Poor Spellers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I own a Lexus,and my wife owns a Lexus, what would be the plural of Lexus? Lexus', Lexxusis, Lexusisis, Lexi....

Originally Posted By: chestand
I have to admit that poor spelling is one of the things that just bugs me no end. In my job, I have to write engineering reports all the time and the ability to make yourself understood is essential. Also, being a product of 1960's elementary school, spelling was something that was drummed into your head. Misspelling is so commonplace anymore that it's noticed less and less. Apostrophes where they shouldn't be, no punctuation, and generally poor sentence structure are things I notice daily.

"I tried hard to not loose my keys. But, I went ahead and lossed them anyway."

^This.

I'm a product of the 70's version of elementary school, via the Catholic route. The penguins didn't tolerate poor spelling.
grin.gif

What amazes is the number of managerial-types who can't grasp simple things like the difference between "there" and "their". Your e-mail signature may have a bunch of fancy letters after your name, but if you start out by typing "Their is a problnm...", the initials lose their luster.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Somrtimes even my spell chaecker can't guess my words.:))

You and me both.

Fensive, defense, defence, fences,....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: chestand
I have to admit that poor spelling is one of the things that just bugs me no end. In my job, I have to write engineering reports all the time and the ability to make yourself understood is essential. Also, being a product of 1960's elementary school, spelling was something that was drummed into your head. Misspelling is so commonplace anymore that it's noticed less and less. Apostrophes where they shouldn't be, no punctuation, and generally poor sentence structure are things I notice daily.

"I tried hard to not loose my keys. But, I went ahead and lossed them anyway."

^This.

I'm a product of the 70's version of elementary school, via the Catholic route. The penguins didn't tolerate poor spelling.
grin.gif

My wife too, well up until the early 70's.

Originally Posted By: Pete
Spell-correct gets most misspellings. It's usage or simple English ignorance that gets through: things like apostrophes in plurals, then/than, your/you're, to/too, and my BITOG favorite, "Mobile" for Mobil.

The last always brings to mind the song 'Going Mobile' by the Who. So, going Mobile with Mobil.

My favorite used to be a signature of a former member, it's 'hear, their, everywear.' Plurals and possessives are the toughest for me to keep straight at times.

As for OP, seems more like a minor case of lysdexia.

A friend of mine works for county government, he's seen quite a few "pubic releases" and other great uses of "pubic" at public meetings. "Pubic" isn't picked up by spell check but totally inappropriate.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
A friend of mine works for county government, he's seen quite a few "pubic releases" and other great uses of "pubic" at public meetings. "Pubic" isn't picked up by spell check but totally inappropriate.

Now that's something. Those right spelling/wrong word errors are killers.

I saw a guy writing about "compulsive gamming" recently. He was talking about what you do with an Xbox, not what someone who came of age between the world wars might imagine.

Some of the more memorable ones I have seen...

Mazda RX7 with a rebuilt Wanker rotary engine.
A large cargo trailer (Haulmark?) with a tare weight of 5K and a max grouse of 14,500.
A Mustang GT with a new clutch and frywheel.
A truck with powder leather seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back