Post your latest small engine oil change

Toro Super Recycler with Toro TXP engine.
T5 out, T5 in.

Every time I pull the filter I think, "well that ain't that bad" until I compare it to a new one. These come with a rock catcher foam pre-filter which I think helps quite a bit.

@jeepman3071 @Ride_Red
I've never had a small engine take less than 18 oz.

How are you measuring your oil level? You do not screw in the dipstick.
I kept the oil bottle that came with the mower. It is 13oz (or so the markings on the side of the bottle say it is). I fill this bottle above the 13oz line and pour it in.

When checking the oil level, I wipe the dipstick, then put it in until it rests on the threads. I do not screw it down. Then pull it out to read the level.

I usually drain it pretty good. Warm it up, tip it on the side, rock it back/forth/fore/aft/etc. It always takes a bit more than 13oz to fill it back up. Been doing it this way for 16 years now.

I'm getting old and crazy. Every year I try a different oil in my tractor. First it was 15w40, which worked fine, then 30wt HDEO, and it worked fine, and this year I started using 10w30 HDEO, and so far so good. So, what's that tell me? You can use any reasonable roughly 30wt oil and be in tall clover!!!

I'm getting old and crazy. Every year I try a different oil in my tractor. First it was 15w40, which worked fine, then 30wt HDEO, and it worked fine, and this year I started using 10w30 HDEO, and so far so good. So, what's that tell me? You can use any reasonable roughly 30wt oil and be in tall clover!!!
Pretty sure if you use anything that looks like motor oil you'll be fine. I've drained stuff out of customer machines that didn't even resemble motor oil and they were still fine. :LOL:

Kawasaki FR691V in a Cub Cadet Ultima ZT2

Out: Factory fill with 5.1 hours on it, factory oil filter. It did burn a little bit of oil, maybe a quarter of a quart during break in which was topped off with some left over Rotella T4 15w40.

In: Rotella T5 15w40 and a Kawasaki oil filter.

2006 Craftsman YS4500 (Limited Edition) 42" lawn tractor.

Out: After 36 hours, Super Tech Heavy Duty 30W.

In: Briggs&Stratton premium 4-cycle small engine 30W with a splash of MMO and filter.

Husqvarna yth22v46 (Briggs Intek 22)
Out: Magnatec Syn-Blend 5w-30, FL910S
In: Supertech Full Syn 5w-30, Fram PH3614

18.5 hp Craftsman last year's model. A little over kill but did not want to run to the store

Penzoil platinum 5w-30

Attachments

• PXL_20220518_212804431.jpg
    PXL_20220518_212804431.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 37
Cub Cadet XT3 with a Kohler Command Pro CH680
136.2 hours on the engine, 44 hours on this OCI

Out: Royal Purple 10W-40 w/Synerlec and Wix 51348
In: Amsoil Small Engine 10W-40 and Wix 51348

Also changed the fuel filter, swapped in a new set of blades for the deck, and greased everything.

Last edited:
1653082864667.jpg

1989? Ariens w/ 5HP Tecumseh
Out:???
In: 10W30 Carquest Full Syn

The serial on the engine is 9143, I presume it means it was manufacturer the 143rd day 1989, The CPSC compliance sticker says it's definitely from the 80s or later, I could be wrong and it could be from 1999.

View attachment 101082
This newer style fwd Toro with the Briggs no oil change motor. Funny enough, owner just kept dumping in oil. Was 3/4 up the dip stick and smoked like a chimney.

Out: way too much of something
In: Castrol HD sae 30
I've had so many mowers with that issue I've lost count. Customers who bring it in because it's smoking, or the engine is hydrolocked because the oil it literally filled to the top of the dipstick.

My GCV160 takes about 13-ish ounces, depending on how long I let the old oil drain out.
My HRN216 has the GCV170 motor. I changed the oil using the Briggs and Stratton oil extractor. I refilled with exactly 12 ounces of oil. I just checked it again (mower has been sitting for 24 hours) and the oil is to the top of the crosshatch. I’m assuming that’s full

Back