt @ 100 deg C.....so LV or Dex VI. That's far from the Dex III range of 6.8-7.6. Most Dex III's start out around 7.2-7.5. And the better ones that semi-synthetic or fully synthetic don't shear down all that fast.

Amsoil has some ATF's that are fully Dex III on viscosity such as Amsoil ATF Torque Drive. Red Line D4 is another. So is Mobil 1 ATF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX

Last I checked Valvoline Maxlife has a viscosity of 5.8 cSt @ 100 deg C.....so LV or Dex VI. That's far from the Dex III range of 6.8-7.6. Most Dex III's start out around 7.2-7.5. And the better ones that semi-synthetic or fully synthetic don't shear down all that fast.

Yep. That's why Valvoline says Maxlife is " one size size fits all"
lol.gif
But seriously, it's fine for a replacement for the OP. I use it in a Ford Taurus and it totally got rid of the PS noise.

3926CE1F-2803-4C34-9C38-5AE6AC1F04B4.jpeg

5969A7F7-534E-406E-9C1D-842FFF680439.jpeg

Last edited:
I've used Maxlife in PS systems that call for ATF with no issues. What Maxlife is made of or what spec it's supposed to adhere to is a whole nutha topic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX

Amsoil has some ATF's that are fully Dex III on viscosity such as Amsoil ATF Torque Drive. Red Line D4 is another. So is Mobil 1 ATF.

This is the info I am looking for. Thanks!

I get confused when I try and find a synthetic Dexron III. Is there a "straight" synthetic Dexron III? It seems all I can find are those like the Maxlife that fit a bunch of specifications.

I found 4 Dexrons (assuming non-synthetic) with these specs. 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.3 at (100C) and 32, 34, 35, 36 at (40C). So the "average" would be 72 (100C) and 34 (40C)

Just to be clear there is no real dexron III fluid since it is a superseded specification. As a result no one can license to that specification and dexron VI is the current spec. So anything on the market that is "dexron III" will likely have other "recommended" specs since it cannot be licensed to a nonexistent specification.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Just to be clear there is no real dexron III fluid since it is a superseded specification. As a result no one can license to that specification and dexron VI is the current spec. So anything on the market that is "dexron III" will likely have other "recommended" specs since it cannot be licensed to a nonexistent specification.

Didn't know that. What is bringing this up is I am hearing a whine in one of my cars and am wondering if it is coming from the PS fluid. I used Amsoil ATF and am thinking I would swap out to the Dexron III to see if it went away. Toyota apparently has the plain ol' ATF "Dexron III" that most dealers don't carry in house.

Anyways, I'm just trying to find the synthetic Dexron III to swap out and experiment with to see if it eliminates the faint whine. That's why I'm being so particular in the viscosity selection. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.....

Last edited:
For many years Subaru spec'd Dex III for their P/S fluid; I haved use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF from time to time. As you'd expect, no issues & good low temp performance in the winter.

I have used DEX VI and M1 ATF in both 240 PS systems. The spec is type F ATF. GM Saginaw pump. No issues or noise in temps down to -17 F.

Sam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back