Post Your Latest CAF Change!

I replaced the CAF's in both of my Scions. I usually do both once a year.

XB2: about 15 mo. and about 11k miles. Out (likely Beck/Arnley) No longer buy Wix for this application because they no longer fit properly for this application.
In: Hengst charcoal

XD: about 15 mo., 6k miles.
Out: Wix
In: Hengst charcoal. First time for this brand. Seemed to be better quality. I scarcely looked at the box but thought I saw a reference to Mahle? Maybe not.

Despite the XD only doing about half of the mileage of the XB2, its filter was noticeably dirtier. It does get more back road use.

Tomorrow I'll swap the 2+ year-old CAF in the Camry for a nice, clean Denso filter which is sitting on the passenger seat just waiting to be installed.

I replaced the cabin filter from standard to active carbon filled at the same time as I changed the fan out (last month). The original fan brushes are completely gone, explains the non-running....

The new fan and filter combo is much quieter, not sure if it's the fan that's less powerful or the filter that's more restrictive. The fan is rated to 25W more than most common replacements, but you power ratings can show whatever you like, big change in 13.6V vs 14V for example.

I fully expect the active carbon filter to have less flow though. But it seems fine, the cabin temp can be controlled with the fan at half speed even on the hottest days, it seems. Which is now dead silent too, where before the HVAC was the noisiest part of the car (from day 1)

CabinAir.jpg

In Fram true air
Out Supertech CAB

On July 21 I replaced my 2yo CAF with a new Wix filter. I thought it was a Denso, but I was mistaken. Confused it with my Air Filter.

2017 Ram 3500 with 132,000km. Original CAF that I would vacuum out every year. Finally had enough fines in the media that flow was impeding. I found a motomaster brand filter and now all is well.

I had went to Cambodian Tire and this was the last basic filter they had. Everything else were those ones laced with activated charcoal.

Replaced CAF on daughter’s 2018 CRV. Last time I got a Honda filter from the dealer which did not fit so I vacuumed out the old one and put it back in. This time I replaced the old one with a Puroma carbon type from Amazon. It fit OK and air flow seems fine.

I do it 1X per year, and everytime I laugh wondering what happened all those years with cars that didn't have them, as my wife and son have allergies, and the filters look like they contain a nice snack for a squirrel.

The Japanese car I use USA aftermarket Denso filters, so so cheap, I want to say (many confuse Denso as OE, which it can be, but usually is not), it's a funny process because the owner's manual is like an encyclopedia and there is a shelf that holds it that must be removed to access the blower/filter.

The American car I use AC Delco OE, and they are expensive, over $22!!! Got like a $3.50 rebate but that's it. It's also funny as the glove box door flips backwards to get access.

The German car I don't bother as the usage is low, it might be 5+ years old. It's an easy change too, the filter is long and rectangular and to me the most effective--it's outside the firewall at the cowl under the wiper arms where air is introduced--has to have 6X the surface area of the other two cars....

Changed the both out today in the 2018 Tundra and the 2019 4Runner. Change them every year with whatever’s cheap on Amazon for a 2 pack as both vehicles take the same filter.

Tundra out:
Amazon special
In: Amazon special with charcoal

4Runner out:
Whatever dealer used to replace it during service when we bought it last year.
In: Amazon special with charcoal

2015 Chevy Silverado.
11 months on the filter
Out Ac Delco
In Microguard

Attachments

• IMG-2627.jpg
    IMG-2627.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-2626.jpg
    IMG-2626.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 17
Changed the AC filter in the 9 year old Journey a couple of days ago. Only driven a little over 3000 miles since bought in December. Filter looked like it hadn't been changed for at least a year or more. Found a Fram True Air for only $5 at the local Wal-Mart.

OUT: Unknown, clogged, dirty filter
IN: Fram True Air filter

2020 Ranger

Out: Ford OEM
In: 'Next Phase Filters' NP31412 from Amazon

They claim to be US made and indeed the box was stickered 'Made in the USA'. The filter itself looks identical to the OEM Ford piece, which is to say, fine. Didn't find anything special about the OEM one. No charcoal or any special features it didn't appear. The OEM one was plenty dirty, having lived through 3 pollen seasons down here.

I didn't know anything about them when I bought the filter except that they had it in stock when I needed one, for a decent price.

2008 Toyota Highlander
Same filter in and out unknown time.

Attachments

• 70492401365__F65FB2CA-B43D-4F66-B378-2BB06A612813.fullsizerender.jpeg
    70492401365__F65FB2CA-B43D-4F66-B378-2BB06A612813.fullsizerender.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5730.jpeg
    IMG_5730.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 6
Back