Possible Oil Emergency please help ASAP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know of people who`ve spun bearings tracking their TT Z32`s using M1 10W30. That along would make me stay away from a thin oil if you like to drive your car hard.

In my 3000GT`s owner`s manual,it says to use 10W30 for fuel economy only,then recommends 20W40,50 if your racing or driving extended high speeds. Guess it just depends on the car and they way it`s made to be used.

Last edited:
I wouldn't blast around town bouncing it off the rev limiter. Otherwise, I suspect the car won't much notice. Have to agree that feeling the need (real or imagined) to "drive around" the oil would make me a little uneasy. Limiting the car to 3/4 throttle (or whatever) when merging onto the freeway doesn't sound fun. Do I wreck the engine or risk being run over by the truck that's closing at 30MPH?

Personally, I'd buy a bottle of the thickest PP I could find, (I've seen 15w-50 around here at a few stores), go home, drain a qt, and add the syrup. The resultant Frankenmix should wind up close to 30 weight land. Mo thickah, mo bettah!
grin2.gif

Take care to clean the area around the drain plug before removing it, so the you don't get dirt in the near-new oil your draining. Save the near new 5w-20 oil for future use!

Not LOL at you, but LOL at "Oil Emergency!"
Only on BITOG!
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I know of people who`ve spun bearings tracking their TT Z32`s using M1 10W30. That along would make me stay away from a thin oil if you like to drive your car hard.

That's a Mobil1 issue, not a thin oil issue.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

How do you figure?

Quite possibly.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Quite possibly.

Agree

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: protomind
Keep em coming, I like the feedback. I feel better about going to work now. Maybe I will log my mileage.

Something important I forgot to add, I plan on driving round trip to michigan and back next week, that is about 600 miles each way. Then about a week or two later going to NC and back, another 600ish each way. How does this effect things?

All it means is you'll be reaching normal operating temps.
I'd still leave in the quality 20 wt. It's to bad you don't have an oil temp gauge, but if you sense the oil may be getting hot simply avoid using WOT and you'll be fine.

Why would you want an oil that you may have to "drive around". Having to limit wide open use is not my idea of a good oil.

You are missing the point:

1, The PP 5W-20 wasn't the chosen fill.
2, The OP wanted to know if he could live with the lighter fill.
3, Without an oil temp gauge he has no idea if it happens to
be better or worse than the 5W-30.
( This BTW applies to most everyone who wants to "fine tune"
their viscosity selection to their application).
4, Suggesting he avoid WOT if the engine gets very hot was
to put the OP's mind at rest. ( Most average drivers
rarely use WOT anyway).

Keep em coming, I like the feedback. I feel better about going to work now. Maybe I will log my mileage.

Something important I forgot to add, I plan on driving round trip to michigan and back next week, that is about 600 miles each way. Then about a week or two later going to NC and back, another 600ish each way. How does this effect things?

I'd still leave in the quality 20 wt. It's to bad you don't have an oil temp gauge, but if you sense the oil may be getting hot simply avoid using WOT and you'll be fine.

Why would you want an oil that you may have to "drive around". Having to limit wide open use is not my idea of a good oil.

rarely use WOT anyway).

The point was, why would you want to live with that little of a safety margin? If I can't beat it to death in any temperature, I'm going to find a better/thicker oil.

How do you figure?

Because I've read of far too many spun bearings on Mobil 1 10W-30 for it to be coincidence.

How do you figure?

Because I've read of far too many spun bearings on Mobil 1 10W-30 for it to be coincidence.

So it's more likely the brand of oil, not the fact that they're tracking the car on an oil that's two grades thinner than recommended?

The Subaru's I've read of that spun bearings on M1 10W-30 were specced for 5W-30.

I firmly believe that Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30 are sub-par synthetic oils.

The Subaru's I've read of that spun bearings on M1 10W-30 were specced for 5W-30.

You may have a point with the Subies.

I thought I remember somewhere that there was an issue with baffling in the pan and cavitation in the oil pump?? Maybe I'm thinking of the 944 Porsches.

Perhaps the Mobil 1 isn't leaving enough AW/EP/FM on the bearing surfaces, so during a brief period of low oil pressure there is too much rotating shaft to bearing direct contact?

rarely use WOT anyway).

The point was, why would you want to live with that little of a safety margin? If I can't beat it to death in any temperature, I'm going to find a better/thicker oil.

Good thing you're not the OP ..or he'd already be on his 3rd refresh on the engine due to beating it to death with heavier oils
LOL.gif

j/k
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

rarely use WOT anyway).

Good thing you're not the OP ..or he'd already be on his 3rd refresh on the engine due to beating it to death with heavier oils
LOL.gif

j/k
grin2.gif

LOL.gif

And GM disagrees, and that's why they stuck it in the ZL1. Honda disagrees, they put it in the RDX. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion. It doesn't match that of the manufacturers who put millions into R&D and testing, but who cares.

I have a 02 Camry with 4-cyl, 109K miles

I usually put Mobil 1 5W-20 on it but today all I could find at the local Wally Worlde was Mobil 1 5W-30 for SUVs and that's what I used.

Any experience with it?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

And GM disagrees, and that's why they stuck it in the ZL1. Honda disagrees, they put it in the RDX. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion. It doesn't match that of the manufacturers who put millions into R&D and testing, but who cares.

Mobil 1 has brand name recognition. That's the largest reason it's used as factory fill in those vehicles.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is an outstanding oil, is likely better than Mobil 1 5W-30, and it meets the specs for both the Corvette and RDX. Do you ever see that being used, and bragged about being factory fill by the manufacturers? No. Sometimes a recognizable name means more than actual performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back