Castrol Synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean to upset anyone. What I meant by it was that I didn't ban using Castrol products because of the oil spill. I change the oil in my wifes Audi using Castrol 0W40. I was equating the "who cares" I stated kinda like people who will only buy cage free eggs. I can certainty respect the opinions of those affected by the disaster. I also want to add I often give an alternative opinion on many things that isn't always popular. I get that from my dad being an attorney.

I just tried to look up some Castrol 5W30 PDS and the most recent one listed was from 2016 (pre-d1G2).
Combined with Pennzoil showing a 2011 PDS for Gold 5W30 if you don't find the Shell PDS "back door" and XOM telling us very little in their typical PDS, things sometime feel hopeless when there is no detailed PQIA or Russian Oil Club VOA for reference. At least Valvoline gives us some detailed and up to date info, which is one reason I bought some of their FS 5W30 and dumped it in my car yesterday.

What do y'all have against Castrol? Stop complaining!

Just kidding
wink.gif
I am currently running Castrol Edge 5w-30 and I'm getting start-up noise in slightly cold weather, whereas other oils didn't do this. Now, I know that Castrol flows slightly slower in colder temps as opposed to other synthetics, but I didn't think I'd get start-up noise in lower 20sF.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Cigars has been gone since Katrina. Thanks for clearing that up Skyactiv.

I was living in FL. when Katrina hit. Whew, memories at that place when I was younger!
shocked2.gif

And, I too appreciate your amends Skyactiv.
smile.gif

Loved Magnatec 5w30 semi syn. Didnt like magnatec 5w30 Synthetic. Ran mainly like the old junk Syntec 5w30 from 10-15 years ago. Did do OK at very low RPMS and lugging if that's what you do.

I sure do know Robert. He lives in Grand Isle, his daughter, Joanna, is married to one of my good friends. Robert and my mom went to high school together.

MA, I just got off of the phone with my dad. I really messed up this story about family! I "THOUGHT" they owned SFA. My dad said that SFA is nation wide and has nothing to do with my moms family. The Collins ARE family, but are related to my moms aunt Alice. Anyway, I am related through my step mom, and I really screwed up the whole story. But, I do know the Collins from when I was younger, I think...... My dad said my aunt Alice lived in Chavin, La. near Houma, and that's where I know them from. But, I was very young when we went there to visit. When I visit my mom tomorrow, I will know more.
confused2.gif

Okay, I bought some CASTROL 0W40 about 2-3 weeks ago at my local WM. It was on clearance. Being it's made in Belgium and Germany, is it a whole different type of synthetic stock?
21.gif

Robert has a dried shrimp business.

Yes Ive eaten at 1921 before its very good.

I knew he was a shrimper, I just thought that he owned SAF.
Anyone familiar with Gonzales, La.?

Not to hijack the thread , but I bought some Castrol semi synthetic Dexron 6 , but have not used any , yet . What kind of quality is it ?

+1 with oil going dark quick ... Not sure what to think ? 0w40 is the only Castrol I would use and for 5W30 or 5W20 applications -I'm moving back to PP or M1.
Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
I've done multiple UOA's with Castrol Edge 5w20 EP and M1 of various flavors and they're so close to each other there is really no difference at all. Also, I do notice Castrol gets darker faster for whatever reason, I just attribute that to its cleaning ability.

There used to be a forum here called German Castrol - extra special stuff, everyone raved about it, so they gave it it's own forum.

So now Castrol is a bad name - what happened ?

Originally Posted By: Silk
There used to be a forum here called German Castrol - extra special stuff, everyone raved about it, so they gave it it's own forum.

So now Castrol is a bad name - what happened ?

Silk, I remember that..........I think. I do remember back then GC was the RAVE! People were absolutely GAGA about it.
I just recently bought a 5 qt. container which states MADE IN BELGIUM. The 1 qt. container reads MADE IN GERMANY. Both are 0W40. If it's the same oil, why 2 different manufacturing plants? Or, IS it the same oil?
21.gif

I ran the Gold GC euro . Nothing Special in an ordinary car.
I read the Green GC was the hoot.

But its a Euro Syn with high HTHS. Something you would use in your Turbo Ej Subaru instead of asy M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back