Possibly converting to LPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting tired of high gas prices and $20 worth of fuel giving me only 1/2 tank more in a 16 gallon tank. I hear both good and bad things about LPG. The good things I hear are long engine life, clean emissions and just less wear and tear on the motor and keeping the oil cleaner, longer.

Some bad things I have heard are the smell like rotten eggs which I'm ok with, less responsive due to the lesser BTU's in propane than of gasoline and range.

I'm not too highly concerned with range since it seems LPG is available most places that do sell LPG.

Some conversion kits don't cost much. I was doing some research on LPG last night and found some kits to range $150-$200. I also like the conversion kit doesn't seem all that hard to do, at least with my skill level anyway.

However, I am also unsure if I should do this because in a couple years or so, I do plan on doing a 5.0L V8swap into my truck so the propane for it's longevity would be useless to me. I have seen and heard you can swap propane kits from your old ride to your new vehicle. What gets me is the little things such as needing more hose, the right fittings etc...

While I am unsure of my decision I do want to ask for those who have converted to LPG or have an LPG vehicle from the factory, do you like the way your vehicle performs? How is performance? Has your vehicle been low maintence for you? etc... Thank you,,,,,AR

AR,
I've owned a dual fuel vehicle before, and I loved LPG.

I've considered converting the 4Runner, but it's not worthwhile given my mileage.

Consider the conversion costs, your useage, and what you intend with the vehicle.

My 4Runner dropped $4k in a few months.

I decided to "invest" the $4k in fuel. LPG had no payback on the second car.

There's another advantage you may be forgetting IF you can adjust the timing on your vehicle. LPG is about 100 octane, so if you can mod the vehicle to take advantage of this, you're even farther ahead.

Dave

First the gas mileage will drop about 10 % You will need a gas tank it will cost more than 150.00. I think you will be looking at over 2,000 dollars to convert. lpg has problems you won't see with gasoline. How do I know these things ? I worked on forklifts for 23 years and most of them were lpg. I don't think that you will be able to justify the $$$ spent on a conversion. lpg prices go up with the price of gasoline . Impco systems are the best in general. Natural gas would be better but I don't know about availability to refill on the road with ease.

Going to ad LP injection on my Duramax diesel. Picked up a 35 gallon LP tank for $150, and the injection equipment will be another $400. Pays for itself in lower per mile costs IF, you can find LP for about 2/3 the cost of diesel.

I have had dual fuel cars for about 20 years and now drive a dedicated LPG Ford which is absolutely great especially since its about a 1/3 of the price of unleaded in Australia atm. My six cylinder 4.0l Ford is 143kw with LPG

Thanks guys, I'm taking an alternative fuels course next session maybe. There I hope I can find more out.

offtopic.gif
My school also just bought an '05 Toyota Prius Hybrid. I'm not sure if it is Hydrogen or Electric. It's one of those 2. I know what the cars look like but I've never seen a hybrid in person. I'll have to check it out on Monday. Thanks,,,,,,AR

If you want alternative fuel, pick yourself up an old Mercedes Benz or Volkswagen diesel and convert it to run on waste vegetable oil.

That $150-200 kit price sounds awfully low. Whats included?
Few other questions for you.
What vehicle are you looking to convert? Is it currently carb'd or fuel injected?
Do you want to go to a dedicated lpg system or dual fuel?
Have you priced tanks yet? (get ready for your wakup call)
Check out http://www.sleegers.on.ca/us_price_list.htm

They also have a tank application guide (based on sales they have done and have feedback on, it is not complete).

Alex.

quote:

Originally posted by GMGuy:
That $150-200 kit price sounds awfully low. Whats included?
Few other questions for you.
What vehicle are you looking to convert? Is it currently carb'd or fuel injected?
Do you want to go to a dedicated lpg system or dual fuel?
Have you priced tanks yet? (get ready for your wakup call)
Check out http://www.sleegers.on.ca/us_price_list.htm

They also have a tank application guide (based on sales they have done and have feedback on, it is not complete).

Alex.

GMGuy, I'm looking to convert my truck, 98 Ranger. Currently has a 16 gallon tank and it is fuel injected. If possible I would like to go dedicated lpg. I plan on doing the work myself so labor and having someone else do it is not really a concern to me. I don't plan on doing this anytime soon, for now it is just an idea.

Yea I've looked at some propane tanks and wow! propane tanks if properly maintained can last a long time so maybe I can find one used and mount it widthwise in the bed of my truck. Thanks,,AR

In the late '70s my neighbor ran a flatbed truck on propane, he would have three or four 100# tanks strapped upright on the flat bed, secured to the "backstop" behind the cab.

Guy at work has an HQ Kingswood fitted with a BBC on propane.

It's cheaper to run than his mid 80s 4 cyl at current prices (propane 71c/l, regular $1.60).

Originally Posted By: denver1
I have had dual fuel cars for about 20 years and now drive a dedicated LPG Ford which is absolutely great especially since its about a 1/3 of the price of unleaded in Australia atm. My six cylinder 4.0l Ford is 143kw with LPG

Is 143kw on the wheel or crank? My Territory generate max 104kw on the wheel after conversion. From my dyno chart, it seem like Ford auto-transmission lost account for 42% of power.

Red is LPG while Blue is petrol.

dyno02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back