Possible Oil Emergency please help ASAP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Nissan Xterra 2008 with the VQ40 engine, I normally run 5w30 oil in the car as per the owners manual, well today I changed the oil and after I did, I realized that somehow I accidently put 5w20 weight oil in the engine. I am using Penzoil Platinum sythetic and the car has 14,000 miles on the engine. I do alot of city driving and alot of highway.

DO I need to drain the oil ASAP and put 5w30 in it?

BTW I have to leave and go do some work in about 30 minutes or so.

Last edited:
No need to change out the perfectly good 5W20 in your engine now. I'm running M1 0W20 in my '00 MB E430 which required M1 0W40, the engine is running much quieter with thinner oil, last year it had PP 5W20 and the engine was very happy with it.

You'll be fine. Most people agree that the difference between 5w20 and 5w30 is minimal. As a rule of thumb, my thumb anyways... you can typically go up or down one weight in oil and still be 100% okay.

I would leave in it. However, my OCD to follow the owner's manual on everything would eventually get the better of me and I would end up changing it early. If your truly worried about it, either change it or add a bottle of Oil Honey or STP engine treatment, or some other additive that typically thickens the oil a bit.

Don't worry and go to work.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
No need to change out the perfectly good 5W20 in your engine now. I'm running M1 0W20 in my '00 MB E430 which required M1 0W40, the engine is running much quieter with thinner oil, last year it had PP 5W20 and the engine was very happy with it.

How does 0w-20 working in your Mercedes have anything to do with the VQ40?

How is the engine "very happy with it"?

So quieter means it's not wearing?

Well the enigine sounds quieter with the oil. I guess I should count on the advanced lubrication qualitys of the PP versus dino oil to negate the effects, or something like that =)

Any other thoughts on this?

Originally Posted By: protomind
I have a Nissan Xterra 2008 with the VQ40 engine, I normally run 5w30 oil in the car as per the owners manual, well today I changed the oil and after I did, I realized that somehow I accidently put 5w20 weight oil in the engine. I am using Penzoil Platinum sythetic and the car has 14,000 miles on the engine. I do alot of city driving and alot of highway.

DO I need to drain the oil ASAP and put 5w30 in it?

BTW I have to leave and go do some work in about 30 minutes or so.

I wouldn't worry about doing it ASAP but I would swap it out eventually. I know some of the Nissan engines do better on 30wts, not sure if yours is one of those.

Before all this furor about xw-20 oils erupted almost nine years ago, I would have been surprised if anyone had a problem. My first "training" on car things was in an 8th grade shop class, during the "automotive" section of the class (heck, at that point, none of us could even drive...). Our teacher was a guy named Mr. Fossil (actually, it was "Faucy", but this guy had fought in WW-II and we were up to the 70s then...). I recall first hearing from him that you could always go one grade up or down, with no problem. And I've heard the same from many other sources since. But as soon as a couple car companies start specing 20 wt where they used to call for 30, we have a major, nefarious conspiracy on our hands! I would normally suggest using what the mfr calls for, particularly during wty. But in this instance, I'd just keep an eye out for odd sounds or other behavior, and absent any of that, be happy and don't worry about it. You might even try carefully logging your mpgs on each fillup, and then doing the same on the next fill of 30 wt to see if you can measure a difference. Hey, don't let an opportunity to do some science slip by!
cheers3.gif

p.s. in the end, it's your vehicle, you should do what makes you comfortable -- even if that means flushing away this fresh oil. Your car, your call.

Keep em coming, I like the feedback. I feel better about going to work now. Maybe I will log my mileage.

Something important I forgot to add, I plan on driving round trip to michigan and back next week, that is about 600 miles each way. Then about a week or two later going to NC and back, another 600ish each way. How does this effect things?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
But in this instance, I'd just keep an eye out for odd sounds or other behavior, and absent any of that, be happy and don't worry about it.

What odd sounds? By the time it starts making sounds other than lifter tick, it's too late. If this were the other way around and the guy had put a 30wt into a 20wt spec'd car, the world would be coming to an end.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
But in this instance, I'd just keep an eye out for odd sounds or other behavior, and absent any of that, be happy and don't worry about it.

What odd sounds? By the time it starts making sounds other than lifter tick, it's too late. If this were the other way around and the guy had put a 30wt into a 20wt spec'd car, the world would be coming to an end.

LOL!

Keep em coming, I like the feedback. I feel better about going to work now. Maybe I will log my mileage.

Something important I forgot to add, I plan on driving round trip to michigan and back next week, that is about 600 miles each way. Then about a week or two later going to NC and back, another 600ish each way. How does this effect things?

All it means is you'll be reaching normal operating temps.
I'd still leave in the quality 20 wt. It's to bad you don't have an oil temp gauge, but if you sense the oil may be getting hot simply avoid using WOT and you'll be fine.

I've got 30wt in a 20wt spec'ed car. I think the world is better off.
thumbsup2.gif

. . .

Surprise, surprise, I disagree!
wink.gif
As you may recall, I owned an 04 G35 which of course had an earlier version of this engine, the VQ35DE. The oil recs for that engine were 5w-30, 10w-30, or 10w-40. Although I experimented around some early on, I mostly used the 12 cSt GC in this engine. Of all the cars I've owned, this one's engine sent the most signals concerning oil variables. To my ear, it was noticeably harsher sounding on thinner oils, and smoother with heavier ones. Mine also exhibited timing chain rattle on startup. The various TSBs claim that TCR only happens in certain VQs, mine was not in the nominal window for it, but even the dealer agreed that it had TCR. But very strangely, only on thin 30s. I say strangely because TCR is supposedly caused when full oil pressure does not reach the timing chain tensioner (timing chains vs belts is not all good...) quickly enough. You'd think the thin oils would "get there" faster, but something else must be happening.

One of the obvious problems here is that this sort of "analysis" relies invariably upon a very, very subjective element -- how the engine sounds to the owner (yes, I know that everyone out there who has worked in a dealer service shop is cringing). For me, anyway, the VQ is an engine that really does talk to you, and really will tell you different things when fed different oils.

Now, without doubt, the VQ40 truck engine is tuned very differently than the VQ35 used in various sports sedans. I would just encourage the OP to listen carefully and see if he can discern any sound differences with the thin oils, and if so, react as he sees fit.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Ekpolk " Mr. Fossil.....you could always go one grade up or down, with no problem"

Well we know you've tried 30 wt GC; when can we expect the 0W-10 experiment?

Very shortly after the case of SM approved 0w-10 that you send me arrives upon my doorstep! I will, of course, be a sport, and provide the filter myself.
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Ekpolk " Mr. Fossil.....you could always go one grade up or down, with no problem"

Well we know you've tried 30 wt GC; when can we expect the 0W-10 experiment?

Very shortly after the case of SM approved 0w-10 that you send me arrives upon my doorstep! I will, of course, be a sport, and provide the filter myself.
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Touche

All it means is you'll be reaching normal operating temps.
I'd still leave in the quality 20 wt. It's to bad you don't have an oil temp gauge, but if you sense the oil may be getting hot simply avoid using WOT and you'll be fine.

Why would you want an oil that you may have to "drive around". Having to limit wide open use is not my idea of a good oil.

. . .

Surprise, surprise, I disagree!
wink.gif
As you may recall, I owned an 04 G35 which of course had an earlier version of this engine, the VQ35DE. The oil recs for that engine were 5w-30, 10w-30, or 10w-40. Although I experimented around some early on, I mostly used the 12 cSt GC in this engine. Of all the cars I've owned, this one's engine sent the most signals concerning oil variables. To my ear, it was noticeably harsher sounding on thinner oils, and smoother with heavier ones. Mine also exhibited timing chain rattle on startup. The various TSBs claim that TCR only happens in certain VQs, mine was not in the nominal window for it, but even the dealer agreed that it had TCR. But very strangely, only on thin 30s. I say strangely because TCR is supposedly caused when full oil pressure does not reach the timing chain tensioner (timing chains vs belts is not all good...) quickly enough. You'd think the thin oils would "get there" faster, but something else must be happening.

One of the obvious problems here is that this sort of "analysis" relies invariably upon a very, very subjective element -- how the engine sounds to the owner (yes, I know that everyone out there who has worked in a dealer service shop is cringing). For me, anyway, the VQ is an engine that really does talk to you, and really will tell you different things when fed different oils.

Now, without doubt, the VQ40 truck engine is tuned very differently than the VQ35 used in various sports sedans. I would just encourage the OP to listen carefully and see if he can discern any sound differences with the thin oils, and if so, react as he sees fit.

And I thought you were going to agree. Then the world really would be coming to an end lol.

This is more in response to your previous post but to your statement that it's generally accepted to move up or down one viscosity.

I agree in most situations. However, some 20wts put you dangerously close to the accepted minimum HTHS values for acceptable wear. Going from a 40wt to a 30wt does not. If the engine recommended 20wt from the factory, it's likely it doesn't require as high of HTHS.

Your xterra will be fine . I ran 5w20 for a couple of OCIs in a 2006 4.0 liter toyotza engine (1grfe that specced 5w30). Not a difference at all. Energy conserving oil is energy conserving oil. Enjoy the goodness of your current fill and basse if you repeat on YOUR experince.

Enjoy your trip.

There are likely quickie lubes and auto repair shops that just have one grade of bulk oil that they use for everything.

In the spirit of making a buck, all the rules have been broken at least once.

You don't need to worry about it.

But if you do worry about it, change it immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back