post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2016 Chrysler Town and Country.
I did a pan drop and filter at 92k with Mopar ATF+4. Fluid looked ok, no issues other than what is apparently a somewhat common whine under moderate to heavy throttle.
At 101k transmission starts whining loud like a bad power steering pump. Dropped pan, fluid is very dark, does not smell burned though. Replaced filter, it's quiet again. Still no issues knock on wood.
Very odd.
Did about 5 more pan drops before it cleaned up and replaced the filter again.
Added a bottle of Lubeguard Red. Hoping for the best.

Sentra 5 speed manual transmission - out, VP Racing conventional GL-4 80W90, in Ford XT-M5-QS synthetic manual transmission fluid. It kind of kills me to put almost $100 worth of specialty fluid in an old beater, but I had it in my stash and don't have anything that specifically calls for it. Its a 75w90 GL-4 fluid so should work in place of the 80W90 the car originally called for. Come what may, this is the last fresh fluid this transmission will ever see.

2016 Nissan Versa CVT fluid spill and fill along with replacing both filters at 029993 miles. Amount drained and filled 3 3/4 qts refilled with Nissan NS-3 fluid. Filters replaced with Raybesto's Powertrain filters. The fluid was really dark at 30K miles but didn't have a burnt smell. The magnets in the pan were a little fuzzy from wear metals but nothing I'd consider abnormal. Total cost approximately $60 using fluid purchased on eBay and filters purchased from Rock Auto. The extra peace of mind knowing the fluid/filters have been changed and fresh is well worth the $60 spent.

Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc in an older Borg Warner Velvet Drive inboard marine transmission. Mid season change.

The proper method is to disconnect one of the cooler lines and drain the fluid, but the hoses are old and stiff, but not cracked, and I do not want to tempt fate and it is messy. Instead, I am doing several short interval flushes by suctioning the fluid from the dipstick hole and refilling. I will do a proper flush one of these off seasons when the boat is in a warm place and I am prepared to replace hoses.

First time made a big difference in crispness of engagement vs. whatever the PO had left in there for who knows how long.

Did my yearly drain and fill on my 2016 Avalon (74,300 miles). Think it only took two quarts or so. Toyota WS fluid.

2015 MDX 6 sp AT 107,701 Miles.
Did 2nd drain & fill in a months with Honda ATF DW-1, too hot to do anything lately ;).
Drained ATF was still in great condition, will do the 3rd D & F come September. Should be good for another 15,000 miles or more.

2020 Ford Ranger 10R80

3.25qts
Out - Factory Fill (Mercon ULV)
In - Valvoline ULV + 3oz LG Red

I don't think my extractor was at the bottom of the pan, supposed to be able to pull a little over 4qts out, but I didn't feel like messing around with it any more.

2018 RAV4
Out - rank looking ATF-WS
In - fresh WS.

no MaxLife, the owner said she didn’t like the feel of it when I used it on an truck they used to have. WS is fine.

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe
4L60E auto
Pan drop and filter change
Out: unknown, old filter
In: AcDelco dex6, AcDelco filter

2002 Accord
Out: DW-1 (20k miles)
In: Idemitsu Type H+

2013 Pilot
Out: DW-1 (25k miles)
In: Idemitsu Type H+

Last edited:
2018 Honda CR-V, 24684 mi

Out: factory fill (~3.9 qts)
In: Genuine Honda HCF-2 ~3.9 qts.

I poured in 4 quarts, then opened the check bolt and let it drain til it stopped.

I did take a sample for UOA and a sample of the new for VOA. The stuff is brown and watery. No red dye.

2016 Ford Focus SE with the MTX75 5 speed MT and 83,000 Mi. - 2.1 quarts of Motorcraft XT-11-QDC (Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid)

Seems odd to use the DTC fluid in a 5 speed, but it’s what’s spec’d by Ford and listed in the owners manual and the Focus is still under warranty. I may try something else at 160,000 Mi.

Last edited:
2008 Subary Legacy 2.5i w/4EAT transmission. Used the cooler line return line method to replace most of the fluid with Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle. Flushed using three one gallon jugs. Guessing its the newer 7.4cSt formulation and not the older 8cSt one. This replaced Valvoline Max-Life w/ Lubegard Platinum that I ran for one year (about 10000km).

The shifts on the Castrol Import feel more "cushy" which, for a clunky 4EAT, I've come to prefer. I could feel the shifts more with Max-Life which I liked when I was driving more spiritedly but for more daily sedate driving, I prefer the feel of Castrol Import MV.

Last edited:
2016 Hyundai Accent SE, 161,000 miles, about 20k since last drain and fill.

Out: 3.5 qts Valvoline Maxlife
In: 3.5 qts Redline D6

D6 seems less "spongy", I like it better. Nothing wrong with Maxlifes performance though, so far I've run it exclusively for about 33,000 miles and had no issues whatsoever.

Still have 8.5qts of D6 left. Will drain and refill again Monday when I change the oil, and then will probably leave it alone till 200k.

Last edited:
Back