Post your latest 2 stroke mix

87 E10 Shell with Stabil Blue and Amsoil Sabre mixed 70:1. After years of non stabilized fuel and whatever 2 stroke oil was handy mixed at 50:1 I have to say everything now runs better it seems, could be "wishful expectations" though ;).

1 gallon of 91 octane E0 from the farm co-op mixed ~75:1 with Opti2 (calls for 100:1) to be used in my line trimmers and other modern 2 cycle stuff. I used this mix commercially in cutoff saws that saw super high hours for about a decade and had excellent results.

Legend ZX-2sr is the best 2-stroke oil I’ve used. It tested better than anything on the market, and I can get it for about $0.37 an ounce (buying a 5 gallon pail). I’ve heard if you call them direct, you can sometimes negotiate a better price. That kind of volume is fine for a landscape company, but probably not the best for a homeowner (unless you have a bunch of toys)! I like the fact that it’s pink, so when it mixes with the fuel, you can see any trash in a clear tank (vs. the traditional blue dyes commonly used). My landscape buddies love it. (I don’t sell the stuff FYI). 😂

Legend ZX-2sr is the best 2-stroke oil I’ve used. It tested better than anything on the market, and I can get it for about $0.37 an ounce (buying a 5 gallon pail). I’ve heard if you call them direct, you can sometimes negotiate a better price. That kind of volume is fine for a landscape company, but probably not the best for a homeowner (unless you have a bunch of toys)! I like the fact that it’s pink, so when it mixes with the fuel, you can see any trash in a clear tank (vs. the traditional blue dyes commonly used). My landscape buddies love it. (I don’t sell the stuff FYI). 😂
I can't believe this, I thought I was the only one using Legend ZX2-sr . I started using it over ten years ago and haven't used anything else since.

It would be nice if they listed some specs like the Flashpoint.

You guys are lucky to be able to source E0 gasoline. Hard to come by where I am at (MA, US), for the time being I have been paying a king's ransom for engineered fuel 1:50 ($5 per quart) until I figure out where to get E0, or how to make my own. I think if you are mixing your own, using a low ash 2T oil is important. I would also lean towards higher octane (92-93). Add sta-bil definitely. Esp. if it is gas station gasoline. It has ~30% aromatics, which
tend to produce sediment.

I am surprised that some of you deviate from the manufacturer's recommendation. Some equipment calls for 40:1, my echo chainsaw asks for 50:1. I thought there was an actual reason for that. No?
Are you guys saying it is OK/better to deviate and use a higher oil
content mix?

You guys are lucky to be able to source E0 gasoline. Hard to come by where I am at (MA, US), for the time being I have been paying a king's ransom for engineered fuel 1:50 ($5 per quart) until I figure out where to get E0, or how to make my own. I think if you are mixing your own, using a low ash 2T oil is important. I would also lean towards higher octane (92-93). Add sta-bil definitely. Esp. if it is gas station gasoline. It has ~30% aromatics, which

I am surprised that some of you deviate from the manufacturer's recommendation. Some equipment calls for 40:1, my echo chainsaw asks for 50:1. I thought there was an actual reason for that. No?
content mix?
See if you can find a local source for E-0 with this website:

Pure Gas

content mix?
I can't find any higher octane than 90 in e0. Doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle for as little as I run 2 stroke ope.

Curious to know what is this “Super S” oil?
Super S does make Motor Oil . But I used there 2 cycle Engineered Fuel in a quart can that comes pre-mixed at 40:1. I got it Menards. It's like Trufuel.

super s.jpg

Some of the pre-mixes are not only ethanol free, but also aromatic content free. (You have about 30% aromatics in gas station fuel, mostly responsible for gum formation). I am not entirely clear on the exact process of gasoline "going bad" and how the various fuel stabilizers counter this.

Some of the engineered fuels manage to exclude the aromatics, and maybe that is sufficient for the long shelf life alone they are able to claim.

Possibly, some fuel conserver additives achieve the same results by neutralizing these. so they are a rational option. I was thinking of removing the ethanol from high octane gas station fuel, and just adding sta-bil and high quality 2T oil additive to the result.
I am not sure if doing this will yield a good enough E0 fuel than can be left in the 2T equipment over the winter. or is it still; worth it to pay for (a known brand ) engineered fuel ? I know the Stihl excludes both Ethanol and aromatics. Are all engineered pre-mixes like that?

I am still confused by some of you advocating using a higher 2t oil level that the user manual calls for. If I have an OPE, which calls for 50:1
what is the basis of just using 40:1 instead? How is that OK?

OK this seems interesting:

So you guys say the 50:1 is strictly for political correctness, and all equipment that calls for that, will work fine with something like 1:40 or even 1:32? In fact, may be even better off for wear?
No problems with hard starting, poor running or any other ill effects?

The other day, I got a mix a little "to high oil content", and ended up tossing it. So I could have just used it?

Most 2 strokes aren’t fussy about oil ratio and you can often run more oil as long as you’re not plugging up the ports. Less of a concern with modern oils. I’ve run lots of 50:1 spec machines on 32:1 or even 24:1 when I use up some leftover dirtbike gas. More oil should theoretically mean more lubrication of the bottom end and better ring seal for more power at the expense of a bit more smoke and smell. 50:1 is probably good for almost all modern equipment with modern oils though.

Thanks, good to know. So with a good 2t oil, 40:1 should be "perfectly fine"
in a 50:1 spec. machine. Which also means that I do not need to measure the oil out with great precision, it is OK if I am a bit on the high side.

Back