post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2018 Ford Flex that we purchased back in February.

Out: unknown, was dark but still red so I assume it's been changed at some point with the mileage.

In: Mercon LV+ LG Platinum

88,097 miles. Only got 4 quarts out and needed just slightly more than that to get to full. Fluid doesn't look bad but dark, will do this a couple more times over the next month or two and leave it alone for a while 👍

Not my car but my father's 2009 RAV4. Not entirely sure what fluids they used but from what I can gather they used Idemitsu for the trans with the WS spec called for by Toyota. They also replaced the filter.

2016 Hyundai Accent SE 1.6l, 144,100 miles. Drain interval was about 15k

Out: 3.7qts of Maxlife and a teeny tiny bit of the remaining SP-IV.

In: More Maxlife, plus 10oz of Lubegard Red.

Fluid came out looking like red ATF, no smell. Will probably leave it alone for the next 30-50k, unless I get bored and feel the need to drain and refill something.

2012 Acura TL 6MT
Out: 2.6 quarts AMSOIL synthetic MT fluid
In: same
Also changed SH-AWD fluid and flushed brake lines and clutch fluid line

Only 9k miles since last MT gear change, but transmission shifted smoother (it's a honey of a gear box)

2008 Crown Vic- just got her back in April after having sold it 4.5 years ago. Love the way this transmission shifts 👍

Out: Mag 1 + LG
In: Mag 1 + LG Platinum(4oz)

157,091 miles. Last drain/fill was 46k ago. Fluid came out looking like a very nice transparent red. When I owned this car before, I had put a pan on with a drain plug so it's super easy. About 3.25 quarts per drain.

2015 UK assembled Nissan qashqai that comes with secondary cooler. 48k km (30k miles)

out: OEM 3.7L
in : OEM NS-3. approx 3.9L
I used the extraction method. Got a made-in china extractor for USD47.70 delivered.

the OEM NS-3 fluid comes in a 4L tin can for AUD75 (USD56). So the 3.9L going in is an estimate.
Old fluid was brown, took 5 mins to extract as much as I could.
Seems easy, may do in again in a year. I was thinking of using valvoline which comes in 5L. Since I don't expect to do this often and I have no container to dispose of the old fluid, a 4L tin can will be re-used to store the old fluid and send it for re-cycle. Valvoline CVT LV will save me 10 bucks, so what the heck and decide to go OEM.

Last edited:
Purchased used 2010 Honda Civic with 148K. D&F 4 times with Honda DW-1 (3 qts/time) over a 1 week period.

Cherry red and smelling good. I did some research into Honda and saw the differences in the specs on Z-1 and DW-1.

Seeing how the 2010 transmission came with the thicker Z-1 and the DW-1 was thinner I decided to replace that fluid with Amsoil
ATF Red.

Just finished 3 D&F's with the Amsoil Red.

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
4L60
Transmission replacement
Old trans out: unknown
New trans in: 9 1/2 quarts STP Dexron 6

I used this clip to remove the cap of the transmission tube. Took me about 4 seconds but need to insert from underneath -in between the plastic cap and metal tube and pull.
So I decided to drill a hole at the side of cap after removing it and now I can remove the cap in a second by inserting a screwdriver from the side and pull !
The screwdriver and the curve of the metal clip in the picture below actually depress the plastic on the cap that hooks on to the metal tube.

The older Nissan has cap has a side opening which makes it easy to remove but the newer Nissan only a small opening from the top and those video on youtube shows inserting a sharp object from the top is not easy, at least for me.
Hope this helps someone who has trouble removing the transmission cap.

Attachments

• clip.gif
    clip.gif
    446 KB · Views: 4
  • clip2.gif
    clip2.gif
    476 KB · Views: 5
Drain & fill - 2015 Acura MDX 106,587 miles
Drained 4.1 qts of Acura DW-1, filled with same DW-1.

Last 4qt drain & fill was on 11-11-2019 @95,293 miles, drained ATF was still in pretty good condition, no burnt smell or anything. Want to keep this MDX for a long time.

Will do 2 more D&F if I receive the 18 qts of DW-1 bought from Amazon 2 weeks ago for $28/6pack. No sign of shipping, though.

My niece's 2015 Odyssey, 117K, unknown OCI
I was happy ro see the fluid came out dark red, not brown.

Out: 3.3 quarts DW-1, AFAIK
In: 3.3 quarts Idemitsu Honda DW-1 equivalent

I will service this transmission again soon... So easy!

2012 Kia Sedona 3.5 6 Speed, visual linked as it was so easy for the most part.

Out: Unknown dark fluid
In: Valvoline Maxlife
Bought used at 209k, still awaiting more maintenance records if possible, was serviced regularly at a dealership.

Full exchange about 9.5 quarts with spillage, but that $5 floor dry at Walmart did great, far exceeded the initial cat litter. Then the biodegradable cleaner on residual remains.

2008 Nissan Titan 4x4;

Out: OEM + Maxlife, LG Red
In: Castrol Import, LG Platinum

Fluid came out looking pretty good actually. Added 5-6oz Platinum. Switched from Max life to Castrol, like the idea of a thicker fluid, and I have bought some for the transfer case anyways. Transmission shifts very well with this combination 👍

85,795 miles

Recently purchased 2011 Nissan Frontier V6 with 167K.
I did 3 drain & refills with Maxlife. I am sure this was the first time the drain plug had ever been removed. There was not a single scratch or nick on the painted drain plug.
Doesn't that have a dipstick ?

I would seem the previous owner(s) could have easily done quick changes with a fluid extractor !!

2015 Kia Sedona 3.3L w/ 6 speed AT (37k miles)

Out: presumably Kia SP-IV

In: Wolf's Head Universal Synthetic, 5 quarts via drain and fill.

Van got a factory reman transmission installed at the Kia dealer last year, so only about 9k on the transmission and old fluid. I changed it out thinking I'd be proactive and get the break-in metals out, but I found no such metals or any sign of contamination. Old fluid came out bright red, looked like it just came from the bottle. So probably a giant waste of time, but figured it couldn't hurt. There was a good amount of crud on the drain plug magnet however.

I'll know for the next time I have a new transmission on my hands, that a very early first fluid change is a fools errand.

Mini Cooper R56 LCI 2012 6-speed manual ~50.000 km

Changed transmission oil yesterday on the Cooper. Second change in its life.
Factory fill: BMW MTF LT-4 75W-90 GL-4
Second fill at ~30.000 km: Ravenol MTF-2 75W-80 GL-4
Third fill at ~50.000 km:

~48 % Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 GL-4
~48 % Castrol Syntrans V-FE 75W-80 GL-4+

I couldn't resist to add a tiny bit of Eurol Engine Treat and Mannol Ester Additive I had laying around, less than half of what's recommended though. BMW says this GS6-55BG/Getrag 6MTT170 gearbox takes 1,7 l, however I succeeded to fill in appreciably more than two liters, just about 2,2 - 2,3 l in total. I would have prefered using some Castrol 75W-85 GL-4 but it isn't available in Europe except in 208 l drums.
On this occasion I flushed the transmission with some cheaper 75W-80 GL-4 and then put in a magnetic drain plug. Shift feel has been good with the original fill as well as with Ravenol and seems excellent with Castrol so far. Since this car is mainly used for commuting in town and on short trips and it doesn't see any excessive temps above +30°C at all I think it's acceptable using one step thinner gear oil.
Btw., I use to use a clear vinyl tube and a funnel for filling from above the engine bay. It's pretty tight on that Mini!

Back