Post your latest oil change

Yes I just hate the cartridge filters in general. I wish Toyota had simplified it like other manufacturers and made it have a nut on the top where you just put a socket on. I am the only one who has touched it. I think where they are constantly hot and cold hot and cold it seals them up pretty well making them really tight. I never over tighten them. Just go until the ratchet stops then I make sure it’s mating surface is touching and let it be. You just don’t ever want to take one off hot then it’s almost guaranteed it will crack.
Wow... I service 3 of these cars: our '13 GS, my grand niece's '17 Corolla and a neighbor's '11 Camry 4 banger. Never had a problem removing the housing. Of course, the GS has the metal housing; the others are composite.

But yeah, the filter housing style has been a bummer since day one. Have you ever changed the oil filter a 1967 or older Chevy engine? Millions of those engines were changed over. I worked at a local Mobil Station in high school and serviced a ton of these. Loved doing the Vettes...

Oil Filter Corvette

Wow... I service 3 of these cars: our '13 GS, my grand niece's '17 Corolla and a neighbor's '11 Camry 4 banger. Never had a problem removing the housing. Of course, the GS has the metal housing; the others are composite.

But yeah, the filter housing style has been a bummer since day one. Have you ever changed a 1967 or older Chevy engine? Millions of those engines were changed over.

Oil Filter Corvette
Haha no haven’t done any old Chevy not that old anyway. That looks like a pain.

Yep I'm sure that little mistake has cost Toyota a bunch of business. My New Mazda has a spin on filter. But it does have the pain in the ass belly pan that no one really has a good explanation for!
If you take out the screws and the passenger side push pin on the sheild covering the oil filter, you can pull down and spin the sheild and turn it out of the way. just leave the rear most push pin. It's what we do at our dealer.

Yes I just hate the cartridge filters in general. I wish Toyota had simplified it like other manufacturers and made it have a nut on the top where you just put a socket on. I am the only one who has touched it. I think where they are constantly hot and cold hot and cold it seals them up pretty well making them really tight. I never over tighten them. Just go until the ratchet stops then I make sure it’s mating surface is touching and let it be. You just don’t ever want to take one off hot then it’s almost guaranteed it will crack.
Just because you hate it doesn’t make it fact. Get over it. KIA and Hyundai are using cartridge filters. It is NOT a stupid design either. If a gorilla puts it on and I can’t break it free I send it to dealer. Better get used to seeing a lot more cartridge filters also as BMW, Mercedes, Mini, VW use this also.

Just because you hate it doesn’t make it fact. Get over it. KIA and Hyundai are using cartridge filters. It is NOT a stupid design either. If a gorilla puts it on and I can’t break it free I send it to dealer. Better get used to seeing a lot more cartridge filters also as BMW, Mercedes, Mini, VW use this also.
My friend Debbie has a gorgeous Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 Turbo Diesel. The top side filter housing makes services a snap.

Every car manufacturer is going to the canister filter cartridges. It's the resource conserving, easy to crush the oil out and burn the paper in a furnace, green thing to do. Will probably be mandated in Europe if they don't flat outlaw ICEs first.

Son’s 2012 Ford Focus SE at 63,223 miles. The oci was only 2,000 miles, but 13 months. Still running like a champ.

out - Castrol Magnetec 0w-20 and a MC Fl910s
in - Castrol Magnetec 0w-20 and a Fram orange can 3614 - I only have 1 more 5 qt jug of this from a clearance buy a few years ago…

Attachments

• E03A47D9-9C3B-4202-BF3E-2EA4E09A91D5.jpeg
    E03A47D9-9C3B-4202-BF3E-2EA4E09A91D5.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 20
Had to knock out 2 today.

Ranger gets 5k changes, have been using Havoline LifeLong 5W30, but that has been hard to get, and in the meantime I stocked up on the High Mileage instead, so

24,997 Miles - Ford Ranger
Out - Havoline LifeLong 5W30 and Motorcraft FL-910S Filter

In - Havoline High Mileage 5W30 and Bosch D3422 Filter

2003 Accord at 259,400 Miles

Out and In Havoline High Mileage 5W30 and Champion COS3593A Filter

2003 GMC Safari van, 4.3L V6
112,200 miles odometer
Out: 4.5 quarts Mobil 1 5w30, Napa gold filter, 1300 miles & 9 months on this interval
In: 2 quarts Mobil 1 5w30 plus 2.5 quarts Napa 5w30 synblend (needed to use up some leftover M1), Napa gold filter
Notes: this van sits a lot, driven ~1500 miles annually. Mostly it sees short trips under 3 miles once or twice every day, with an occasional 30-mile highway run every 3 weeks or so. The used oil looked fairly clear draining out, certainly not black. The old oil sat overnight in my plastic drain pan and when I poured it into a jug the next day, the pan had a bunch of small sludge spots stuck to the bottom, not too terrible but sludge is sludge. I just took over basic maintenance for this vehicle a couple years ago. It's now getting more regular service with better oils and better filters, so hopefully the sludge will slowly clean out. We will see.

2017 Corolla. Out: TGMO 0W-20 and OEM filter. In: TGMO 0W-20 and OEM filter. $58 at the dealer including a car wash and vacuum. 7800 miles on the old oil. My goal is 7500-8000 intervals, or about twice a year on average.

New post here.

I dont believe my engine or car is common here. 09 Proton Satria Neo clocking close to 93,780km (58,272mi)

Out -> Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (SP variant)

In -> M1 0w40 (pictured)

Its actually my first time trying M1 out. Prior to this, my engine only gets fed the Helix Ultra (no picture of it unfortunately). Mobil is apparently hard to come by where I'm from.

Driving styles, short-tripping, heavy stop and go traffic. Not a heavy footer, and not that I have a chance to anyway.

Attachments

• IMG-20220613-WA0047.jpeg
    IMG-20220613-WA0047.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 14
Back