Post your latest oil change

Wife's 2022 Hyundai accent (1011 miles):

Out: Factory fill

In: 4 quarts AcDelco 0w20
OEM oil filter (literally your only choice currently)

This is a strange cartridge style filter with a little extrusion on the bottom. That extrusion mates with a hole in the plastic cap that screws into the engine. It has 2 O-rings to seal where it passes through the cap. It also has a small hole at the end that a pin snaps through to lock it in place.

At first it seemed pretty complicated but it actually makes sense. You know the filter is fully seated since the pin wont go through if it isn't. The pin has a square head that is locked in place by 2 tabs. You get a new pin with every OEM filter. Easy to deal with overall.

The oil can be drained from the cartridge before removal . Starts at 53 seconds . '20 > '22 RIO and VENUE also have the cartridge .

IMG_3716.JPG
IMG_3717.JPG

Last edited:
2013 Ford Edge SEL 3.5L. 112,000

Out: 5w20 Kirkland signature series synthetic / Napa Gold oil filter

In: 5w20 Mobil 1 advanced / Wix oil filter

Neighbors Car:
2018 Nissan Rogue SV 2.5L 38,000

Out: 0w20 Castrol magnatec full synthetic / motorcraft oil filter.

In: 0w20 Mobil 1 advanced / tough guard oil filter

I still think Magnatec had more pizazz, the GTX Full Synthetic comes off cheaper and more generic sounding than Magnatec even though it's the same oil.
I know I used magnatec synthetic in my neighbor's Rogue that only had 35k on it I think. Previous to that the Nissan dealer was always using synthetic, which was probably Mobil or Mobil 1 but the magnatec made her engine a little noisy, for whatever reason, this next Oil change I used Mobil 1 and it was quiet again.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know I used magnatec synthetic in my neighbor's Rogue that only had 35k on it I think. Previous to that the Nissan dealer was always using synthetic, which was probably Mobil or Mobil 1 but the magnatec made her engine a little noisy, for whatever reason, this next Oil change I used Mobil 1 and it was quiet again.. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I meant from more of a marketing perspective, GTX Full Syn is just Magnatec in a new bottle, I thought Magnatec was a better name with better marketing behind it.

2014 Buick Verano T
5067 miles on oil
69267 total miles

Out: M1 5w30 High Mileage
In: M1 5w30 (new dexos1, gen3 formulation)
NO FILTER CHANGE

Short oil change interval to check on fuel dilution problem noted in last oil analysis. 33% left on OLM.
Also am interested in seeing effect of running ethanol fuel blends for last 1500 miles.
Oil sample taken.

Last edited:
The oil can be drained from the cartridge before removal . Starts at 53 seconds . '20 > '22 RIO and VENUE also have the cartridge .

View attachment 101264View attachment 101266

Very interesting feature, I'll have to try that out next time. Luckily it really wasn't too messy just loosening the canister.

It seems the pin is backwards on those pictures from the Rio though. It appeared to me that it should go in the opposite way, then the head is locked from rotating by the flats. It fits perfectly between them.

Very interesting feature, I'll have to try that out next time. Luckily it really wasn't too messy just loosening the canister.

It seems the pin is backwards on those pictures from the Rio though. It appeared to me that it should go in the opposite way, then the head is locked from rotating by the flats. It fits perfectly between them.

Pin looks to be in normal position . I think it's the angle I took the pics at . What's the gas mileage for '22 Accent and Mirage G4 ? Any issues ? There's a recall for the safety belt pretensioners of '19 > '22 Accents .

Last edited:
2020 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
~5k miles on the oil (I stick to ~5k OCIs, easier for me to remember.)
20027 total miles

Out: M1 0w20 (Dealer bulk)
Out: STP filter
In: M1 0w20 (Dealer bulk)
In: Mazda PE01-14-302A
I'm still on the prepaid oil changes, have 3 more until it's complete which I'm guessing will be sometime late next year.

I was amused that they tried to sell/recommend to me an "engine oil cleaning service" given my car only has 20K on the clock. 🤣

Always impressed by how quiet the SkyActiv-G becomes with fresh oil, not that it was loud by any means.

2002 GMC Sierra 1500
5.3 Vortec V8
Out: unknown oil, Microgard MGL51042 filter
In: Redline High Performance 10w40, AcDelco PF46E filter

1982 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
355 small block V8
Out: Schaeffers Micron Moly Racing SAE 30, Wix 51060 filter
In: Swepco 306 Supreme Formula 15w40, Wix 51060 filter

This morning:

Out:

Mobil1 EP HM 5W-30
Toyota TRD filter

In: some remnant oils

2 quarts Mobil1 0W-20 EP
1 quart Mobil1 EP HM 5W-30
2 quarts Mobil1 EP 5W-30
Toyota TRD filter

This is the last of my remnant oils, going forward I expect to use only M1 EP 5W-30

Looks like you got a great buy on that Quaker State. Some people on here have complained that they got a lot of oil usage with this oil. However that has never been my experience!
I scored that last year when the local WM cleared the QS HM. Unfortunately they only had one jug on the shelf!

Hopefully no oil usage in the Honda...

Back