Power steering applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work, certian cars call for PSF in the power steering system. So I flush and fill their power steering with OEM approved power steering fluid. However, I wonder why I can't use ATF in these systems. Would it be ok to flush their power steering with ATF?

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
At work, certian cars call for PSF in the power steering system. So I flush and fill their power steering with OEM approved power steering fluid. However, I wonder why I can't use ATF in these systems. Would it be ok to flush their power steering with ATF?

i'm guessing this is in most chryslers?

I think you'd need to stock just regular power steering fluid and probably type F and Dex3/Mercon and call it all good

A1 Cardone has a list of "approved" p/s fluids for use in their p/s pumps. the Cardone rep told me that they actually test these fluids before they go on the list. I've sent them a quart of Redline PSF, I haven't seen it on the list yet, but the tech did tell me it would definetely be OK.
The reason for the approved list is because some people use stuff like p/s stop leak, which unlike a p/s fluid with conditioners, it is actually a stop leak, and is not in any way a p/s fluid. People have used this as a means of refill and it damages the pumps, wears the shafts down and bangs up the seals.
I asked the tech about systems that are supposed to use ATF, and I got the backpeddle excuse.. go ahead and use what the OEM fluid is supposed to be.

I think you could getaway with a couple ATF's, and p/s fluid.

The only one for sure that needs it's proprietary fluid is/was Hondas. Don't take a chance there.
Otherwise, I'd use ATF in the PS systems.

I forgot about honda's proprietary fluids. I'm surprised they use regular dot 3 brake fluid!

Be wary of jaguar.. they use a mineral oil.

VW and Audi take a certain Pentosin product.

Jeep Grand Cherokees take a MOPAR MS-10838 fluid which is different than ordinary PSF.

Benz has their own fluid and the bottle it comes in looks just like an Exxon Superflo bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back