Porter Cable 7424 is the bomb!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried my new toy out today on the ol spider webbed Grand Am and wow great little tool,worth the coin.

I got one of these 2 weeks ago as well. Got rid of some nasty scratches and swirling. Just doing the swirling goes really quickly. I love it too.

Pad choice is critical.

Good to see more people using the PC. It's a pretty versatile tool. After hardly using mine for a couple years, I've gone back to it using a rather advanced polishing method that works great on almost every car I've tried it on.

Try different pads, polishes and speeds to see what works best for you. It's a fun, easy to use machine that almost anyone can get the hang of.

I finally got one last xmas and love it.

Only do some stuff by hand now, everything else by pc

A great started machine for just about anyone. As mentioned pad choice is critical to getting amazing results.

I got it as a kit from Detailer's Domain off the web they had a killer 18% off everything including PC's so i got the PC with 6 5.5" Uber pads(green,black,blue)then added 3 orange for heavier cutting for a total of $192 to my door,great deal been doing alot of reading on autopia.org for a wile now so i got the right stuff to start here for a basic DIY'er,just doing my own stuff is all.got to get some 4" pads now for tight places i've found out.

spent 5 hrs on the GA yesterday and she shines like new,awsome beats that old wal-mart junk buffer i was playing with. lol

No pictures of the results ?
21.gif

Okay, pad freaks: what pads DO you use with the 7424 for great results?

And I assume you use the 7424 for both applying and removing the product (cleaner, polish, wax)?

A few before my batts died, not bad for a noobie,did my meguiars
105 with orange followed by M202 with green then Duragloss 601 bonding by hand then DG 105 by PC removed by hand then 2 coats of Collinite 845 3 hrs appart.

this thing was all spider webbed and hazed before i started didn't get any befoe pics.
blush.gif

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Okay, pad freaks: what pads DO you use with the 7424 for great results?

And I assume you use the 7424 for both applying and removing the product (cleaner, polish, wax)?

Depends on what condition your paint is in,if it's highly scratched,oxidized etc,you'll need a orange pad with a cutting/cleaning compound followed up by a swirl remover/polish.

if just a little hazy a cleaner compound with a black pad will probably do,i'm just getting into this so it's new to me yet,just gota play with pads and product to see what works best for you and your paint.

Looks great , I would pay you to detail my cars if you lived closer.

I have never been they type of person that enjoyed washing , waxing or detailing my car.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Looks great , I would pay you to detail my cars if you lived closer.

I have never been they type of person that enjoyed washing , waxing or detailing my car.

It's allot of work,,,allot of work,thanks yea i think it turned out good,very pleased,good workout. lol

By hand its a ton of work but with a machine it doesnt take all that long. I'm a CCS pad user for both dual action polishers and rotary polishers. 2 white pads for polish and a hand finish are always what do it for me.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
By hand its a ton of work but with a machine it doesnt take all that long. I'm a CCS pad user for both dual action polishers and rotary polishers. 2 white pads for polish and a hand finish are always what do it for me.

I like(was told)to use the Uber pads or any foam flat pad because it contacts more of the paint,the ccs pads have them holes it in,dunno use what works for you i guess,all new to me.

Paint contact is a mixed bag honestly. On one hand you want maximum contact but on the other hand you dont want all of the heat from having that maximum contact. And rather than have the foam pad get saturated with product I prefer to have the little pockets redistribute as I keep the polisher going. Really its just two ways to get the same job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back