Possible Oil Emergency please help ASAP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The Subaru's I've read of that spun bearings on M1 10W-30 were specced for 5W-30.

I firmly believe that Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30 are sub-par synthetic oils.

And GM disagrees, and that's why they stuck it in the ZL1. Honda disagrees, they put it in the RDX. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion. It doesn't match that of the manufacturers who put millions into R&D and testing, but who cares.

Mobil 1 has brand name recognition. That's the largest reason it's used as factory fill in those vehicles.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is an outstanding oil, is likely better than Mobil 1 5W-30, and it meets the specs for both the Corvette and RDX. Do you ever see that being used, and bragged about being factory fill by the manufacturers? No. Sometimes a recognizable name means more than actual performance.

I think they're all girlie oils. Redline is a "real" man's oil.
27.gif

Last edited:

Mobil 1 has brand name recognition.

They do. They are the largest independent oil company and the most profitable company of all-time. They are the world's largest manufacturer of PAO and Ester base-stocks.

Quote:
That's the largest reason it's used as factory fill in those vehicles.

That is complete speculation. You have no factual basis for that claim. Mobil 1 0w40 is the factory fill for the longest list of performance cars on earth. Everything from a Porsche to an SRT-8 Cherokee.

This isn't a "marketing deal" with one manufacturer (though I am quite sure Exxon-Mobil does well by having their Mobil 1 logo on some of the fastest production cars available), the list of manufacturers is quite large.

Quote:
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is an outstanding oil, is likely better than Mobil 1 5W-30, and it meets the specs for both the Corvette and RDX. Do you ever see that being used, and bragged about being factory fill by the manufacturers? No. Sometimes a recognizable name means more than actual performance.

I love the use of the word LIKELY. Because that is frankly all it is, speculation.

And I give Pennzoil props for coming out and meeting the RDX spec.

Castrol is the factory fill for a large array of performance vehicles as well. Is that solely due to brand recognition, or maybe, just MAYBE, they offered a superior lubricant that caused the manufacturer to approach them and they worked out a deal?

Shell (yeah, they own Pennzoil) constantly brags about being the official fuel for Ferrari. Why aren't they the official OIL of Ferrari? After all, if we were to go by your logic, it is "just as good". But they use Castrol.....

Exxon-Mobil has the resources to be able to be able to consistently meet the manufacturer approvals well ahead of everybody else. They have the longest list of factory specs and approvals. Yet that doesn't stop companies like BMW from using other a competitor for their oil choice.

Maybe the reason PP isn't the factory fill in anything is because Shell isn't willing to put forth the money to bother pursuing it.

And maybe the reason our own Pennzoil Johnny observed RETAIL BOXES of Mobil 1 being dumped into the race cars at Daytona is because it is actually a good product. But what do multi-million dollar race teams that do routine tear-downs know about engine wear compared to message board speculation!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

And maybe the reason our own Pennzoil Johnny observed RETAIL BOXES of Mobil 1 being dumped into the race cars at Daytona is because it is actually a good product. But what do multi-million dollar race teams that do routine tear-downs know about engine wear compared to message board speculation!

Teardowns are useless without UOAs.....
LOL.gif

Sad that on a board with so many "oil experts", I bet many would agree with that statment.

Have you made a decision on what weight Redline to use?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Ekpolk " Mr. Fossil.....you could always go one grade up or down, with no problem"

Well we know you've tried 30 wt GC; when can we expect the 0W-10 experiment?

Very shortly after the case of SM approved 0w-10 that you send me arrives upon my doorstep! I will, of course, be a sport, and provide the filter myself.
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Sissy!! Put your Prius and Camry where your rhetorical advocate mouth is!!!
grin2.gif

Besides that...

Mobil 1 0W-40 wasn't on my list. I think the Mobil 1 oils to stay away from are the standard ones, such as 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30. The extended performance, advanced fuel economy, high mileage, truck specific, and european ones seem to all be excellent oils. Significantly better than their lesser counterparts.

I'm actually fairly happy with the Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage that's in my car right now, even though the consumption is no lower than it was with Pennzoil Platinum.

Castrol does make a good oil. The stuff they make for BMW is quite high quality. Even their regular Syntec does well. The 0W-30 Syntec appears to be a real winner.

And I would probably agree that Redline is one of the best oils found anywhere on earth; especially for use in high performance vehicles.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
. . .
What odd sounds? By the time it starts making sounds other than lifter tick, it's too late. If this were the other way around and the guy had put a 30wt into a 20wt spec'd car, the world would be coming to an end.

Surprise, surprise, I disagree!
wink.gif
As you may recall, I owned an 04 G35 which of course had an earlier version of this engine, the VQ35DE. The oil recs for that engine were 5w-30, 10w-30, or 10w-40. Although I experimented around some early on, I mostly used the 12 cSt GC in this engine. Of all the cars I've owned, this one's engine sent the most signals concerning oil variables. To my ear, it was noticeably harsher sounding on thinner oils, and smoother with heavier ones. Mine also exhibited timing chain rattle on startup. The various TSBs claim that TCR only happens in certain VQs, mine was not in the nominal window for it, but even the dealer agreed that it had TCR. But very strangely, only on thin 30s. I say strangely because TCR is supposedly caused when full oil pressure does not reach the timing chain tensioner (timing chains vs belts is not all good...) quickly enough. You'd think the thin oils would "get there" faster, but something else must be happening.

One of the obvious problems here is that this sort of "analysis" relies invariably upon a very, very subjective element -- how the engine sounds to the owner (yes, I know that everyone out there who has worked in a dealer service shop is cringing). For me, anyway, the VQ is an engine that really does talk to you, and really will tell you different things when fed different oils.

Now, without doubt, the VQ40 truck engine is tuned very differently than the VQ35 used in various sports sedans. I would just encourage the OP to listen carefully and see if he can discern any sound differences with the thin oils, and if so, react as he sees fit.

all hear say

Deven: Huh? They must have thrown you out of law school pretty early on. . .

Hearsay (it's one word, not two) is when one person recites or testifies to what another person said at some other time. And technically, it's only hearsay if it is used to prove what that other person said. So if I say, "I heard A screaming and crying, and he said 'I admit it, I killed B'," it's hearsay if we're trying to prove that A killed B; but it's not hearsay if we're trying to show that A was upset.

The only part of my post that might arguably be hearsay is the reference to the TSB. The rest is my description of how that car behaved, based upon my direct observation of it. Since a car is just a machine, and does not make "statements," my description of how it sounds is nothing remotely close to being hearsay. Now I did say that the VQ is an engine that "talks to you". Of course you know what I meant there.

I'm sorry, your objection is overruled.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Ekpolk " Mr. Fossil.....you could always go one grade up or down, with no problem"

Well we know you've tried 30 wt GC; when can we expect the 0W-10 experiment?

Very shortly after the case of SM approved 0w-10 that you send me arrives upon my doorstep! I will, of course, be a sport, and provide the filter myself.
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Sissy!! Put your Prius and Camry where your rhetorical advocate mouth is!!!
grin2.gif

Besides that...

Thank you, Gary, for that little peek into the future! I'm gunna take a wild guess and speculate that you didn't find those bottle markings on the shelf at WM. . .
wink.gif

Quote:
Exxon-Mobil has the resources to be able to be able to consistently meet the manufacturer approvals well ahead of everybody else.

I'm quite sure it's a cooperative. We'll work hand in with you developing an oil to work with your engine under the conditions you specify....spend a long time tweaking everything under the sun to find out what works and what doesn't. In exchange, we get to be the OEM fluid of which all others will have to match to compete.

Sounds reasonable to me. Now since they're the biggest and have some exclusive choke points of merit, it will tend to make them very advantaged over others ..but that's what they went into the thing for to begin with.

This won't go on forever. Well, it might, but not at the pace and the rate of change ..or the scope. With big resources comes big weight and all is fine if the revenue pipeline stays pressurized. Once the wind falls stagnant in its sails ..the giants are the first to suffer.

Hearsay (it's one word, not two) is when one person recites or testifies to what another person said at some other time. And technically, it's only hearsay if it is used to prove what that other person said. So if I say, "I heard A screaming and crying, and he said 'I admit it, I killed B'," it's hearsay if we're trying to prove that A killed B; but it's not hearsay if we're trying to show that A was upset.

The only part of my post that might arguably be hearsay is the reference to the TSB. The rest is my description of how that car behaved, based upon my direct observation of it. Since a car is just a machine, and does not make "statements," my description of how it sounds is nothing remotely close to being hearsay. Now I did say that the VQ is an engine that "talks to you". Of course you know what I meant there.

[censored]. Get over it already.

I was just kidding. Didn't think you'd take it so seriously thus two words hear and say. Sorry didn't mean it to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Quote:
Edit Reason: my english needs a little help too..

Don't feel bad. Most people from NuWingland butcher the King's English without a thought. They're even natives. If you were on the west coast, you could look to d'heir governor for insight into finer communication skills.

Originally Posted By: deven
ekpolk said:
. . .

I was just kidding. Didn't think you'd take it so seriously thus two words hear and say. Sorry didn't mean it to be taken seriously.

I was sorta trying to be funny too. Guess I need to work on the tone myself.

That objection will be sustained.
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

My first "training" on car things was in an 8th grade shop class, during the "automotive" section of the class (heck, at that point, none of us could even drive...). Our teacher was a guy named Mr. Fossil (actually, it was "Faucy", but this guy had fought in WW-II and we were up to the 70s then...). I recall first hearing from him that you could always go one grade up or down, with no problem.

Well there you have it. You can't argue with the knowledge of an 8th grade shop teacher who fought in WWII.

Well of course not! Seriously though, I could have left out the colorful details, but I first heard it from him, and again multiple times over the years. I wouldn't offer that as gospel truth, since there are clearly very sensitive engines for which it might not apply, warranty concerns, and so forth. But on the whole, I believe it's workable advice.

Well I did drive about 400 miles since the oil change and I made sure not to rev the engine over 3,000 RPMs. I do not notice any strange sounds, but it almost seems like it is not working as hard???

I got rear ended (the xterra not me silly) on wed. night and it was not too bad of a rear ending.

Today I get in the car and the service engine light comes on, is this possible that the oil has caused this? It was not the oil light, but checkengine type of light in yellowish orange.

I was thinking that I could either change the oil completely and use castrol euro 0w30 or I could drain out about 4 quarts of the penzoil 10w20 and add 4 quarts of 10w30 that I have in a 5 gallon jug. This would leave me with mostly 10w30 in the car, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back