Pour Point Vs. CCS Vs. MRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two oils here PYB and QSGB/QSAD, first off to my shock QS appears better on paper except for pour point. What say ye to the following and which would you choose?

PYB 5w30SN
PP -42C
CCS V 6100cp @ -30c
MRV V 25,400cp @ -35c
NOACK 14.9%

QSGB 5w30SN
PP -30
CCS V -6100cp @ -30C
MRV V 19,100 @ -35C
NOACK 14.3%

All these are from the Shell TDS. All methods of ASTM testing were the same. Is MRV the most important for the cold? Which would you choose and why? I may be a QS convert...but why the PP discrepancy?
Thanks
Matt

One thing I don't under stand is how you can get an mrv for a temperature below the pour point. If the oil won't pour/move how does that work?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Is MRV the most important for the cold? Which would you choose and why?

Does FL get cold??

The pour point is an outdated spec. Cold Crank Simulator (CCS) is the best spec to look at for cold flow properties.

I would use PYB since it has the better additive package.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

Does FL get cold??

The pour point is an outdated spec. Cold Crank Simulator (CCS) is the best spec to look at for cold flow properties.

I wouldn't be so fast to say PYB has a "better" add package. QS is not too shabby with quite a bit of B as well as Mo. We also have no clue which (if any) use better ingredients.

Does FL get cold??

crackmeup2.gif

Does FL get cold??

Not as we know cold up here in Yankee Land.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Does FL get cold??

crackmeup2.gif

I am just asking which would be the most important cold spec (as a general question). Listen, I sometimes consider moving south, it gets very cold in central Fl.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Does FL get cold??

crackmeup2.gif

I am just asking which would be the most important cold spec (as a general question). Listen, I sometimes consider moving south, it gets very cold in central Fl.
wink.gif

How cold does it get; might drop to freezing (32F)on occasion?
So the viscosity at 32F is what you want to know not -35F.

The best PDS spec's that will tell you that are HTHSV and VI or you can use the less precise KV40 spec'. Basically the lower the value the lighter the oil will be on start-up at temp's down to at least 32F.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Those viscosity spec's have zero relevance in a Florida climate.
What you should compare is HTHSV and their VI's.
That said, there is little difference between the two oils.

1000 + right

Originally Posted By: volk06
One thing I don't under stand is how you can get an mrv for a temperature below the pour point. If the oil won't pour/move how does that work?

Isn't oil flowable under PP if pressurized by an oil pump? PP is measuring the ability to flow under gravity.

The HTHSv on the PYB is slightly lower, the VI a bit higher, and it has about 200-300ppm more detergent in it.

QSGB is likely PYB's virtual equal in actual use, I can only speculate the noticable price difference is due to Quaker State's relatively tiny advertising budget in comparison to Pennzoil.

Question:

Will PYB's slightly larger additive package thin the oil a tad more to create a lower number @ 40*C.?

Which would you choose and why?

I'll tell you what, you could use either in a 10w-30 and have it crank over better on your coldest day of the year than I could accomplish on my coldest day of the year with 5w-30 (or 0w-30 for that matter).
wink.gif

pour points are easily "propped up" with cheap short lived pour point depressants!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back