Post Covid-World work life; changes for you, or back to the same?

First, Covid is certainly not over. It's still spreading all over, it's just not nearly as strong as it was before. And the numbers I'm sure aren't nearly accurate because people are either not testing, or they're testing at home and the results aren't put into the numbers.

Anyways, work life is about the same as it was before. The office is just about 1/2-2/3 full as people can work from home or in the office. Management would like to see people in the office 3 days a week or so. I go in everyday, as working from home is too boring for me.

I lost one of my patients due to Covid-complicated pneumonia recently at work so Covid is still around and taking toll on those unsuspecting. Working in healthcare field, life went on as usual for my wife and I. No opportunity to work remotely and we had to be at work hands on. When the Covid vaccines were first available, spending hours injecting daily for several weeks wears on you physically and mentally on top of your normal duties. Things are much better now, but I can't wait to retire in a decade.

Fewer office visits, less IRL interaction with coworkers, less travel, better pay, more overtime, left to my own devises, what's not to like? Looking forward to the next dystopian nightmare scenario.

My company shut the office in 2019 before any mandates and made everyone work from home. They opened the office back up but so many people lived wfh and we got more work done. I'm still wfh and go into the office about 6 times a year. Work has gotten really busy.

A doctor wanted to try one of our experimental drugs on covid patients so I got involved in supplying the drug to him. Unfortunately, that didn't work out.

Have about 18 months to retirement.

I started fixing neighbors and friends cars December of 2019. It sure beats working at McDonald's, and I've slowly gained business as more people heard that the dumkid down the street does a good job for less than the other mechanics.

Gonna do motor mounts on a Honda Odyssey tomorrow.

I retired during the height of COVID........not because of the pandemic, but because of the political climate involving the death of a subject in custody. That being said, I didn't have the option to "not" work during the pandemic and went in every day till my retirement. Most people in the private industry I knew were working (?) from home and they have all since returned to going into their place of employment. Some of them complaining that they should still be able to work (?) from home :)
So, to answer your question, yes, my work commute has changed a lot.

(IBTL)

Same here without the retirement part. Was the same before during and after.

My facility didn't suffer any deaths or even needed trips to the hospital for any of our 'guests'. We avoided pretty much all of the worst save for it going around through the employees several times.

I’ll just reflect on the effect on the Canadian oil patch showing the number of drilling rigs operating. The real damage occurred in 2015, but the troubles of 2020 and 2021 was the the final straw for a lot of companies. The patch only employs about 2/3 the number that were working in 2014.

B3A45204-07F2-44ED-9165-E4429504A685.jpeg

COVID was hell for me eployment wise. Being the everything IT/IT Manager/IT Director/CIO/"what hat do you want me to wear today" for a local healthcare organization.

We had a very aggressive implementation plan for many new technologies, COVID not being the driving factor, but just things we had to get done that we had always wanted to do. COVID hit, we went home (sometimes), but still had to be in the office a lot to do on-site tasks.

Company furloughed a lot of staff and put their staff under me, I became Help Desk manager with no pay increase, but at the time was willing as I was under the guise of "at least I have job and the company is paying me". I had never wanted to be Help Desk manager, I was an infrastructure manager. Then the company "retired" the Director. Then a new Director was put in charge. Had about 3-4x worth of staff turnover. Then in 2021 the majority of the staff left, and the only other senior member on the team was furloughed because they didn't meet the healthcare mandate. Was essentially a team of one with a non-technical director running an entire healthcare organization. Whilst losing my grandfather and my mother being diagnosed with cancer.

2021 was a terrible year, and I know I wasn't a perfect IT Manager, I struggled a lot, and was not supported whatsoever. No one helped me or checked in on me. I ended 2021 with the company not happy how the performance of the department was and executive leadership brining in their own previous IT people from other jobs. This new staff started in the beginning of 2022 as my alleged peer/equal.

Then in 2022, my immediate director left... we didn't always see eye-to-eye but we had an understanding being through a lot of the "weeds" together. Any rate, executive leadership choose to make this new "peer/equal" manager the new director. They told this newer staff member that they offered me the posistion but I declined it... I was never offered the role. I was only told by the senior management that this would be my new boss and it'd be a "wonderful learning opportunity as a mentor". Come to find out later on, this new "peer/equal" never knew I wasn't offered the role.

I started to realize how much I had given, especially during COVID (x10... staying up till 1am figuring out Microsoft Intune, telehealth, SCCM/Endpoint Manager), and how much my health, personal life, sanity and what not was suffering. If any of this seems murky, I am leaving a lot out and making it vague, but it was a terrible combination of being taken advantage of, gaslighting, lying, no compassion and nepotism.

I have been unemployed since August and it is a tough market. I had to get out. I was beyond miserable and needed my sanity. I have a lead that I'm hoping goes somewhere within the next couple weeks to get back working and bringing some $$$ back in.
I hear you on this. I lost my job in October. It’s been a painful 2 months with no income and little to do in life. I’ve had 10 interviews but no offers. When I get a job, it will be a serious hallelujah moment.

I hear you on this. I lost my job in October. It’s been a painful 2 months with no income and little to do in life. I’ve had 10 interviews but no offers. When I get a job, it will be a serious hallelujah moment.
I wish you the best and hope you find something soon. And something that aligns well with your intended/expected pay and fulfills you career wise.

As of late, this one I’m hoping for should be a bump which is nice. But many that I’ve been applying to… have been a big decrease. But I'm even turned down for them. Im like… you’re getting a bargain…. No interview just a “declined by employer”. I’ve gotten the impression that employers don’t want overqualified?!?!

Well, I’ve been burned with two failed companies so far since covid.

Last job was great, and loved who I worked with. But, when customers stopped paying their bills, it was a matter of time for me. Been a few months, searching a storm. Holidays are never easy to find something.

Some interviews, just no offers yet. Been very busy applying, even hit a job fair. Hope something happens.

I’m worried way more layoffs are coming. A local mortgage company is about to lay off 40% of their workforce…..

First, Covid is certainly not over. It's still spreading all over, it's just not nearly as strong as it was before.
I took the OP's question more about work life now that the COVID public health emergency has ended. I believe the government ended it this past May or June. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, we will probably always be dealing with COVID going forward.

I took the OP's question more about work life now that the COVID public health emergency has ended. I believe the government ended it this past May or June. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, we will probably always be dealing with COVID going forward.
I did too, however I mentioned it's still going strong because I have a couple coworkers sick with it right now and it is a disruption to the workforce.

Worker shortages everywhere due to deaths and many exiting the workforce early. This has just led to more work with pay that hasn’t kept up with inflation the past few years. Wife left her full time nurse job 8 months ago completely burnt out. Brought home covid with her a couple times. She lost a coworker who got it early on when it all started. Childcare costs meant it wasn’t worth her working full time for the pay she got plus the workplace conditions. Still does it on a part time basis now when family members can provide daycare. If there’s another pandemic she said she’s done for good.

Lack of real leadership in any company I’ve worked for - seems to be a epidemic plaguing most companies these days. In an automotive sense nothing has changed for me other than trying to keep my car alive to avoid crazy prices on vehicles/repairs.

I think just like after 9/11 Covid changed people and our country. Some for the better, some for worse.

Last edited:
Lack of real leadership in any company I’ve worked for - seems to be a epidemic plaguing most companies these days.
I have to wonder, in these leadership roles, how many view their job as just temporary, do good enough as a stepping stone to the next job? Make things look good enough, then jump when most advantageous (when they have something good for the resume—or right before something bad is going to happen). Or perhaps their loyalties lie with shareholders rather than aspect of the company.

To be fair, I suspect most people outside of leadership are the same way. This is only temporary, so, good enough is more than enough.

Retired just before the Covid Pandemic, got all my shots and still caught the bug, thankfully it was a mild case. ;)

Healthcare has changed. Many left the field and did not come back. The healthcare travel market took off, and while it has cooled a bit, is still a thing. Many are doing travel jobs vs working in a hospital. Many hospitals struggle to maintain core staffing.
My wife vantage point is people in healthcare simply care less about people. It shakes her as she has been an empathetic health care worker (hospital PT) who got short end of stick during Covid with little PPE and was in ground zero taking care of folks.

Her commute never stopped but easier during Covid as she could go 85 MPH no traffic and cops if she got pulled over her hospital badge was almost a salute to her from cops/staties telling her to have a nice days

Last edited:
Back