post your latest transmission lubricant change.

I figured it was more fun to take the whole transmission out and get the oil out that way.
20220412_194908.jpg

Thanks to @The Critic guide on transmission change for 2018+ Camry non-hybrid. Very helpful🍻
55k on unit.
This job has to be done 100% when the car has sat over night.
2x drain and fill with Idemitsu TLS-LV since it was confirmed working well by @The Critic . Napa had a bucket sale where if you ordered online u don't have to buy the bucket but 20% off. Came to 6.70ish a quart, half price compared dealer WS with no shipping charge. Rock auto was similar but no shipping charge at my local napa.

First drain popped out just under 3 quarts.
Filled with 3 quarts.
Gave it a run, P-R-N-D and back, idled for a min or so.
Second drain gave 2.5 quarts.
Put straw back in.
Filled with 3.5 quart. I figured it would cycle more thru anyway.
Did level check at ~100F. You actually have time to comfortably do it if the engine is cold.
Used 6.5 quart but 6 probably could've done it.

Car shifted fine previously but the fluid looked filled with junk. My white rag was purple rather than red. The color from the excess of the level check looked pretty good.
Used my BAFX bluetooth obd2 with car scanner elm for android which gives ATF temp as long as you select the vehicle model. The **** fill plug was tight as hell. I used my impact with a swivel to losen, saved my ass. Left my 3/8 breaker at my parents. The fill area is very very tight. If I could do it again I would've used a funnel with a long tube, my hand pump worked ok but it always leaves some fluid at the bottom which is annoying if u want to ensure the full quart. This is why I pumped in an extra quart at the end.

Plastic cover is a bad, but not as bad as my kia. Theres like 6 push clips and 4x10 mm bolts up front. Oh and u dont need to remove the oil change cover like I did pictured, it can all come off in one piece. One set you need an extension for. I didn't remove the front most plastic as that would be a hassle. You can bend the plastic around there to access the 10mm bolts.

Car shifts great and is quieter when changing gears. I believe it has all the tranny tsbs which fixed alot of the issues with this tranny when my lady first got it. I actually like the car way more than my kia, it just feels alot faster in comparison than it is.

Attachments

• 20220416_084855.jpg
    20220416_084855.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220416_081138.jpg
    20220416_081138.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
2006 Acura TSX, 208K, 28K OCI, 3.5 years
Out: 3 qts Nice and red Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent.
In: Same + maybe 6 or 7 oz Lubegard red stuff. Gonna see how she feels. Placebo effect baby!

MityVac for the win! Easy peasy...
This is a nice car. Bought it new Dec 2006.

Last edited:
Why would you add the red Lubegard jk ??

Just curious.

I got a 06 Acura TL now...

So I'm curious what you are running in yours.

Why would you add the red Lubegard jk ??

Just curious.

I got a 06 Acura TL now...

So I'm curious what you are running in yours.
Well, the Honda forums swear by the stuff. Our TSX has been a wonderful car. I have serviced the trans about every 25K to 30K. So easy.
I used to use the Honda fluid; now I buy the 5 qt Idemitsu equivalent. But the price has skyrocketed... Sheesh. I really think the Idemitsu pulls better at street driven speeds. Placebo?

I guess I just wanted to try the Lubegard. I will be servicing my friend's 98 Accord that she sez is dragging when cold between 1st and 2nd.
Also, many will argue that you should pull the drain plug and clean the magnet. I found the magnet is the fullest when the trans is new; break in materials I assume? Anyways, this time I used the MityVac which removed a little more than 3 quarts. Sooo easy.

Wifey took it to work. She is pretty in tune with the cars; she sez if feels great. I will ask for her thoughts later. At least my wallet is a little lighter, so there's that.

By the way, your TL will be the V6 engine; it's no secret that trans had its share of troubles. I would definitely service that bad boy. Maybe even spring for the Lubegard Red stuff.

Last edited:
@bbhero the TSX was driven about 50 miles; it feels really good. If you have any question of the service history on your TL, service it. I would give the Lubegard a try. 6 or 7 ounces. Good luck.

@bbhero the TSX was driven about 50 miles; it feels really good. If you have any question of the service history on your TL, service it. I would give the Lubegard a try. 6 or 7 ounces. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the answer jk.

My brother in law Frank has done a lot of work on this Acura TL. .

Replaced the transmission at 206,000 miles himself.

Replaced rear brake pads very recently... Changed coils on all 6 cylinders very recently too.

He has used Acura Honda DW-1 fluid in this reman transmission.

Air conditioning is great.... High 30s from the vent and outside temp was hot for this time of the year upper 80s..

That's a huge deal for me because I have multiple sclerosis which heat is a bad deal for me.

The car runs really well and has good power. The transmission does act very goofy at times... Especially under hard acceleration from different speeds.

But generally it runs very well and shifts quite good.

I will likely use the Idemitsu type H + in the car. AutoZone has it for $7.69 a quart now.... I'm wondering if they are getting rid of it. It was $12.99 just two weeks ago. And I'm likely to run the Lubegard red too. They definitely make a legit really good product.

Thank you very much for the answer jk.

My brother in law Frank has done a lot of work on this Acura TL. .

Replaced the transmission at 206,000 miles himself.

Replaced rear brake pads very recently... Changed coils on all 6 cylinders very recently too.

He has used Acura Honda DW-1 fluid in this reman transmission.

Air conditioning is great.... High 30s from the vent and outside temp was hot for this time of the year upper 80s..

That's a huge deal for me because I have multiple sclerosis which heat is a bad deal for me.

The car runs really well and has good power. The transmission does act very goofy at times... Especially under hard acceleration from different speeds.

But generally it runs very well and shifts quite good.

I will likely use the Idemitsu type H + in the car. AutoZone has it for $7.69 a quart now.... I'm wondering if they are getting rid of it. It was $12.99 just two weeks ago. And I'm likely to run the Lubegard red too. They definitely make a legit really good product.
$8 per quart is a good price at today's prices. I think I paid closer to $50 for the 5 qt jug on Amazon. Good luck and please post your results.
I should check my local AZ...

Did a drain and fill on my mom's 2018 Kia Soul.
Only 35,931 miles on it, but figured it was a good time to get a partial change done.

Used some Maxlife ATF I had bought a few years ago to do the change with.
Old fluid looked good, still reddish looking and did not smell bad (well at least not any different than normal smelly ATF fluid, but as I said, getting a partial change done now will hopefully keep the transmission alive for a very long time.

2013 Mazda 6 at 130k miles.
Shop drain and fill of ~3qt Amsoil SS Multi. Crew said the drained was clean, quite fresh-looking, and had no meaningful particles. Likely could have gone a lot longer. Well, now I will as it seems I am well ahead of this game. I drive a lot less these days as I work from home. My trips are usually longer distances.

2004 GMC 2500HD 6.0/4L80E
97,755 miles
I did 3 consecutive drain and fills. I used Chevron Delo Syn ATF HD.

I pulled the pan and changed the filter 2 years ago at 94,341 miles. IIRC it took about 5.5 quarts to fill it up after I dropped the pan and changed the filter. The pan drop done in 2020 is the only known service on this unit. The fluid was nearly black and had a distinct burnt smell on the first service.

I had it in for an oil change today and pulled the trans dipstick to check the fluid level and condition. It was still very dark and burnt smelling. This was the first drain…
4627CA01-74AA-4D1A-A106-7A8D92FC1658.jpg

Draining from the drain plug only gets about 3 quarts out. I refilled the trans and cycled it through all the gears on the lift, I let it run for about 3-4 miles on the lift and shut it down and drained it again. The second drain looked slightly better. I refilled it a second time and let it run another 3-4 miles on the lift, cycling through all the gears, and then drained it a third and final time. This was the fluid on the third drain…
FF07E4AC-AB05-477D-9A2E-83295AF1F17E.jpg

On third and final refill I put in 82oz of ATF and 14oz of Lubegard Platinum for a total of 3 quarts. I checked the fluid level with the truck idling in park and it was on the upper end of the HOT crosshatched marks.

@BlakeB

If I read you post correctly, 2 years and just over 3K miles and the ATF is black like that? Something seems like it is very wrong for that to happen.
The fluid was very black and burnt when I dropped the pan and changed the filter 2 years ago. The pan didn’t have anything in it that concerned me and the magnet didn’t look too bad. The plan was to do a few drain and fills over a few days following the initial pan drop to cycle some fresh fluid into it. We got busy and it doesn’t get driven much anymore so no drain and fills were done after the pan drop. A pan drop gets less than 1/2 of the fluid out of the transmission and the fluid color/smell didn’t change very much with the initial change of about 5.5 quarts. This truck has done a lot of heavy towing in its 12 years with us, much of which was with a 25 foot dual wheel tandem axle gooseneck that weighs over 7,000 lbs empty and more than 20,000 lbs loaded. My 2017 Duramax has taken the place of the 2004 for the heavy hauling.

The fluid looked pink on the dipstick after the third drain and refill. I wouldn’t say it was red like new fluid but it wasn’t black anymore and it lacked the nose burning smell of burnt trans fluid.

Last edited:
2019 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner Out factory fill , 52,320 miles
In MaxLife 3 quarts, 26 ounces
Oil was just off color some but good other wise. Did drain plug. Will try again but vacuum to see how much comes from the top
in about 500 miles or so.

2010 GMC Acadia 249k
Castrol Transmax Universal ATF/CVT fluid

Old fluid was really black, issues with slippage. Owner was aware this is basically a Hail Mary. We will see how long before it’s, oops all neutrals.

2007 Honda Fit A/T w/ 282k miles
49k miles on fluid

OUT: 6 Qts Total (2x Drain) Amsoil ATL
IN: 6 Qts Total (2x Fill) Amsoil ATL
*Also changed the Filter.

It’s been doing great on Amsoil’s ATL since converting from Honda ATF back at 166k miles, shortly after buying the car.

This was the 2nd series of multiple D&Fs it’s had since then.

The 1st interval was 67k miles and changed at 233k miles on unit. Fluid was in decent shape then.

At 49k this time, the fluid was still in really good condition.

I may save some $$$ and just do 1 D&F next time. Perhaps at about the same mileage or a shorter interval. Or I could cap the current 2x method at 60k miles.

2016 RDX 6AT, 139K

Out: Honda ATF DW-1, 15K
In: 4.2qt of the same

Fluid was light brown with a tinge of red left. Fluid gets drain and refilled every other oil change.

1998 Honda Accord LX 2.3 4 banger; 145K; 9K interval
This was my folks car, I gave it to my frined (single Mom) when my Dad passed 3 years ago.
Cindy complained of poor shifting; she told me the fluid was correct.
There was a check engine light on; I did not read it.
She drove from Sac area to my house, about 140 miles.

The dip stick was dry. The bottom of the transmission was nice and wet.
I drained out hardly any fluid; it seemed to have metal in it. The plug magnet was pretty covered with shavings.
I put in about 6 to 8 ounces of Lubegard red and 3+ quarts of MaxLife. Interestingly, the check engine light is off.

Of course it is running much better; I ain't holding my breath. Rebuild time is right around the corner.

Back