Polyisobutylene in 2 stroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are guys over on another forum I frequently visit (F150 forums) that swear by using a little 2 cycle oil of the TCW-3 variety increases their fuel mileage by quite a decent amount! They have done several non-scientific studies in their ford trucks and gained on average something around 10% more MPG.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
There are guys over on another forum I frequently visit (F150 forums) that swear by using a little 2 cycle oil of the TCW-3 variety increases their fuel mileage by quite a decent amount! They have done several non-scientific studies in their ford trucks and gained on average something around 10% more MPG.

I use it in 87 & 96 Dodge pickups and John Deere mower. Possibly a little better gas consumption in the trucks and noticeably better on the mower. Trucks also seem to run smoother.

Quote:
Is that ingredient in TC-W3 two cycle oil?

Most likely, albeit it is not the only additive ingredient.

It is used to replace petroleum brightstocks to reduce smoke and increase lubricity.

Synthetic base oils of diesters and PAO are used in the better stuff for synthetic 2-cycle oils.

Last edited:
I do not see any reason that a very small amount would increase mielage by any measureable amount. This is just physics, it takes X amount of energy to move the vehicle some distance. That energy is heat from the combustion process converted to mechanical energy in the engine and through the drivetrain. The PIB would only give insignificant gain in heat due to the PIB burning. Modern cars are already very efficient burning all of the fuel.

Conclusion: unless the PIB can defy physics, it does not have ability to increase mileage.

Maybe the same guys using and claiming PIB gives the 20% mileage increase are also using the HHO fuel and whatever the latest snake oil additive in the crankcase/trans/rearend to reduce friction. Pretty soon they will be making cold fusion and can power their houses with it too!

You always need to look at basic physics for any claims made about getting free energy. There is no free lunch.

PIB claims aren't about zero point energy, but modifying the fuel's behaviour in a high shear environment in the injection process.

The claims are that the droplet size is reduced, allowing more surface area for the reaction to take place, and a more efficient burn.

FWIW...

20% is out there 'though with the HHO folks.

The thread that is linked below is getting a little old now, but I am convinced that high molecular weight PIB can increase mileage.

I would modify Shannow's comment a little by suggesting that HMW PIB may maintain droplets as opposed to vaporization. As a result, the evaporating fuel may not displace as much air.

Since engines are not 100% efficient, you do not have to break the laws of physics to improve efficiency.

PIB Thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=301006&page=1

Originally Posted By: GMorg
I would modify Shannow's comment a little by suggesting that HMW PIB may maintain droplets as opposed to vaporization. As a result, the evaporating fuel may not displace as much air.

Could be right, I was playing off memory when the stuff was discussed ages ago, and I was pulling it out of STP with acetone.

It was tested in aircraft to try to prevent a blevvie formation on a crash, so maybe the thickening up under high shear is the effective mechanism.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Synthetic base oils of diesters and PAO are used in the better stuff for synthetic 2-cycle oils.

Like; Red Line's Watercraft Injection Oil??

Originally Posted By: 38Chevy454
I do not see any reason that a very small amount would increase mielage by any measureable amount. This is just physics, it takes X amount of energy to move the vehicle some distance. That energy is heat from the combustion process converted to mechanical energy in the engine and through the drivetrain. The PIB would only give insignificant gain in heat due to the PIB burning. Modern cars are already very efficient burning all of the fuel.

Conclusion: unless the PIB can defy physics, it does not have ability to increase mileage.

Maybe the same guys using and claiming PIB gives the 20% mileage increase are also using the HHO fuel and whatever the latest snake oil additive in the crankcase/trans/rearend to reduce friction. Pretty soon they will be making cold fusion and can power their houses with it too!

You always need to look at basic physics for any claims made about getting free energy. There is no free lunch.

20% IS high. But consider that not only does the 2 stroke oil have good inherent energy, but it may help the burning of the gasoline. It also is a lubricant[very important]. A small improvement is the volume added to the actual fill volume - a tiny bit more. 2 stroke oil reduces gasoline octane - a minor amount here. That does make for easier light off of the mixture.

Last edited:
So what exactly is the recommended concentration? My Dodge truck has a 22 gallon tank. I would like to try this for a tank full, just for grins and giggles.

By the way: 1999 Dodge Ram Sport
4x4
318 cid
Auto trans

Thanks in advance. Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back