Post your latest FrankenBrew

I use the random qts and 1/2 qts for make up a long the way. So I guess I always have a frankenbrew. Or I pour them all in a 5 qt and use it up on whatever my oldest vehicle is.

Some 2018 era M1 10w30 I nabbed at Rural King other day for $17/5quart jug. Last two jugs. Mixed some 0w30 M1 AFE, some of the 2018 era M1 and some M1 0w40. May run it next summer or put in friends 2000 Ford Truck

Reactions: SR5
Ultimate plan is 229.5/A40 rated oil across the fleet (Love M1 0W-40, but recently QS Euro 5W40 is easier to get). But gotta use up the stash leftovers first.

1990 GMC Sierra SL1500, 4.3L/262c.i.
OUT: (2qts) Redline 50WT/(2qts) Idemitsu 0W20
IN: (2qts) Mobil 1 0W-30 API SL/ (2qts) Mobil 1 15W-50 API SN

2001 Tundra 4.7. 5 qt M1 5w30 + 2 qt M1 10w30. I love a good Frankenbrew!
I use the big filter (like a PH8) instead of the tiny Toyletta for a nice 7 qt fill.

2001 Tundra 4.7. 5 qt M1 5w30 + 2 qt M1 10w30. I love a good Frankenbrew!
I use the big filter (like a PH8) instead of the tiny Toyletta for a nice 7 qt fill.
I understand wanting the extra capacity (having many times used larger filters), yet I wonder about their filtering ability. I've seen larger filters cut open and compared to their smaller brethren discovered that the larger filter had less filtering material than the smaller one. Have you looked into the comparative filtering abilities of the two filters?

I understand wanting the extra capacity (having many times used larger filters), yet I wonder about their filtering ability. I've seen larger filters cut open and compared to their smaller brethren discovered that the larger filter had less filtering material than the smaller one. Have you looked into the comparative filtering abilities of the two filters?
I have not. I have generally used M1 301 filters on this engine. You probably know the Toyota 4.7 V8 is easy on oil, is a real smoothie and a super long runner. With 209K, I never check the oil, it drains clean. And sucks the gas.

Having said this, I'm sure the Toyota filter would be fine. I believe the Land Cruisers used the larger filter. All good.

2010 Toyota Avalon 3.5L
OUT: Too-much-to-list-leftover-frankenbrew. (Short "rinse" run, under 3k miles.)
IN: FRAM 0W-40 Full Synthetic (5qts) + CAM2 5W-30 Synthetic blend (
Am convinced that STP Extended Life Oil Filter S9972XL from AutoZone is exactly the same as FRAM Titanium FS9972 from Advance Auto. Same gaskets, shape, and literally everything. Except for printed brand name and packaging, obviously.

4 qt of Rotella Gas Truck 5w20
2.5 qt of CarQuest Synthetic High Mileage 0w20

my first oil change in the "new to me" 2008 Lexus ES350 w/ 59k miles, lets see if this brew can help clean things up, especially the VVT-i gears which seem to make a slight noise upon cold start up.

have the same 2GR-FE in the 14 Avalon which has 98k miles but zero start up or other noises.
If you want to clean things up, vacuum or drain 1 qt of your brew and add a quart of HPL’s 20wt Engine Cleaner oil… the oils you have are designed to keep things from getting worse, but not to actually clean. HPL is designed to remove deposits that aren’t supposed to be there. Big difference.

2010 Toyota Avalon 3.5L
OUT: Too-much-to-list-leftover-frankenbrew. (Short "rinse" run, under 3k miles.)
IN: FRAM 0W-40 Full Synthetic (5qts) + CAM2 5W-30 Synthetic blend (
Am convinced that STP Extended Life Oil Filter S9972XL from AutoZone is exactly the same as FRAM Titanium FS9972 from Advance Auto. Same gaskets, shape, and literally everything. Except for printed brand name and packaging, obviously.
I don‘t think they are the same, the actual filter media looks different. I have used the Fram Ultra for your engine, and it looks the same as the Fram Titanium (and is $5 bucks cheaper) and I’d buy it again, but from what I can tell, compared to the STP, the pleats look different, the actual filter media looks different and there’s a felt gasket on top of the plastic end caps (at least from the photos I’ve seen online of the STP filter). And I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, the STP does look very good and has a similar price to the Titanium.

Personally I’d give the Fram Ultra a try, it’s readily available at your local Walmart for around $10/$11 bucks and it looks very similar to the Titanium, IMO. I think it’s also rated for 20,000 mile intervals.

I don‘t think they are the same, the actual filter media looks different. I have used the Fram Ultra for your engine, and it looks the same as the Fram Titanium (and is $5 bucks cheaper) and I’d buy it again, but from what I can tell, compared to the STP, the pleats look different, the actual filter media looks different and there’s a felt gasket on top of the plastic end caps (at least from the photos I’ve seen online of the STP filter). And I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, the STP does look very good and has a similar price to the Titanium.

Personally I’d give the Fram Ultra a try, it’s readily available at your local Walmart for around $10/$11 bucks and it looks very similar to the Titanium, IMO. I think it’s also rated for 20,000 mile intervals.
The photos I've seen online look different from the filters I had in my hands. Maybe just got lucky with the batches, but these two were literally twins.

My latest oil change on my Taurus sho with the 3.5 ecoboost:

1/3 a quart of left over amsoil ss 0w20
One bottle of Liqui Moly Mos2
5 quarts of Valvoline EP 5w30
And a little bit of left over Mobil 1 15w50 from my lawn mower oil change to top it off to get the oil level to full on the dip stick.

I’ve been running on this brew for about 2k miles now, and the engine seems to run quieter than ever, so I’m happy with this brew.

Some EDGE 0w40 and some EDGE 0w20 for a friends 400k Honda Civic c VP 2003 model year. Runs like a tip too. He pulled the tough guard off and installed a ULTRA

Back