Porter Cable 7424 is the bomb!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lake Country and Sonus pads are good choices.

Canadians can get a really good deal on the sonus pads right now through eshine dot com. Great canadian online detailing supplier. I have used them several times.

Originally Posted By: freeze12
Thanks guys...just ordered a PC FROM AMAZON.COM FOR $112.00

thumbsup2.gif
good price you'll love it,do not get the 6.5" pads,it's too much for a PC do handle when doing bad paint correction,stick with the 5.5 or better yet 4", plus they get into tight places allot better.

6.5" is the perfect size for a PC. Bad paint correction should be done with a rotary/circular and then touched up with a PC.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
6.5" is the perfect size for a PC. Bad paint correction should be done with a rotary/circular and then touched up with a PC.

No,,not according to the pro's at autopia that i've talked too,one can(i've done it)do bad paint correction with a PC but if trying with a 6.5 with good pressure it'll just bog it down and it'll giggle,a 4" on a PC with orange and M105 is the bomb. i've done alot reading and talked to members there,them guy's know there [censored]. i'm trying to learn,getting there slooow. lol

a rotary has it's place too, right i know.

In my experience so far, small pads (5-in) are good for correction but larger pads (LC black or blue) are best for finishing and waxing. Of course, the polish used as well as technique (arm speed, pressure on paint, machine speed) also play a part.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MKZman
In my experience so far, small pads (5-in) are good for correction but larger pads (LC black or blue) are best for finishing and waxing. Of course, the polish used as well as technique (arm speed, pressure on paint, machine speed) also play a part.

right,,one can do bad correction with a PC but with small pads,the big ones like you said are good for cleaners/glazes/wax's.

a PM from a member there;

"For correction via PC, you can't beat 4" pads. I'd skip most all the "kits" on the market and just set up a PC with a small backing plate and some 4" pads. Larger ones are OK for paint cleaners/glazes/LSPs but I never got anywhere trying to correct paint with 'em (even with M105)."

another;

"The big heavy pads (wet with product) are just more than it can handle; when you apply pressure it overloads the PC's ability and causes it to merely "jiggle" instead of doing both of its two motions (you overcome its ability to rotate the pad).

Plus, the effort is being distributed over too large an area.

With 4" pads you can apply pressure without stopping the spinning and the work that's being done can be quite impressive.

I'm always harping about those "kits". They always seem to come with big pads, which people find ineffective. IMO some vendor oughta just come right out and say that it's not the optimal PC-polishing setup and sell a kit with 4" pads for correction and larger pads for (only) jobs that don't require aggressive work."

i love learning this stuff,thanks for all the help guy's.....

Originally Posted By: daman
No,,not according to the pro's at autopia that i've talked too,one can(i've done it)do bad paint correction with a PC but if trying with a 6.5 with good pressure it'll just bog it down and it'll giggle,a 4" on a PC with orange and M105 is the bomb. i've done alot reading and talked to members there,them guy's know there [censored]. i'm trying to learn,getting there slooow. lol

Any pro thats using a 4" pad on a regular PC or even using a PC isnt a "pro" in my mind. They make smaller dual action polishers for 4" pads and better full sized polishers that they'd be using instead of a PC with more power to actually do some paint correction. If you're applying pressure on a PC you're honestly asking it to do too much and misusing it. Thats just my opinion though. All of the detailers I know started with a PC but switched to better machines when they got serious.

Any pro thats using a 4" pad on a regular PC or even using a PC isnt a "pro" in my mind. They make smaller dual action polishers for 4" pads and better full sized polishers that they'd be using instead of a PC with more power to actually do some paint correction. If you're applying pressure on a PC you're honestly asking it to do too much and misusing it. Thats just my opinion though. All of the detailers I know started with a PC but switched to better machines when they got serious.

When i say pressure i mean light to moderate not laying right into it, just to clear it up. thanks Dyoel182!!!!

The advanced elite detailers I know are using the PC with Meguiars M105, a orange light cutting pad, and medium-to-heavy pressure at speed #6 to remove very serious paint defects like swirl marks, rotary hologramming, oxidation, etc.

This was done a few days ago by a good friend of mine. Porsche 996 Turbo in Basalt Black (metallic black color).

BEFORE

img1059h.jpg

HALF AND HALF WITH THE PC

img1084.jpg

FINISHED WITH MEGUIARS M205 AND SEALED WITH ZAINO Z5PRO

img1117iyo.jpg

I have to admit I am amazed at the quality of polishing that can be done with a PC. I completely switched to rotaries a few years ago and used the PC only for light finishing work. Now with this new method developed by Kevin Brown of Meguiars, the rotaries are the tools being left in the bag.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
The advanced elite detailers I know are using the PC with Meguiars M105, a orange light cutting pad, and medium-to-heavy pressure at speed #6 to remove very serious paint defects like swirl marks, rotary hologramming, oxidation, etc.

So are they still using a PC instead of a more powerful machine? People have always used the stronger rotary polishes with their dual action polishers but I'll never put the pressure on one that I've seen some people do.

yea i was reading on that detail on autopia.that guy knows his [censored], sweet,ordering some M105 and 205 soon with some 4" pads!!

So are they still using a PC instead of a more powerful machine? People have always used the stronger rotary polishes with their dual action polishers but I'll never put the pressure on one that I've seen some people do.

Yes, hardly use the rotary anymore. I can't say this PC process is easy; it is very physically challenging and makes for a long, tiring day polishing. But it has streamlined the process and tools used.

I would not have tried it if I had not seen highly skilled people use it effectively. Once I saw what could be done with a PC, it was a bit of a revelation as I also thought the machine was too light-duty for this type of work.

With the right polish/compound/pad i think any serious OB can work,but that's my unprofessional opinion.

With the right polish/compound/pad i think any serious OB can work,but that's my unprofessional opinion.

Are you referring to machines, or what?

I can't think of too many other polishers that would work with this specific process, maybe a couple on the market but that's it.

Yes, hardly use the rotary anymore. I can't say this PC process is easy; it is very physically challenging and makes for a long, tiring day polishing. But it has streamlined the process and tools used.

You kinda answered my question but I'll make sure to get the answer I want this time.
cool.gif
Are they using a Porter Cable dual action polisher or have they stepped up to the professional grade polisher with more power like the Meguiars or Flex?

Kevin Brown Method is pretty good, i think it puts a lot of pressure on the unit, plus pads go quicker.

But as long as it works right

You kinda answered my question but I'll make sure to get the answer I want this time.
cool.gif
Are they using a Porter Cable dual action polisher or have they stepped up to the professional grade polisher with more power like the Meguiars or Flex?

There ya go, ask a better question and ya get a better answer :)

*Everyone I know is using the Porter Cable 7424 and its variants (7335, 7336, 7336SP).

*I am not aware of anyone using this method with the Meguiars G110 but it is possible. I do not scan every detailing web forum.

*I am not aware of anyone using this method with the UDM but it is possible. See my reason above.

*I am not aware of anyone using this method with the Flex 3401 but it is possible. I can say I have some time with the Flex and I would not use it. The Flex is a challenging machine to use and I can get the same results with the cheaper, easier to use PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back