Post your latest oil change

have you updated the valve cover to the new PCV? gm had a TSB out for it back in the day.
Yes, I have an updated cover on it. I put a new Dorman cover on mid-way through this last interval (that of which it did use about a quart). I'm interested in watching it during this OCI if it'll consume or not.

My Tahoe I have the latest GM cover on it and it consumes nothing at all beyond maybe 3/8" in a small catch can. No noticeable drop on the dipstick.

Also wonder if the Dorman cover sucks or if it's fine? Reviews online sounded like it curbed consumption for folks like the latest GM covers... the Dorman ones looked to have a similarly shaped PCV hole in the baffle.

2004 wrangler 4.0l v6

Out: valvoline high mileage 10w30 with fram filter
In: same
OCI 3200 miles
Miles on odometer: 105888
IMG_1111.jpeg

2020 Subaru Ascent 62,278 miles Moms Car
~Out
0w20 Valvoline max blend
STP oil filter
Work was done at a Valvoline quick lube. She brought the car by because she had oil in her driveway. Found the old drain plug to be stripped and leaking. Oil was at add line so not low. She had the oil changed about month ago.
--------
Subaru had a problem with that design of drain plugs. They updated the plugs to P/N 32195AA021. I believe the botched plug in the Ascent used a 14 mm hex socket. The upgraded plugs use a 17 mm socket. The new design is stronger and the socket is able to bottom out on the plug hex head. The thread dimensions are the same. Many folks have had issues with the type of plug in your picture.

This is not an excuse for the slimy work done at the oil change place, however.

Edit: This tool set is wonderful for taking off rounded plugs.

Last edited:
out: fa20 (99,000 miles) w/Valvoline synthetic performed by Valvoline

in: fa20 (21k-25k miles) unknown synthetic 0w20 performed by tech

looking forward to swapping to 5w30 like a true bitoger, also looking forward to swapping the microguard to a Purolator
20240209_110432~2.jpg

Last edited:
Wife's 2018 Durango 3.6L Pentastar with 116,283 miles.

OCI: 6145 miles

Out: 5w30 Quaker State FS
In: 5w30 Mobil 1

Left the Champ P1009XL synthetic cartridge filter in for another 6K, I get two OCI's out of these.

Changed the engine air filter (about 20k on it) and rotated the tires as well.

Last edited:
Subaru had a problem with that design of drain plugs. They updated the plugs to P/N 32195AA021. I believe the botched plug in the Ascent used a 14 mm hex socket. The upgraded plugs use a 17 mm socket. The new design is stronger and the socket is able to bottom out on the plug hex head. The thread dimensions are the same. Many folks have had issues with the type of plug in your picture.

This is not an excuse for the slimy work done at the oil change place, however.

Edit: This tool set is wonderful for taking off rounded plugs.
Yea I just went to the parts store got a replacement plug. It was 17mm. It looks like they used a hammer and screw driver to tighten it back up.

2007 Ford Explorer
4.0 V6
Out: Cam2 SuperPro Max 5w30, Schaeffer's Micron Moly EP, Motorcraft FL820S filter
In: Fram Conventional 10w30, Swepco 502 Oil Improver, Motorcraft FL820S filter

2021 Toyota Tundra
5.7 V8
Out: unknown oil, unknown cartridge filter
In: O'Reilly's Syntec 0w20, Microgard Select cartridge filter

Back