Porsche 944 Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caterham, by chance do you work for Mobil?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Caterham, by chance do you work for Mobil?
smile.gif

Why are you asking Caterham this?
lol.gif

Ok back to the thread and topic at hand..

Quote:
Name one competing oil of similar viscosity that is a better for the price? I haven't found one yet.

Shorten that to just Name one competing oil of similar viscosity and id have to offer up Redline 0W40, other than that i got nothing.

I would put Royal Purple W40 in a car, however. Thats just me. I do not know all that much about that oil or grade of it, only that it exists.

Those that know me know I have zero allegence to any oil company; I call them as I see them.
There is one oil that I do prefer to M1 0W-40 but it is more expensive and that would be a 1:2 blend of Red Line 0W-30 and 0W-40.
Another alternative to M1 would be Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The OP will love the switch to M1 0W-40. The modern lubricant will transform the engine with a release of power, increased responsiveness and the car will become much more enjoyable to drive particularly when cold. His only regret will be why he didn't make the change sooner.

^^2nd. Give M1 0W40 or M1 10W40HM a try. Your car will love it :^)

Last edited:
I think that any A3 oil would work fine in this car.
It does not have especially high specific output, and you aren't tracking it.
The least costly oils meeting A3 according to their blenders, are Maxlife SB and Valvoline Durablend in the 10W-40 grade.
M1 15W-50 would also work well, if you can get a decent price on it.
Synthetics will not by themselves cause leaks, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
M1 15W-50

Does Walmart not carry this anymore? I haven`t seen it there in a long time.

I don't think Wally stocks M1 15W-50 any longer.
I haven't seen it there in some time.
There are always the M1 sales at AAP, AZ, etc, though.
I bought a bunch a few years ago on clearance at Target and Meijer.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
M1 15W-50

Does Walmart not carry this anymore? I haven`t seen it there in a long time.

No, they dont.

Would you put Royal Purple 0W-40 in this car? If it is the S2 version it may be worth considering. Its a big four.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Another alternative to M1 would be Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40.

Which is even harder to find (although some NAPAs have it on the shelf, or can order it) than the RL, and when you do find it, it is at least approaching the price of RL.
frown.gif

But YES, just think of how much of this excellent stuff they could sell if it were on the shelf at China Mart in discounted gallon, or 5 qt. jugs (and that goes TRIPLE for M1 0W-40!!!).
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
But YES, just think of how much of this excellent stuff they could sell if it were on the shelf at China Mart in discounted gallon, or 5 qt. jugs (and that goes TRIPLE for M1 0W-40!!!).
wink.gif

Does M1 0W40 now come in jugs? Check out this list on Mobil`s site. You have to fill out a few things (your search area zipcode and then select "oil" where it says "products" and it`ll say "0W40 jugs":

http://web.sa.mapquest.com/mobil1/?tempset=search

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
wink.gif

Does M1 0W40 now come in jugs? Check out this list on Mobil`s site. You have to fill out a few things (your search area zipcode and then select "oil" where it says "products" and it`ll say "0W40 jugs":

http://web.sa.mapquest.com/mobil1/?tempset=search

It's funny, that search device claims that my local China Mart, and Peppies have the 0W-40 jugs on the shelf, and I've NEVER seen even ONE jug at either place, EVER (and I look EVERY time I'm in either place).
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back