Post your latest small engine oil change

First oil change in a customer's Kawasaki fr651 at 8 hours. Drained 2 quarts Pennzoil 10w30 and refilled with the same. Swapped oil filters. Lots of metal glitter in the oil filter. To be expected on the first change. After next oil change going to M1 and 100 hour changes.

Honda Harmony II GCV160
Out: Chevron Delo 400XLE 10w-30
In: same

Approx 2 years on oil change. Still looked as good as new oil. Unsure on the amount of hours, maybe 30-50?

1979 Tecumseh TVS90 Vertical 3.5 hp
out kero laced harvest king sae 30.
in delo 100 sae 40 treated with 3 ounces of lubegard biotech.

Preformed two flushes first time with kero mixed in the oil and it got a lot of gelatinous crap out second engine is running better and much more quiet now the prev owner really beat on this engine and it shocked me it still runs good.

Ryobi 4 cycle blower

Dumped the M1 20w50 which has been in since spring.
Filled with Rotella T6 5w40.
I use the blower at least twice a week for around 15 minutes each time.

Originally Posted by FastLane
Homelite LR5500 generator. Briggs 11hp.
Out M1 10W30
In M1 5W30

See if the 5W30 makes it easier to pull over when cold.
There's a big difference between straight SAE 30 and a 5W-30, that much I know from experience.

Toro SR4 with B&S
Out: Thick and black something. Conversed with the previous owner and he didnt recall ever changing the oil.
In: Shell SAE30.

Another curb pick up. Kinda late in the season but couldn't say no. Gave it a once over and started right up. Put it in the shed and will flip it in the spring.

Predator 670cc 22hp V-twin

Oil out: Mobil 1 racing 0w-30
Oil in: 50/50 mix, Mobil 1 racing 0w-30/Mobil 1 5w-30

Filter: Oregon 83-283

Broke it in for 10 hours on straight Mobil 1 racing. Now run a half mix with vanilla 5w-30.

Used to push a 18' tin bass boat atop a longtail setup. Motor has an impressive amount of grunt down low.

Craftsman 42" with 19 HP Briggs & Stratton

Out: Delo 10w30
In: B&S Synthetic 5w30

Fram TG3614 stays on until springtime

I thought I was done this season.

Another Toro SR4 on the curb. Handle and transmission was shot, but B&S motor worked. Flipped the motor over to a broken regular 22" Recycler.

Out: Unknown, dark and smelled like deep fryer oil.
In: Formula Shell 10w30

Used it to mulch the leaves then shoved it into the shed. Will flip it come spring.

Originally Posted by Red91
How many mowers to you have ready to flip as of now?

Ended the season with 2. Above mentioned Recycler and another working SR4 Super.

Just looked at all my pictures/ads. Flipped 13 Toro's, 1 Brute, 3 Honda's. Most were freebies. A couple were paid for but no more than $50 max. Not bad for killing time. Started it all in the spring as a way to upgrade my personal use push mower to self propelled. Got my Chonda powered SR4 and kept finding more freebies.

Girlfriend's family's generator, 5000W Briggs with a 9HP B&S Vanguard engine.

Out: Mix of whatever 5W/10W30 I had laying around before giving it to them this time last year (it was gifted to me from an old coworker).
In: 1 quart QS Defy/HM 5W30.

Some sources say it takes 33.8 ounces and some say it takes 40, this one was right up to the full mark with one quart. It will only run reliably on partial choke, will be draining/washing the gas tank and changing the shutoff valve, filter and lines soon. If that fails then an Amazon carb is going on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Macsignals
It will only run reliably on partial choke, will be draining/washing the gas tank and changing the shutoff valve, filter and lines soon. If that fails then an Amazon carb is going on.
Have you considered running a fuel system cleaner through it? Something PEA based like Redline SL-1. It might be worth a try if you already have some. A Wawa station out my way just started selling Ethanol free gas, and I am thinking of using it in everything that sits idle for long periods. That includes the generators.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Have you considered running a fuel system cleaner through it? Something PEA based like Redline SL-1. It might be worth a try if you already have some. A Wawa station out my way just started selling Ethanol free gas, and I am thinking of using it in everything that sits idle for long periods. That includes the generators.

You know what I'll give it a try, after going through it all with my generator and ending up changing the carb out anyways my mind goes right to carb replacement now. I wish the Wawas they're building here in Lower Bucks had ethanol free!

Originally Posted by Macsignals
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
You know what I'll give it a try, after going through it all with my generator and ending up changing the carb out anyways my mind goes right to carb replacement now. I wish the Wawas they're building here in Lower Bucks had ethanol free!
Ethanol free gas at Wawa seems to be a carefully controlled marketing experiment. I plan to place my vote by purchasing some soon. Hopefully enough others will do the same. Corn based ethanol as a fuel additive was a very bad idea, both economically and environmentally, but I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for Congress to wake up and repeal the RFS act.

Back