post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2013 Acura RDX, 85,500 miles.

Out: 3.4 quarts OEM DW-1

In: 3.4 quarts HPL Green ATF

First of 3 planned drain and fills.

IMG-2259.jpg

I know it's only one of three but what do you think so far? Very interested in this ATF 👍
Did the remaining two drain and fills after posting. So far, so good. It definitely shifts differently, and in my opinion, it’s better. The previous fluid had been in for 35k miles and was still cherry red, but there’s always been a weird 2-3 shift and sometimes awkward downshift in this trans. The awkward downshift is still there, but the upshifts are much better. HPL makes an excellent product and I have no doubt that this fluid will hold up better over time than the OE DW-1.

On a separate note, you need like a 24” funnel to comfortably reach the fill hole. It's an inconvenient location, to say the least.

69697E27-8273-4125-BBA5-26ACB513C623.jpeg

Did the remaining two drain and fills after posting. So far, so good. It definitely shifts differently, and in my opinion, it’s better. The previous fluid had been in for 35k miles and was still cherry red, but there’s always been a weird 2-3 shift and sometimes awkward downshift in this trans. The awkward downshift is still there, but the upshifts are much better. HPL makes an excellent product and I have no doubt that this fluid will hold up better over time than the OE DW-1.

On a separate note, you need like a 24” funnel to comfortably reach the fill hole. It's an inconvenient location, to say the least.

View attachment 148165
Good to know thank you. Yeah that weird down shift could possibly be related to programming, have experienced so many modern transmissions that have funky shifting patterns.

My Mazda is the same way with the funnel way down there but I'm glad that I can actually fill it haha.

2013 Ford Fusion, 2.5L
6F45 transmission
Drain and fill (no serviceable filter)
5 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon LV
175k on car
40k since last drain and fill (2 years)
I paid $8.88 per quart with my discount at the dealer, MSRP is $9.19.
IIRC, it used to be about half that pre-COVID.

98 Ranger, 3.0L 2WD, 249K
Out - unknown fluid of Mercon V persuasion
In - Castrol Transmax Mercon V

Yes, I know I could have gotten away with MaxLife or Transmax Universal. But with officially licensed Ford ATF, why? Also changed the filter, used a Motorcraft filter kit. I did overfill by 1 pint, but I broke my Topsider.

Fluid was dark red on the dipstick and coming out. Pan had a layer of friction sludge though.
Comment on the pan: you mean non ferrous material ?

Was disappointed with the 2 quarts I got out of the Sentra ( I did pull the overflow tube out), so I did another drain and fill. This time 4 quarts came out! So I had to run around and buy more CVT fluid.

I feel pretty good now that it's been through 6 quarts. Next will be a filter change and pan drop around 30K miles.

Comment on the pan: you mean non ferrous material ?
Yep. It still shifts fine for 250K. No slip or flare.

The quick lube I suspect sucked out fluid from the dipstick tube or did a cooler line exchange. The OE filter and pan gasket were still there.

Reactions: 4WD
Niece's 2015 Oddysey EX-L, 159K, 35K OCI
In and out: maybe out 3.5 qts Idemitsu DW1 equivalent. Plus some Lubegard
Old fluid looked really good. MityVac for the win!
Also warshed it and filled 'er up. Reverese vacuumed it with Makita leaf blower. Easy peasey.

Wife's 2016 Mazda CX-5, 96K km's, about 60K miles

Out: factory fill, almost 3.8L. Looked ok, little dark. No sludge one the drain plug.
In: Mazda FZ ATF - put in 3.5L, let it warm up and ran through the gears, then while idling in P, checked and level was a bit low. Eventually added in the remaining 0.5L and level was good. I checked right after the blue "engine cold" light disappeared.

Took it for a drive and shifts smoother and nicer!
One thing I would change for next time (i'll do another drain and fill in Sept/Oct) is to leave the MAF sensor plugged in. By unplugging it, I got all sorts of error codes lighting up. They are all gone now, but I figure its because of that, can't see what else it could be.

2015 Honda Odyssey 58k
About 17k from last drain and fill done at the dealership.
Out- Honda F? Approx 4qt
In- Valvoline max life new washer.
Perhaps check your level. I usually get under 3.5 quarts. How do you like the MaxLife?
I like to add a little Lubegard Red to the swill.

Perhaps check your level. I usually get under 3.5 quarts. How do you like the MaxLife?
I like to add a little Lubegard Red to the swill.
Yea It was a right at 3.5. I was looking at the drain pan while it was finishing when I made the post. But measured it after words and it was right at 3.5. Other than driving it around the block not really sure yet. About to take a 1500 round trip through the mountains this weekend so I’ll get back with you.

Back