Post your favorite greases for a brake job

I use a few.

1) Sil-Glyde on pins and boots for the pins
2) Permatex purple on the pad ears (less is better)
3) Molykote M77 under SS clips painted on with an artist's brush
4) red Muscle grease on the hub

The grade on pad ears could be debated. You want the pad ears to move easily along the SS clips but don't want the grease to attract road dirt. Catch-22. May depend upon if in the rust belt or not, or if driven a lot on dirt or gravel roads.

I lube the pad ears and clips. I also inspect, clean and lube the brakes periodically so dirt buildup is not an issue.
Pretty easy to flip up caliper sor the service.

Permatex 'Orange' Silicone Ceramic Extreme Grease on everything.
Anti-Seize for the occasional rotor to hub facing but with newer coated rotors that maybe going away.

From all the posts I read on the Subject ....... it looks like a majority are happy with Sil Glyde . As far as attracting dirt .......... not an issue . I'm not looking to get 300k miles on a set of brake pads .

Raybestos DBL-2T on everything. Attracting dirt isn't an issue here, but keeping rust slowed down is, particularly under the pad ear, slide rail clips.

However I often don't put grease on the back of pads if they have an anti-vibration shim built on.

I am not sure Sil-Glyde is the best for under the SS clips. A mechanic says they use anti-seize. I use the Molykote M77 as previously mentioned.

I think a lot of the products I use came from South Main Auto.

Lubriplate for backing plates for drum brakes; silicone brake lube for everything else. If rebuilding the calipers or cylinders and they're going to sit unused for a while, I'll re-assemble using brake assembly lube.

G68N1fO.jpg

Toyota Rubber Grease or Dow 111 for slide pins, Molykote AS880N/M77 or Permatex Ceramic/moly silicone for the pad backs and shims.

Back