Post your latest oil change

2011 Subaru Forester, 97,302mi.

Out: Mobil 1 0w30, Mazda N3R1-14-302 filter.
In: Same and same.

Notes:
- Mazda filter is the same Tokyo Roki filter used on Japan-built Subarus. Buying them from Mazda is the only way to get them in the USA.
- Car's owner's manual says 4.2 quarts, but the car actually takes 5.5 quarts. Owner's manual for 2012 model says 5.5 quarts. Hmm.

I know all of that....

:LOL:

Seriously I do.

And at the bottom of my post I certainly agree with you on the Warren Oil 5w30 HTHS... No doubt about it.

I was just pointing out that some 5w30s that are API are a bit more than 3.0 to 3.1.

Of course they don't meet up to ACEA specs for the reasons you listed. Whether it be HTHS of 3.5 or higher or the additive package not meeting API.

It is interesting that a few of the API oils are closer to the 3.5 HTHS than what we may first think.

Last edited:
My neighbor across the street drives a C-class. He's used API Mobil1 5w30 for 8 years with 10k mile intervals. No one can tell him otherwise.

Dare I ask the reason for significantly deviating from the minimum HTHS requirement for this engine?
I don't think I'd do that, MB specs that 40 grade because they require an HTHS viscosity above 3.5, and in an AMG tuned twin turbo engine, I think I'd stick with MB recommendation, failing that maybe a full synthetic 5w40 or 15w40 HDEO, not a a resource conserving ILSAC 5w30 oil.
@SugarMouth

I agree with your logic, and I think you will be fine. But I couldn’t do it myself, I would still run an A3/B4 40 grade since it is easy enough to get, and save up the ILSAC 30 grade for something else.

But I’m happy that you are game enough to give it a go. Hey, would you do a UOA for us? That will get the full value out of this oil change (for the community) and settle a lot of debate. But it’s up to you, I hesitate to ask another to spend money on my curiosity.

I doff my hat to you.
So with some persuasion of these guys above and some others I have dumped the 5-30 and filled with this. My intention was the near future light load highway miles but realized it might be 4-5 months before I even put 4k on the oil. Chances are I will find myself wanting to apply some throttle within that time frame. I had Castrol and M1 laying around so I dumped 9qts of Castrol 0-40 in. I did order a Blackstone kit as discussed with @SR5 but now will use to capture the Castrol and check for overall engine health.
IMG_7090.jpg

So with some persuasion of these guys above and some others I have dumped the 5-30 and filled with this. My intention was the near future light load highway miles but realized it might be 4-5 months before I even put 4k on the oil. Chances are I will find myself wanting to apply some throttle within that time frame. I had Castrol and M1 laying around so I dumped 9qts of Castrol 0-40 in. I did order a Blackstone kit as discussed with @SR5 but now will use to capture the Castrol and check for overall engine health.
View attachment 41036

You've used an excellent (and appropriate!) oil there. Solid choice.

View attachment 41036
Great choice...why reinvent the wheel.
(y)

So with some persuasion of these guys above and some others I have dumped the 5-30 and filled with this. My intention was the near future light load highway miles but realized it might be 4-5 months before I even put 4k on the oil. Chances are I will find myself wanting to apply some throttle within that time frame. I had Castrol and M1 laying around so I dumped 9qts of Castrol 0-40 in. I did order a Blackstone kit as discussed with @SR5 but now will use to capture the Castrol and check for overall engine
Good call, if you need to apply some throttle, a 0W40 A3/B4 oil is the safe way to go. This keeps more driving options open for you.

Thanks for ordering the oil analysis kit, I’m sure you will find a good use for it.

1986 Chevrolet G30 motorhome
GM Performance 290 HP 350 small block V8
Out: Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40, AcDelco PF1218 filter
In: Castrol Edge 0w40, AcDelco PF1218 filter

1995 Dodge Dakota
3.9 Magnum V6
Out: unknown, Fram Extra Guard PH16 filter
In: Carquest conventional 10w30, Carquest Blue R85085 filter

2020 Ford Ranger with 2.3L EB engine. 5,000 miles.
M1 EP 5w-30 with MC FL910S filter.

From what I'm reading these engines are very tough on oil and beat it down pretty quick. Next OCI I may go with a 0/5w-40.

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer
4.2 inline 6
Out: unknown, Purolator red L25288 filter
In: Napa synthetic blend 5w30, Napa Proselect 21522 filter

2011 Nissan Altima
2.5 4 cylinder
Out: unknown, Napa gold 1358 filter
In: Havoline High Mileage 5w30, Napa Gold 1358 filter

2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
6.6 Duramax V8
Out: unknown, AcDelco PF2232 filter
In: Shell Rotella T4 15w40, AcDelco PF2232 filter