Post your latest 2 stroke mix

I am no less confused as to why you wouldn’t just use all 2 stroke oil that is meant for the task but if it works for you who am I to judge.
imho..oil in a 2 stroke has one job...lubricate. Many want less smoke, maybe some detergent to keep things from sticking like rings. 2 stroke oil of today is formulated to do other jobs also other than lubricate. I could not care less about those other things. I want film strength for my piston skirts. The roller elements are not as fussy about the oil they see. Modern 2 stroke oil is short on film strength...add 50/1 (boardroom decision for many reasons) then add an overheat or lean condition and ya have a stuck piston. Especially with 2 strokes with the piston thrust on the exhaust side where things are dry and hot.

I jet on the back side of the curve and run one step hotter plug on my performance 2 strokes. The way it should be...its not a clean running 4 stroke nor should it be like one.

There is talk of being able to hear the running difference in sound just between brands of oil. Well I'm here to tell ya all the difference in running sound between a standard 50/1 mix with neutered modern oil and my mix at 32/1 is noticeable even by my wife who is partly deaf.

50/1 is a sales gimmick and not really a good mix for loss prevention.

Mixed up the last of my Pennzoil air cooled multi purpose two stroke oil and 91 octane at 50:1 for the trimmer, leaf blower and chainsaw. Bought like 4 quarts of that when my local Kmart closed a few years back. Gonna need to switch brands now I guess.

Modern 2 stroke oil is short on film strength...add 50/1 (boardroom decision for many reasons)

50/1 is a sales gimmick and not really a good mix for loss prevention.
Absolutely false x2;

- API and JASO certified 2 stroke oil are tested for lubricity and are not short on film strength for your applications,
- 50:1 testing is proven to be enough to protect your small equipments. Your engines simply do not spin fast enough to require more oil.

Your home brew is really good at three things; create smoke, build up carbon deposit and reduce the life of your equipments.

50/1 is adequate in perfect conditions to make it past warrantee period.

50 years owning so many 2 strokes have never run into carbon or reduced equipment life...smoke just lets me know things are correct.

Lastly companies are there to make investors money...as long as the public doesn't know any better all is well.

I learned a lesson when in the first week of getting my 4 year mechanical when the prof said if a product lasts too long its a product failure...that products are to make investors money at the expense of the buying public.....I love my 1950's GE fan...a product failure...

Most two cycle oils are now formulated to run at a 50:1 ratio and give all the lubrication a two cycle engine needs. Around fifty years ago SAE 30 oil was the recommended oil for many two cycle engines at a 32:1 ratio. The early two cycle oils were not much better than the SAE 30, and by that I mean they smoked and left hard carbon deposits that seized rings and scored pistons and cylinders. Around this time many competing oil companies sought to improve the qualities of two cycle oil resulting in the excellent oils now available. Today, you can buy near smokeless two-cycle oil that leaves less and softer carbon deposits that do not damage engine parts or foul spark plugs.

Do you see more or less smoke from one equipment to another, showing that gas tuning does impact smoke production over oil ratio?
My Lawn-Boys will smoke just a little bit on start up, then they run clean the rest of the time. I have the carbs tuned on everything to run their best with that mix ratio. Last year I mixed a gallon of 32:1 for my mowers, and when hosing it off after mowing, I noticed oil slobber drips from the muffler. With the Red Armor and Saber at 40:1, no drips or smoking. I know it’s still being lined well. When I cleaned the carb on my Lawn-Boy Bricktop, the internals had a nice film of oil over everything.

L8R,
Matt

I buy a 12 pack of 100ML Husky XP+ and mix 3.5L of dyed marine premium 93 each. I rinse the bottles with gasoline, let them dry and re-fill
with Shell Advance Synthetic. Those rev-boosted Husqvarna chain saws run at a very high rpm, and in my opinion like 35:1

I use Red Armour and 89 100% gas. Usually ends up with 1 bottle in ~2 gallons of fuel. I bottle is labeled for 2.5 gallons so I am slightly higher (lower?) than 50:1. I also have some stihl oil I purchased because you get an extra warranty when you buy it at the same time as new equipment.
I'll use that if I run out of the RA. I guess I am happy with this, never noticed any problems. My Echo chainsaws run great, my 4mix stihl I am less happy with, my Shindaiwa backpack is a monster and its happy as well.

I fired up the same mix as last year. In 5L batches, just regular pump fuel, Motomaster conventional snowmobile injector oil with a splash of stabilizer.

The chainsaw and old string trimmer love it.

The first clip is my Husqvarna 128LD trimmer running the last of the Amsoil Saber mixed at 40:1. Barely a hint of exhaust smoke, and it runs great. I also use the edger, pole saw, and mini tiller attachments with it. The second clip is my 1987 LawnBoy 5254 with the F Series engine. This was taken about half way through my mowing today, which takes approximately an hour and a half. It will smoke on startup for maybe 5 seconds then run clean. I have the tank filled with Echo Red Armor mixed at 40:1. I always use 90 octane ethanol free rec fuel. $6/gallon right now.

L8R,
Matt

Tiny spot of Pennzoil TC-3 in the bottle cap with 40 parts 89 octane, straight into the plug holes trying to wake up a piston-port 550 Kawasaki jet ski.
Battery too tired to fire. It'll be Maxima 927 @ 40:1 when I get a fresh battery & hit the water.
Coastal brand TC-3 was a decent cheap lube, from Warren. But no more.
What happened to Coastal TCW3? I haven't been to Coastal in a while, did they discontinue it?

2.6 oz. container of Echo synthetic 2 stroke oil to .8 gallons of gasoline and 1/4 oz of Sta-Bil red fuel stabilizer. Used in my 15+ year old Echo SRM260 trimmer and my 1970 Homelite XL101 62cc saw (same as a Super XL but a lighter, more compact chassis, very strong machine) with an 18" bar. Also used in customer machines. The 40:1 ratio is safe for everything including the 50:1 mix machines.

40:1 use it in every 2stroke I own don't matter what mfg reccomends it gets the same.
20220617_140129.jpg

Back