Pontiac 3.6L Using Mobil 5K Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using the Mobile's 5000 mile - 5W30 (cause that's what weight my engine says to use) and changing my oil every 4K miles. I was wondering if I should consider going to a full synthetic? I run it pretty hard every now and again and I'm already made mods to the car to put more HP out than stock.

If I should consider a full synthtic, which one? Is there really a big difference between Penziol full syn and Mobil 1?

P.S. I'm new to the forum and haven't had a huge chance to surf around a lot. Can't wait to read more info.

Welcome to the forum!!

there are number of reasons to us synthetic oil, one reason is to extend oil change intervals, another is for better cold start up protection.

lots of folks like both the penzoil platinum and lots of folks swear by mobile 1. I personally use Amsoil, and like how smooth my truck runs on it.

read through the forums ask tons of questions then try something.

you cant hurt your engine using a good oil, read through the used oil analysis that others have posted, thats a good method of seeing whats going on in your engine.

Good luck in your search!!

Last edited:
If your going to stay with a 4000mi change out, you probably will be fine with Mobil 5000. The big advantage of syn in extended drain intervals. What kind of modifications are we talking here?

It also depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. Some synthetics have been proven for 1 million miles.

At 4K oil change intervals run whatever is on the shelf that meets the requirements for the make of your car/engine. You will not see an advantage going synthetic........and I am pro synthetic.

If your engine is sound and no leaks go with the sunt. PP are M1 will serve you well. I've used M1 since the 70s with very good sucess. Many very high mileage Fords.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
If your going to stay with a 4000mi change out, you probably will be fine with Mobil 5000. The big advantage of syn in extended drain intervals. What kind of modifications are we talking here?

Well, I'd love to be able to extend my drain intervals. I've got a cold air intake, ECM / TCM tune high octane tune , custom high flow full cat-back and upper intake insulators with increased runner length.

I run it pretty hard during the summer and track it a half dozen time a year. She's got just under 28K miles and I plan on keeping her a long time. I have changed the oil religiously ever 4K (give or take 20 miles). I see that Mobil 1 is running about $26 for the jug at Wal-Mart so I'd need to double my drain interval to about 8K to make up the difference in price. Is that doable?

You may want to consider Q Horsepower/Q Ultimate Durability. It is on rollback at WM for $18 for the 5 quart jug and there is a $10 rebate on 5 quarts at quakerstate.com, if price is an issue.

I wouldn't go out to 8k miles until you have done a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) at about 6-7K miles on a synthetic, just to get a feel for how rough your oil has it in your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: conradpvcs
Is that doable?

I certainly think so. M1 and PP should both be fine for that long under your conditions.

This is not scientific or backed by UOA's, but some of my family members have pushed MC5000 way too far. My brother let his Lancer go 9K on this oil and my other brother let his F150 go 17K miles
crazy2.gif
. Anyways, when I changed the oil on these cars, they were running perfect. My brother does this all the time on his F150, it runs well at 180K miles, mostly MC5000. Like I said, not backed by UOA, but this oil seems to hold up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back