Post your latest small engine oil change

Ryobi 212cc pressure washer. Bought brand new last February. 1.5 hours use
Out: factory fill. Didn't even seem like oil. It was very watery looking. Gray in color. Never seen oil like this
In: Mobil1 5w-40 synthetic
This oil change was a pain. Made a pretty good mess too

20240602_125618.jpg

20240602_125546.jpg

20240602_125543.jpg

Bad Boy 2011 model, 60 inch deck, 26 HP Briggs. Dumped out 2 quarts of somewhat dark oil. Refilled with 15w40 oil. Installed new plugs, oil filter, air filter. Runs really good. New gaskets installed on ZT 3100, fluid and filter swap, new fan on right hydro. Changed out original spindles, belts, etc. Greased up the mower....good for 5 more years!!! Life is good!!

Biltema DG 1250is inteverter generator. First fill of 5w-30 C3, about 8 hours of no-load running divided into 4 hour sessions with overnight cool down inbetween. Manual calls for first change at 20 hours, and subsequent changes every 100 hours(!)
In went Ravenol NDT 5w-40.
I've never seen this much oil in metal.

IMG_3992.jpg

Last edited:
I always wanted a John Deer walk behind, I didn't have a house when they were on the market though. To bad they abandoned that market.
They are nicely made and work great. Parts are still available.

There are a lot of good mowers on the secondary market. Like anything, some sellers ask for prices like they’re gold, some just want to be rid of the item, and some are in between. It’s kind of fun to tinker around on these things. You can always buy a used one to mess around with for not much money.

Since Day 1 when I brought this Troybilt home 14 years ago, I've used Brad Penn 30w. First change was at 5 hours, then every 10 to 12 hours after that.

Brad Penn has ZDDP, which I'm told used to be in all oils, but they took it out to protect catalytic converters. It's often used in off-road engines, and when you think about it, a mower engine runs in about those same conditions: hot, dirty, high speeds, and high loads.

TroyBuilt Profile 3 (Small).jpg

I know she's not the fanciest or most expensive mower out there, but she's by far the best push mower I've ever had. And I'm confident Brad Penn oil has helped keep it that way.

Last edited:
Since Day 1 when I brought this Troybilt home 14 years ago, I've used Brad Penn 30w. First change was at 5 hours, then every 10 to 12 hours after that.

Brad Penn has ZDDP, which I'm told used to be in all oils, but they took it out to protect catalytic converters. It's often used in off-road engines, and when you think about it, a mower engine runs in about those same conditions: hot, dirty, high speeds, and high loads.

View attachment 224224

I know she's not the fanciest or most expensive mower out there, but she's by far the best push mower I've ever had. And I'm confident Brad Penn oil has helped keep it that way.
Those quantums will run forever on swill, my dad has a Craftsman(Husqvarna) from the late 90s that I trashpicked and replaced the engine brake cable on and gave to him that runs great, I doubt it was ever given premium oil by it's previous owner. I got a Honda GCV 160 that still runs well, that was used by my neighbor's nephew commercially for several years, the MTD deck fell apart but the motor still runs well, I'm pretty sure he just used cheap generic 10W-30 or SAE30 in it. The important thing is to change the oil and to use something with adequate viscosity and a small engine will likely outlast the deck it's on.

I have an old craftsman SS12 garden tractor with the Tecumseh HH120.
This thing is a beast easily towing my log splitter that’s 1000 lbs. I recently had to change the transmission drive belt & thought while I’m here I’ll change the engine oil & grease it.
When I finished I recorded the service & the last time I changed the oil was in 2012!!
I always check the oil & use synthetic’s plus it’s only used to pull a small trailer or log splitter for yard work. The oil on the dip stick always looked ok & I never added any oil. The drain oil was not that bad.
Next scheduled service in 2036 doubt I’ll be around by then.
90cummins

Those quantums will run forever on swill,
Yes, that's what I've heard.

As fond as I am of this mower, it's not been without it's little issues over the years.

At 8 years, the carburetor clogged, from ethanol. I replaced it with an OEM, then overhauled and rebuilt the original. It sits on the shelf now, and when the current unit gets 'ethanoled', I'll repeat the swap and carry on. (I do use Seafoam, which helps.)
TroyBilt Carburetor.JPG

At 10 years, the rear wheels broke apart (plastic dry rot).
Broken Wheel 1  06-26-2021 (Small).jpg

I replaced them with steel wheels with ball bearings. Much betta now.

At 12 years, I decarbonized the cylinder head.
TroyBilt Cylinder Head Carbonization (Small).jpg
TroyBilt Cylinder Head Cleaned And Polished (Small).jpg

And now at 14 years, I'm seeing a little puff of blue smoke out the exhaust on shutdown. And sometimes the oil level gets low (See, relevant to this thread!).

So I looked around, took a peek in the air filter, and lookie what I found:
TroyBilt Oil Leak ((small).jpg

Well, well. Looks like it's time for a new PCV/Crankcase Breather Vent.

And the beat goes on...

Bad Boy 2011 model, 60 inch deck, 26 HP Briggs. Dumped out 2 quarts of somewhat dark oil. Refilled with 15w40 oil. Installed new plugs, oil filter, air filter. Runs really good. New gaskets installed on ZT 3100, fluid and filter swap, new fan on right hydro. Changed out original spindles, belts, etc. Greased up the mower....good for 5 more years!!! Life is good!!
I like the new 21" Bad Boy push mower. Supposedly it's the same thing as a Y Bravo (sp?). They get decent reviews on Youtube. My latest oil change was on my 1999 Snapper with a swapped 2012 Briggs 7.25 flat head motor. Used Briggs 30 oil and the motor doesn't have a filter.

>> My latest oil change was on my 1999 Snapper with a swapped 2012 Briggs 7.25 flat head motor. Used Briggs 30 oil and the motor doesn't have a filter. <<

Hey Silverado12,

Would you happen to know the Model and Type numbers on that 2012 Briggs Flathead 7.25 motor?

I wonder if any only those are still available.

2011 JD X320 with 726 cc Kawasaki engine.
Bought new 13 years ago today and has only 90.5 hours on it.
Out: 50/50 10w40 20w50 Castrol motorcycle oil & Fram PH8A filter.
In: 2.65 litres of 20w50 Castrol motorcycle oil and OE Plus 8A filter.
With just a filter change from the little stock filter I’ve increased the oil capacity 20% from 2.2L.
Yesterday I mowed half an acre of waist deep grass which would have been impossible with a walk behind mower. The poor tractor worked its butt off until the drive belt finally came off.

Back