Post your latest small engine oil change

A good customer's Honda HS928 snowblower with the GX270 engine. This thing is mint and always garaged and washed/waxed at the end of each season and it shows.

Out: Napa synthetic 5w30
In: Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w30

IMG_0654.jpg

Other resurrection is a 46 or 7 Delco 1000 watt 32vdc light plant. This one has been languishing outside uncovered for over 20 years. Surprisingly enough it wasn't stuck and with some ignition work it fired up and ran. Oil added Traveller 30.

View attachment 226107

Very cool you resurrect and maintain these old engines. Very nice. Thank You for sharing your info and knowledge. I appreciate it very much.

So I snagged a used Hyundai Hy2009si genset off my buddy for cheap. Hadn't ran in a year and sat with old gas. Did the oil today. Out was unknown oil at unknown hours. In went some 0w40 CK4 oil that was the closest oil to grab that wasn't in a 20L pail. I think its only 12 ounces of oil, didn't measure just added until it looked good on the dipstick.

Ryobi 212cc pressure washer. Bought brand new last February. 1.5 hours use
Out: factory fill. Didn't even seem like oil. It was very watery looking. Gray in color. Never seen oil like this
In: Mobil1 5w-40 synthetic
This oil change was a pain. Made a pretty good mess too

View attachment 222757

View attachment 222758

View attachment 222759
Wow. I have two Ryobi Pressure washers also, one with this same no-name engine and another with the Honda GCV 170 engine. The no-name engine (this one) runs much better than the Honda, I am still on the factory fill only after a few hours. I will also put in 15w40 of some sort probably in the fall or spring.

1955 or 6 Briggs 6FB with a Marlowe 11/2 centrifugal pump. This one I purchased on a 2 pallet lot at auction. I only wanted a few engines out of the lot but no complaints. My friend Dave is a pump guy so it came with us to the Vista engine show for him. We cleaned the points and dumped a little water out of the fuel system, topped off the oil, made a new governor link and put it to work. This little guy runs flawlessly. Oil added Traveller 30.

20240623_074852.jpg

1955 or 6 Briggs 6FB with a Marlowe 11/2 centrifugal pump. This one I purchased on a 2 pallet lot at auction. I only wanted a few engines out of the lot but no complaints. My friend Dave is a pump guy so it came with us to the Vista engine show for him. We cleaned the points and dumped a little water out of the fuel system, topped off the oil, made a new governor link and put it to work. This little guy runs flawlessly. Oil added Traveller 30.

View attachment 226504

You find all the sweet deals. Very cool! Thank You for sharing 🍺🍻👍🇺🇸🇨🇦

Engine is a 26 HP Kohler Courage installed on my Scag Turf Tiger. I have been using Mobil 1 EP 10W-30, but since the engine is 23 years old with nearly 1,000 hours on it I decided to up the viscosity a bit to 15W-40. I chose Mobil Delvac Extreme because of it's meaty additive dosage, allowing me to add 5% of a 9 cSt advanced POE without being concerned with additive dilution. Hopefully the POE will provide some slow piston cleaning. The engine runs smoother and quieter, although that may be because I re-gapped the plugs, one of which was quite narrow.

Kohler Courage SV590S 19 hp

Rotella T4 10W-30. Keep the crankcase cover bolts torqued and these engines are tanks. Tried 5W-30 synthetic in the past but the oil level dropped over the season so I use the Rotella now.

Kohler Courage SV590S 19 hp

Rotella T4 10W-30. Keep the crankcase cover bolts torqued and these engines are tanks. Tried 5W-30 synthetic in the past but the oil level dropped over the season so I use the Rotella now.
Unfortunately the cover bolts is only one of the common flaws they have. Definitely use loctite on the cover bolts, and RTV "right stuff" on the valve cover gasket if it is leaking.

18kw Generac Generator
5 hours run time total

Out: Factory 5w30 conventional & OE Generac filter
In: Vavoline 5w30 Daily Protection conventional/synblend & Fram TG4386

Will run this till I get to 25 hours total when it says you can switch to synthetic 5w30.

Are these the valve cover bolts?
The single cylinder Courage engines have the crankcase cover on the top under the flywheel instead of the bottom of the engine by the crank. These bolts like to work loose and get jammed in the flywheel causing all sorts of damage. One of that engine's many flaws.

Back