Poulan Pro PP2822 Hedge Trimmer Repair

So aside from the amount of labor hours, is this unit worth repairing? I dont mind the labor hours as I enjoy working on small engines.

It needs a clutch as one of the springs broke, and a piston ring. The cylinder and piston look like new with no scratches or signs of dust polishing however the engine is very low on compression. I assume the ring never seated in properly or has gotten stuck and therefor has worn unevenly. Another theory is the ring just has low tension.

Any any case this is clearly a homeowner grade low end tool, and I question if it worth spending any amount of money on......

I have one of those and had the coil fail on it..It is definitely a Cheap unit. Parts are readily available for it though. You might find it cheaper to buy one on ebay that doesn't run and have spares.

I have that model I bought in 2014. It was having what seemed to be carb issues so I bought an Ebay carb for cheap. I also have the 2 cycle carb adjustment tool kit. I was able to tune the original carb to run perfect before installing the Ebay one, I have a spare now. It sees moderate use overall but some heavy duty use also. This and my other OPE run so much better now that I'm dosing the E10 gas with Stabil Marine and using Amsoil Saber 2 cycle oil. We don't have E0 gas any where near me.

When it comes to compression, the most common problem with the cheap 2-cycle OPE engines is the loss of "primary" compression due to crankcase air leaks. This occurs because of failed... crankshaft seals, and/or crankcase gaskets, and/or a loose head. These engines are built cheap to sell cheap.

"The compression of the air-fuel charge in a two-stroke engine takes place in two stages: primary compression and secondary compression. The terms “primary” and “secondary” are not equated to terms like “major” and “minor” or “most important” and “less important.” Instead, the terms refer to the two stages of compressing the air-fuel charge. Primary compression refers to the “first stage” of compressing. This takes place in the crankcase. Secondary compression refers to the “second stage” of compressing. This takes place in the combustion chamber and is a higher compression than occurs in the crankcase."

Before you do anything else, make sure you remove or clean the spark arrestor because one that is plugged will give you the impression that the engine is low on compression. If there isn't scratching, scoring, galling, or excessive wear in the cylinder or on the piston, the ring is likely fine and you should have good "secondary" compression. If you are going to take it all apart you should concentrate on getting the crankcase sealed good. Put loctite on the head screws.

Last edited:
I thought the same but it pulls over super easy almost like it has no compression. Id strip it down and reseal from scratch just to be safe.

Back