post your latest transmission lubricant change.

1993 Volvo 240 wagon, AW70 transmission
Out: Castrol MV FS
In: Castrol MV FS, LM Top Tec 1800
Cooler Line Exchange, 15 quarts/liters total
XG16 remote filter replaced
20,000 mile OCI

2011 Ford Fusion SE, 6F35 transmission
Out: Factory fill (Motocraft Mercon LV)
In: Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi Vehicle ATF and Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF
Cooler line discharge (using Lisle 39960 to disconnect quick-connect) while refilling with funnel in transmission dip-stick tube
~9 quarts/liters total
No serviceable filter on this transmission
100'000 KM (~60000 Miles)

I should have done this earlier, but just started learning about auto maintenance recently. Mixing ATF might not have been the best idea, but it's what I had.

Fluid that came out was dark red, slightly brown. Had an awful odour, but I wouldn't describe it as burnt. I feel like I notice a small improvement in up-shifts.

Last edited:
Gave my wife her first experience of a drain and fill of ATF on her ‘10 Corolla. I did the drain part (still a nice shade of red) and she did the fill part: Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient ATF. 11,394 miles and 51 weeks since I did the same thing.
068C6872-4232-46E2-85C5-B5E6440390BC.jpeg

2009 Pontiac Vibe 2AZ-FE AWD U341E Trans Code
203,088km

Out: Assume factory fill Dexron VI or Toyota T-IV/WS and filter

In: Valvoline Maxlife ATF & Beck/Arnley Filter w/ Gasket

Klicks in use: Likely 203,088km 😒

2009 Pontiac Vibe 2AZ-FE AWD U341E Trans Code
203,088km

In: Valvoline Maxlife ATF & Beck/Arnley Filter w/ Gasket

Klicks in use: Likely 203,088km 😒
I'm curious to how it performs with the Maxlife in it.

Are you planning on doing multiple drains and fills?

2000 Camry V6, 232K, unknown OCI
Out: 2.5 quarts Dextron III (I think). Kinda dark; not to bad.
In: 2.5 quarts MaxLife Syn

I shoulda drained the differential... Maybe next time.
Car shifts perfectly.

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6/5-sp Auto.

Full flush with 13 quarts of Valvoline Maxlife Multivehicle.

OEM filter and gasket (pan drop).

2010 Pontiac Vibe GT 2AZ-FE FWD U250E Trans Code
31,945km

In: Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi ATF & Beck/Arnley Filter w/ Gasket

Time in use: Unquestionably 31,945km and 12 years.

2006 Tacoma with 113,000 miles. Replaced the filter with a Wix brand and refilled with Maxlife. Ran it with the rears off the ground for about a minute shifting though the gears. Then I drained, refilled and ran a minute through the gears, and repeated three more times until I used 14 quarts. Didn't notice any difference is the transmission's operation, it always seemed like it was new. I didn't pull a cooler line as I tend to make a mess. I used this fluid pump and did well

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 21
  • pAN.jpg
    pAN.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 20
  • WIRE.jpg
    WIRE.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 21
Maybe a quart and change out of my ‘97 Civic’s 5-speed. Two quarts of Honda MTF back in. I was worried my synchros might have been going, so I wanted to do the fluid change. Got the genuine stuff at a premium price (my local dealer is hella high on parts prices), plus crush washers for the drain and fill plugs.

It was not a synchro issue. The fluid was just low. But it didn’t look awful. My shifty crunchies are basically gone (though a 2-5 shift still isn’t great. Hmm.)

2015 Lincoln MKC 2.3 L @ 63,539 miles. This is the second time I did a drain and refill ( first time was 55,000 miles and I got 4.5 quarts out) This time I got 4 quarts out and put back in 4 quarts of Supertech Mercon LV. Was still pretty dark, so I’ll probably do another drain and refill this summer. Here is a picture of what it looked like in my measuring bucket.

Attachments

• CE945DB4-175F-4EC7-ADF7-55479EBCAA8E.jpeg
    CE945DB4-175F-4EC7-ADF7-55479EBCAA8E.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 15
2008 Ranger

Dropped the pan, lots of metal shavings on the magnet. Cleaned pan thoroughly, replaced filter with a Wix and added Motorcraft Mercon V. Capacity is supposed to be 10 qts, but only needed to add 4 qts til I hit the full mark on the dipstick. I left the pan off for about an hour but there still must've been a lot in there. I'll save the extra fluid and do another exchange in a year or so.

Back