Pontiac Montana SV6 CEL codes 446 and 455

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a CEL on my Pontiac Montana SV6 2008, 3.9 Flex Fuel engine, short wheel base model. It should be very similar to Chevy Uplander 07 - 08.

A local deal pulled codes P00446 (Evaporative Emmission Control System Vent Control Circuit)

and P00455 (Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (no purge flow or large leak))

We have not done any repair just yet but an emission test is coming up.

My research pointed me to this part# ACDelco-214-2324 - SOLENOID,Evaporative Emission Canister. You can see it on this link.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2957277&cc=1442622

Anyone knows the exact location of this part on my van? and if I am on the right track to fix the CEL?

Some Internet sources suggested it is locate on top of the gas tank toward to the front. I would appreciate if anyone can help with installation procedure and if that involves dropping the entire gas tank or if dropping the front end would do.

Another part is VALVE,Evaporative Emission Canister PURGE SOL, which is located just under the engine cover.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=904303&cc=1442622

I do have some tools but I am not a serious DIY.

Thanks in advance.

Could that be the gas cap? clear the code and make sure the cap is on good.

I will try the gas cap and report back. I clear the codes once by removing the battery negative cable but the CEL came back right away.

Use a GM gas cap. Without seeing it is hard to recommend but I would be replacing the vent solenoid not the purge solenoid first. A stuck open vent solenoid is not uncommon and will also give you a large leak code.

evap vent solenoid is one of the components you can command open and close with the right scan tool. have a friend place their hand on it and command it open and closed with your scan tool. if no action that is the problem.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
evap vent solenoid is one of the components you can command open and close with the right scan tool. have a friend place their hand on it and command it open and closed with your scan tool. if no action that is the problem.

If you read my post, a local dealer pulled the codes which cost my wife $60. I would believe the tech would have done what you said if they know how. Don't they suppose to have the best scan tool? This is why I want to resolve this issue on my own rather than taking it back to dealer again.

The difficulty is to find the location of the evap vent. It may be visible from the passenger side after removing the gas tank shield. Will check this out by the weekend.

Thanks for all your replies.

Originally Posted By: BacDau

If you read my post, a local dealer pulled the codes which cost my wife $60. I would believe the tech would have done what you said if they know how. Don't they suppose to have the best scan tool? This is why I want to resolve this issue on my own rather than taking it back to dealer again.

The difficulty is to find the location of the evap vent. It may be visible from the passenger side after removing the gas tank shield. Will check this out by the weekend.

Thanks for all your replies.

If they had done anything beyond just reading the codes, they probably would have given you a diagnosis and estimate. With what dealers charge around me, $60 just to read & write down codes sounds about right - the diagnostic fee was much higher last time I talked to a dealer.

But anyway, if you're going to go after this yourself a scanner might not be a bad idea. You can get an ELM327 knockoff for $12 or so on Amazon - it connects via Bluetooth to an Android or Windows smartphone, and you can get apps to read & reset codes. I use ODB Auto Doctor to read, and a separate app to reset the light. Both were free. I have Torque too, but haven't used it as much since it's on my wife's phone (I have Windows, so I don't get the good apps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back