Polyetheramine(PEA) replaced with Oxirane in Redline SI-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker first time poster here. I was going through some of the SDS for several fuel additives trying to see if Redline SI-1 still has the highest amount of PEA.
However, in their latest SDS (issued on 15th June 2021), polyetheramine is no longer listed. It has been replaced with "Oxirane, 2-ethyl-, homopolymer, 2-aminoethylethyl tridecyl ether, branched (CASRN - 959934-87-3)". Does anyone know if this is still the same thing or an entirely different thing altogether?
2021 June - 830019.jpg

The previous SDS (issued on 17th Jan 2020) still contains polyetheramine (CASRN - 224622-34-8) but the content is less than 30%.

Not sure how to upload pdfs here but the SDS can be accessed here
June 2021 - https://w3apps.phillips66.com/NetMSDS/ViewPDF.aspx?fileName=830019&Language=EN&IssueDate=6/15/2021&SubFormat=USDS
Jan 2020 - https://www.oldhallperformance.com/content/si-1 fuel system sds.pdf

Well, I'll go out on a branch here as my organic chemistry is rather rusty. It appears from the name (Oxirane, 2-ethyl-, homopolymer, 2-aminoethyl ethyl tridecyl ether, branched) that this compound is a PEA (polyether amine).

Oxiranes are compounds with a three membered ring comprised of two carbon atoms and one oxygen atom. Ethylene oxide (C2H4O) is an example of an oxirane compound.

In looking at a European Safety Data Sheet for Techron Concentrate Plus GDI, the European product contains a similar Oxirane compound -
Oxirane, 2-ethyl-homopolymer, 2-aminobutyl ether, ether with mixed distn. residues from manuf. of phenol (tetrapropenyl) derivs. and phenol (tetrapropenyl) derivs.

Well, I'll go out on a branch here as my organic chemistry is rather rusty. It appears from the name (Oxirane, 2-ethyl-, homopolymer, 2-aminoethyl ethyl tridecyl ether, branched) that this compound is a PEA (polyether amine).

Oxiranes are compounds with a three membered ring comprised of two carbon atoms and one oxygen atom. Ethylene oxide (C2H4O) is an example of an oxirane compound.

In looking at a European Safety Data Sheet for Techron Concentrate Plus GDI, the European product contains a similar Oxirane compound -
Oxirane, 2-ethyl-homopolymer, 2-aminobutyl ether, ether with mixed distn. residues from manuf. of phenol (tetrapropenyl) derivs. and phenol (tetrapropenyl) derivs.

Thanks for the explanation!
PEA just got a whole lot more complicated for us layman with the extended nomenclature.

Thanks for the explanation.

You are all welcome.

Chemical names can be (and are) really confusing most of the time. There is supposed to be a uniform method to naming chemicals, but if I recall correctly, the rules are just as confusing! Additionally, chemicals can often be members of multiple compound "families" which adds to the confusion.

The Regane I bought a week back did not mention PEA - but specifically made claims for GDI.
dumped in two bottles and disposed of containers
There was a recent thread on this change

Long time lurker first time poster here. I was going through some of the SDS for several fuel additives trying to see if Redline SI-1 still has the highest amount of PEA.
However, in their latest SDS (issued on 15th June 2021), polyetheramine is no longer listed. It has been replaced with "Oxirane, 2-ethyl-, homopolymer, 2-aminoethylethyl tridecyl ether, branched (CASRN - 959934-87-3)". Does anyone know if this is still the same thing or an entirely different thing altogether?
View attachment 79069

The previous SDS (issued on 17th Jan 2020) still contains polyetheramine (CASRN - 224622-34-8) but the content is less than 30%.

Not sure how to upload pdfs here but the SDS can be accessed here
June 2021 - https://w3apps.phillips66.com/NetMSDS/ViewPDF.aspx?fileName=830019&Language=EN&IssueDate=6/15/2021&SubFormat=USDS
Jan 2020 - https://www.oldhallperformance.com/content/si-1 fuel system sds.pdf
I emailed Redline last week about this. They said that the second box in the msds are all PEA chemicals.
Enjoy.

Not a chemist, but if you look up oxirane and polyether amines, what comes up is that they're related and possibly the backbone.

Huntsman offer the world's most extensive range of polyetheramines. Historically, this family of JEFFAMINE® products was developed as a range of monoamines, diamines and triamines attached to a polyether backbone typically based on ethylene oxide (EO), propylene oxide (PO) or a mix of such compounds. The JEFFAMINE® products typically impart increased flexibility, toughness, low viscosity and low color and continue to find major use in areas such epoxy and polyurea coating technologies.​
Huntsman has grown the polyetheramine range to include new backbones, such as butylene oxide and polytramethylene glycol (PTMEG), which bring additional properties and increased utility across this family of highly versatile materials.​
In Europe, BASF currently operates ethylene oxide plants in Antwerp and Ludwigshafen with a combined capacity of 845,000 metric tons per year. The company is the largest producer of ethylene oxide derivatives in the region. Major ethylene oxide derivatives are non-ionic surfactants, ethanol amines, glycol ethers, polyether polyols and other specialty products used in a wide range of industries such as home and personal care, industrial applications and the automotive industry.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back