Post your latest small engine oil change

My HRN216 has the GCV170 motor. I changed the oil using the Briggs and Stratton oil extractor. I refilled with exactly 12 ounces of oil. I just checked it again (mower has been sitting for 24 hours) and the oil is to the top of the crosshatch. I’m assuming that’s full
I guess that's the difference. I tip my mower on its side and move it around different angles to drain it out. More oil must come out of the nooks and crannies when I tip it.

My HRN216 has the GCV170 motor. I changed the oil using the Briggs and Stratton oil extractor. I refilled with exactly 12 ounces of oil. I just checked it again (mower has been sitting for 24 hours) and the oil is to the top of the crosshatch. I’m assuming that’s full
Better than tipping or flipping the mower to drain the oil . Those were the days . They should of came with a box of DOAN's for back pain relief
. Had a Sears and MTD push mower that had a drain plug under the deck . The MTD ( B&S ) had a metal plug and the SEARS ( Tecumseh ) was plastic . Still had to raise them to get to the plug . Would lift it and place on 2 plastic saw horses with bucket below it to catch the oil . So , still was a pain in the ______ .

Last edited:
Better than tipping or flipping the mower to drain the oil . Those were the days . They should of came with a box of DOAN's for back pain relief
. Had a Sears and MTD push mower that had a drain plug under the deck . The MTD ( B&S ) had a metal plug and the SEARS ( Tecumseh ) was plastic . Still had to lift to get to the plug . Would lift it and place on 2 plastic saw horses with bucket below it to catch the oil . So , still was a pain in the ______ .
Yep! That Briggs and Stratton kit is awesome!

IMG_20220525_203202069_HDR.jpg

2003 Craftsman Yard Vacuum w/ 6HP Briggs Quantum
Out:???
In: Rotella T6 0W-40

Picked up a used Swisher 44" rough cut mower. Out was a some unknown, darker, sparkly oil. In went Federated Co-op DMO CK4 semi synthetic 5w30. I didn't have my conventional 10w30 so this will do.

The thing runs like a top!

IMG_20220528_162600646_HDR.jpg

2019 Craftsman M210 w/ 5.5hp 140cc OHV Briggs
Our:Factory provided SAE30???
In: Rotella T6 0W-40
Just picked it up off the curb, it looks like it was only use a handful of times to mow overgrown grass before something fell and cracked the starter and broke some tabs off the blower housing that hold the starter, borrowed the starter and blower housing off of a Troy-Bilt TB 110 I have I need to order a new one. I found it kind of odd that it's a manual primer, I'd have thought all of them up in the price range of the self-propelled would all have the auto priming auto choke system.

Honda mower with the GCV190 met the MityVac for its annual change, about 16 oz of Mobil 1 0w-40 FS out and in.

2011 JD X320 73 hours on tractor (726 CC ), 15 hours on oil.
Out; 10w40 Castrol motorcycle and #3600 Fram ultra filter.
In; 2 1/2 L 15w40 PC Duron SHP and Delco 1232.
I snapped some plastic shrouding for the longer filters.

2013 Huskee LT4200 , 420cc Power more.
Valvoline 15w40 One Solution Gen 2 , Fram Ultra XG3600.

Champion 1800w Inverter Generator.
STP 40w.

1654564710287.jpg

Picked up a 2015 MTD Yard Machine mower with the 140cc OHV 550EX engine, cleaned the carb, and it was smoking real bad when running, I thought it was only slightly overfilled on the dipstick, but when I poured it out it filled almost an entire large McDonald's cup, so looks like there was a whole quart in there.

Out:1qt of ???
In: an appropriate amount of Rotella T6 0W-40

OHV Briggs and Stratton; probably 5.5/140cc (looks like the one above)
Out: Motomaster lawnmower SAE 30, in there for about 2 years..? Don’t really remember.
In: Frankenblend of 5W-30 and 10W-30 conventional, with a bit of RGT 0W-20. About 10-12 ounces. Engine doesn’t use a drop of oil, even with a lot of heavy, hot mowing. Impressive unit.

1992 White 42in Riding Mower 15.5hp B&S.
Out: Pennzoil 10w30 / B&S Filter.
In: SuperTech 15w40 / SuperTech ST3614 Filter.

2013 Husqvarna 21in Push Mower 5.50 B&S.
Out: Traveller's 10w30
In: Fram 30w.

Honda mower with the GCV190 met the MityVac for its annual change, about 16 oz of Mobil 1 0w-40 FS out and in.
*Same Honda mower and engine : I held the mower upside down over a drain bucket moving it around at different angles - totally went "Pro Wrestler" with the thing removing about 16 oz. of oil ... Refilled with M1 5W30 EP - now will look into B&S oil extractor as I'm too old to be manhandling my Honda mower upside down to drain the oil out !

*Same Honda mower and engine : I held the mower upside down over a drain bucket moving it around at different angles - totally went "Pro Wrestler" with the thing removing about 16 oz. of oil ... Refilled with M1 5W30 EP - now will look into B&S oil extractor as I'm too old to be manhandling my Honda mower upside down to drain the oil out !
I recently bought an oil extractor from Amazon for changing oil on our craftsman tractor. Makes life soo easy now,with no mess to clean up.

Back